Sign in with
Your question

Help! I don't know what happened, windows 7 not booting burning smell

Last response: in Motherboards
August 4, 2012 7:49:31 PM

Hey guys, my computer is not booting up. But prior to this, my computer was working fine, until I came across a frozen screen which I let it wait for like 30 min, before holding the power button for 5 seconds. After I turned it on it stayed at a gigabyte screen with options at the bottom which I couldn't choose from since I wasn't getting any USB power to my keyboard or mouse.
Specs:
AMD fx-8150 3.6ghz
Gigabyte ga-970A-d3 am3
AMD radeon hd6950 2gb
8gb ddr3 1600mhz memory
2tb sata III 6gb/s 7200rpm 64mb cache 3.5" hd
Windows 7 home edition

Also after some more hard restarts, my computer isn't even giving me anything on my screen now. Also, there is this plastic burning smell coming from my computer but I can't tell from which part. But it's definitely not from the power supply.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 424 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 8:24:40 PM

You are going to need to stop using it until you can determine what is fried. You could be damaging other components. Or worse, start an electrical fire.

Start by taking the components out and examinig them 1 by 1 for burnt signs and smells. Capacitors are a likely culprit. Take the motherboard out of the case and set it on an insulated surface with just the CPU/HSF, 1 stick of memory, and not even a video card. While the PSU is out of the case, inspect it for same. Short the green and any black wire on the 24 pin connector and turn on the PSU. Check it for burnt smells. If you have a PSU tester or VOM meter, check that all the voltages are present.
If it seems OK, connect the 2 power cables to the board. Power up by shorting the 2 pins the pwr sw. would plug into. Let it start up and look/smell for burns. Pwr down and add a card/monitor, repeat. I'm betting it's the card that died.
m
l
August 4, 2012 9:23:59 PM

Hey thanks for the quick reply, I'll keep in touch with you to see if this works. I'm not a computer expert, but I'll try my best.
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2012 9:40:52 PM

I just opened up the computer and what had happened was that my liquid cooling kit had broke, and I had found it leaking onto my motherboard and I can't be sure if the prossesor or the motherboard has fried. I don't see any signs of it doing so. Have any suggestions for me to do now?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 424 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 1:58:18 AM

I'd do as above. Clean the processor and stock HS/F of the old TIM and apply new. Then run the test I mentioned w/orig HS/F. But if you know for sure the coolant leaked onto the board and you see visible damage, I would guess the board needs repair or replacement. And repair is probably as expensive as replacement.
m
l
!