Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 6790

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2011 9:25:44 PM

iv got a few questions...

1)I'v kinda heard that for some odd reason, the 6790 cant play Mafia 2 can anyone please verify this and if it cant play it, why?? its more than capable hardware wise.

2) THIS CARD or the gainward golden sample 550 ti iv heard that these two cards suck with respect to (price/performance)wise and that the 5850 is much better value ....but where i am its considerably more expensive so what are your thoughts?

thanks to everyone in advance any imput is much appreciated

More about : radeon 6790

June 3, 2011 10:16:17 PM

I dont have an answer on the first question but to second i would advice you to save some money and buy a 560 or 560ti or 6870.As far as the 5850 yes nowadays it's a good value with disent performance.A had a 5870 vapor-x for the last 1.5 years until the last 10 days,tomorow i'm getting my 560ti hawk with is about the same and a little better performance than the hawk,so what i'm telling is that with the new cards you are going to have better performance and support in directx 11 for sure but with the older one's you about 40-50% off the new onces price.
June 3, 2011 10:25:29 PM

Tell us the rest of your system specs and include resolution on the monitor and your power supply please then let us know your price points for the cards. link us to an online store for your area if possible then we can try and recomend something in your budget if you tell us a ballpark figure.
The 5850 is a way better car than either of those two, it seems strange that its getting seriously cheap but you still have them priced high.

Mactronix :) 
Related resources
June 4, 2011 4:02:59 AM

1) can't play Mafia 2? Such issues are usually fixed quickly with a new video card driver update. Don't worry about that.

2) the GTX560Ti is an excellent card of great value. It can play most games at full quality or close to it. It's the card I recommend to most people. I like the Asus (Canadian site link): http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=58457&vpn=ENGTX560%20...

The MSI one is good too: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=58303&vpn=N560GTX-TI%...

Prices vary and there are sales. You can find benchmarks easily online to compare performance between cards.

You should not get the older models of cards. Get either the:
1) AMD HD6xxx series (like HD6870 1GB), or
2) NVidia GTX 5xx series.

The GTX 560Ti is a pretty hard card to beat for value.
June 4, 2011 7:41:01 AM

photonboy said:
1) can't play Mafia 2? Such issues are usually fixed quickly with a new video card driver update. Don't worry about that.

2) the GTX560Ti is an excellent card of great value. It can play most games at full quality or close to it. It's the card I recommend to most people. I like the Asus (Canadian site link): http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=58457&vpn=ENGTX560%20...

The MSI one is good too: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=58303&vpn=N560GTX-TI%...

Prices vary and there are sales. You can find benchmarks easily online to compare performance between cards.

The problem with this is that its all subjective to your price point where you are in the world. The 6790 is a weaker card (slightly) than a 5830, stock for stock. In the UK I can buy a 6790 for about £110 and i can get a XFX XXX edition 5830 for £83. Now its pretty obvious where the smart money would go.
the OP is talking about a 550 card and not a 560Ti which is a different conversation all together as that card in up around the 6950 area performance wise.
There is nothing mainstream the 6xxx series does that the 5xxx series cant do so why not get a cheaper 5 series over a dearer 6 ?
As i said all along its dependent on your price point but to say don't get a older series card is to ignore the price/performance they offer with no loss of features set.

June 5, 2011 12:20:32 AM

photonboy said:

wow thanks for the replies.. i'm currently looking at the 5850Xtreme as where i live (Egypt) its very well priced and its the same price as 6790 where i live but why are you telling me not to buy the older 5xxx series cards... iv heard that the 5850 is even better than its 6 series counterpart! i think the card is great value where i live but what i want yto know is .....what has the 6xxx series cards got on the 5xxx cards? in terms of technologies because im finding it very hard to resist the 5850 Xtreme

and about the 560 card its a bit overkill for me plus its price where i live is 50% more than the 5850 at best so its way out of my budget although it is a really sweet card but sadly not an option

a website that lists prices for my region is www.egprices.com but i think you guys will find it pretty useless but hey. my budget is around 1000LE (FOR GRAPHICS CARD)(Egyptian currency) and $1 = around 5.25 LE (conversion rate)

(God willing) my specs will be (im a first time builder! 15 yrs old)

amd phenom IIX4 955 BE/ core i3 2100
msi 890gtx gd65/ ASRock P67 Pro3
ocz modxstream 700w
centurion 5 case (CM)
2X(2GB 1333mhz kingston RAM cl9)
a seagate 7200 rpm barrucuda 750 GB 16mb i found lying around at home
BenQ g922hdl LED 18.5" @ 1366X768 (but might want to play some games on my 40" lcd full HD hence my desire for a good card!)

the games i want to play (and max out totally)
world in conflict, company of heroes, civilization 5, The sims 3, Fifa 11, PES11, Empire total war, (although not a fan of FPS i would like a system that would max out most modern FPSs COD, BFBC2, MoH) MAYBE JUST CAUSE 2

THANKS for all the replies and i would like to take this opportunity to thank the magnificent THW community who helped me become competent enough to go out there and build my first PC!)
any input is much appreciated thank you all of you for your time.

June 5, 2011 12:38:32 AM

mactronix said:
Tell us the rest of your system specs and include resolution on the monitor and your power supply please then let us know your price points for the cards. link us to an online store for your area if possible then we can try and recomend something in your budget if you tell us a ballpark figure.
The 5850 is a way better car than either of those two, it seems strange that its getting seriously cheap but you still have them priced high.

first of all thank u for ur time and interest i really appreciate it all the info is available in the reply to photonboy"s comment. the 5850 is very well priced where i live should i just go for it even though its a previous gen. card? and how do u rate its preformance @ full HD 1080p? the the 560 is way too pricey for me and the 6790 is the same price as this and the 550 also. plus the 5850 Xtreme has only one dvi port and comes with a vga adapter if i use an old crt (vga input) monitor using the adapter (as i plan to do b4 getting my new monitor for the first week) will the image quality suffer badly? thanks once again for your time i really appreciate it.
June 5, 2011 1:02:57 AM

kss207rc said:
I dont have an answer on the first question but to second i would advice you to save some money and buy a 560 or 560ti or 6870.As far as the 5850 yes nowadays it's a good value with disent performance.A had a 5870 vapor-x for the last 1.5 years until the last 10 days,tomorow i'm getting my 560ti hawk with is about the same and a little better performance than the hawk,so what i'm telling is that with the new cards you are going to have better performance and support in directx 11 for sure but with the older one's you about 40-50% off the new onces price.

thanks for the speedy reply. Price is definitely the deciding factor for me folks and my budget is the equivalent of 150 usd what do you guys recommend? im thinking 5850 Xtreme as it just fits in my budget and have read alot of great things about it. btw 5850 vs 460?
thanks for all you guys who replied your help is much appreciated
June 5, 2011 2:13:59 AM

My plessure to exchange opinions...
Go for the 5850 then it is a very good card especially now that you are on budget it's about the same on performance with a 460 but the 4xx nvidia series aren't so good cards(in my opinion and personal preference...)the load tempratures and power consumption are too high(and i think they are a bit pricier).
June 5, 2011 8:14:45 AM

This is why the pricing confusion
Quote:
the 5850 is much better value ....but where i am its considerably more expensive so what are your thoughts?

This link will explain the difference which is in the UVD http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6850/1...

The 5850 is a seriously powerful card and if you have no interest in 3D gaming then the differences are not of interest to you.

June 5, 2011 1:28:29 PM

2374417,10,112849 said:
This is why the pricing confusion
Quote:
the 5850 is much better value ....but where i am its considerably more expensive so what are your thoughts?

This link will explain the difference which is in the UVD http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6850/1...

The 5850 is a seriously powerful card and if you have no interest in 3D gaming then the differences are not of interest to you.

Mactronix :) [/
first of all thanks for the reply. AHHHH sorry guys i guess im a bit of an idiot to forget to tell you guys that i later found the 5850 (after the first post) at a very acceptable price and cheaper than the likes of the 460 and on par with the 550 and 6790. Sorry for causing the confusion, my bad. What did u say about 3d? do u mean that the only thing the 6 series have over the 5 series ones is the ability to play in 3D ? another thing about the 5850 im starting to think that the internet price of the 5850 is too good to be true so i want to ask you guys a few questions...
1) where you live have you seen a drop in the price of 5850 because i have read on the internet that there prices have been falling of late so have you seen such a decrease or are they one time offers or what? (no internet shopping here in Egypt i have to go to the actual retailers and make the journey to downtown to get definte prices, something i will be doing in the upcoming days but right now im just checking on price comparison sites and Egyptian forums)

2) if for some reason i find this great 5850 deal is out of stock or it tuns out it was a misleading price i saw...what would recommend directly below the 5850? thanks for all you guys help and dedication
June 5, 2011 9:13:48 PM

Yes the price of that card has dropped pretty much the same every where people i have spoken to come from, Europe/ UK/USA.
Sapphire made a deliberate decision to release these cards at this price point. I wouldn't call it a one off but don't expect these cards to be available for that long.
The 3D thing is basically that the 6 series supports it in hardware and the 5 series needs software support. Both can do it the 6 series has native support the 5 series does not.
As far as below the 5850, well you will start to drop into cards that wont run with everything turned on flat out.
Now the 5830 got really bad press when it was released. It deserved it as well because AMD were charging way to much for their fully featured cards never mind a card like the 5830 which is basically the lowest spec version of the Cypress chip that powers the 5870/5850/5830. It ran hot used more power than it should and just wasn't worth the money they wanted for it.
However funnily enough its at almost exactly the same performance wise as the 6790 in fact a little better at stock.
XFX 5830 xxx edition cards have been available here in the UK for a decent amount below the 5850 (25%) and i recently got one for a friend.
You can see the performance difference in the charts on the site i linked to. If a 5850 isn't available then the 5830 wouldn't be a bad idea, also consider cards like the GTX 460 from nvidia, these cards can be bought for a price premium in a factory over clocked variant that can give very similar performance to a 5850. If you fancy trying a bit of over clocking out your self then a lower clocked card can be easily (usually, there are no guarantees) over clocked to the same levels.

June 5, 2011 11:08:31 PM

mactronix said:
Yes the price of that card has dropped pretty much the same every where people i have spoken to come from, Europe/ UK/USA.
Sapphire made a deliberate decision to release these cards at this price point. I wouldn't call it a one off but don't expect these cards to be available for that long.
The 3D thing is basically that the 6 series supports it in hardware and the 5 series needs software support. Both can do it the 6 series has native support the 5 series does not.
As far as below the 5850, well you will start to drop into cards that wont run with everything turned on flat out.
Now the 5830 got really bad press when it was released. It deserved it as well because AMD were charging way to much for their fully featured cards never mind a card like the 5830 which is basically the lowest spec version of the Cypress chip that powers the 5870/5850/5830. It ran hot used more power than it should and just wasn't worth the money they wanted for it.
However funnily enough its at almost exactly the same performance wise as the 6790 in fact a little better at stock.
XFX 5830 xxx edition cards have been available here in the UK for a decent amount below the 5850 (25%) and i recently got one for a friend.
You can see the performance difference in the charts on the site i linked to. If a 5850 isn't available then the 5830 wouldn't be a bad idea, also consider cards like the GTX 460 from nvidia, these cards can be bought for a price premium in a factory over clocked variant that can give very similar performance to a 5850. If you fancy trying a bit of over clocking out your self then a lower clocked card can be easily (usually, there are no guarantees) over clocked to the same levels.

thanks again for your reply, i dont think iv seen the 5830 here in Egypt
so can i conclude from your reply that the 6790 would be a good option? or maybe the 550? or maybe the 5770? i know that the first 2 cards are better than the last one but im talking strictly value and (price performance rating) here so whats your opinion if you had to choose between thos eto cards. thanks for all the help!
June 6, 2011 10:14:00 AM

Performance wise the three cards go 5770-550 Ti- 6790. Based on your resolution any of those cards would be fine. If you are looking at using a full HD 1920 x 1080 display for any length of time then i would advise you to shoot for something a bit better.
As i don't know what your pricing is its difficult to say but i will put it down in pounds and hopefully you will get the idea.
Please remember this is my personal opinion only.
If a 6790 is within your budget and nothing else further up the performance scale is then thats the card to get. On a price performance rating i would only get the 5770 if it was a budget driven decision and i couldn't afford anything higher, even then i would want the 5770 to be 25% cheaper than the 6790 for me to even consider it and even then i wouldn't consider it if the 550 was within a similar price range. So we can pretty much scrub that card i think.

The 550 TI or the 6790 is a little harder to call. Based on your list of games the 550 is looking like a better choice as it bests the 6790 in a few of them by a noticeable margin but then again the 6790 is better at newer more demanding FPS games like Metro and the like.
Again on a personal opinion basis if you can get the Gainwood golden sample 550Ti for the same price, or close to it as a stock 6790 then that is the card i would get.
PS it plays Mafia 2 really well.

June 6, 2011 1:57:41 PM

mactronix said:
Performance wise the three cards go 5770-550 Ti- 6790. Based on your resolution any of those cards would be fine. If you are looking at using a full HD 1920 x 1080 display for any length of time then i would advise you to shoot for something a bit better.
As i don't know what your pricing is its difficult to say but i will put it down in pounds and hopefully you will get the idea.
If a 6790 is within your budget and nothing else further up the performance scale is then thats the card to get. On a price performance rating i would only get the 5770 if it was a budget driven decision and i couldn't afford anything higher, even then i would want the 5770 to be 25% cheaper than the 6790 for me to even consider it and even then i wouldn't consider it if the 550 was within a similar price range. So we can pretty much scrub that card i think.

The 550 TI or the 6790 is a little harder to call. Based on your list of games the 550 is looking like a better choice as it bests the 6790 in a few of them by a noticeable margin but then again the 6790 is better at newer more demanding FPS games like Metro and the like.
Again on a personal opinion basis if you can get the Gainwood golden sample 550Ti for the same price, or close to it as a stock 6790 then that is the card i would get.

thanks for the reply and continued assistance.i think getting the 6790 to run mafia 2 was just a matter of switching the PhysX off or some other trivial matter like that.Anyway i done some extended research and after alot of bargin hunting i was able to save a handsome sum of money on my other components so in think we can forget the 5770. but my my question is (sorry for the huge amount of questions) but is it worth prioritizing the purchase of a Nvidia card over an Ati one because of the PhysX technology? i have heard that its great and that a fair amount of games support it now..thanks for your help in advance
June 6, 2011 2:46:24 PM

mactronix said:

thanks for the reply and continued assistance.i think getting the 6790 to run mafia 2 was just a matter of switching the PhysX off or some other trivial matter like that.Anyway i done some extended research and after alot of bargin hunting i was able to save a handsome sum of money on my other components so in think we can forget the 5770. but my my question is (sorry for the huge amount of questions) but is it worth prioritizing the purchase of a Nvidia card over an Ati one because of the PhysX technology? i have heard that its great and that a fair amount of games support it now..thanks for your help in advance
June 6, 2011 4:21:05 PM

No I personally don't think the 550 is a powerful enough card to make use of PhysX properly while maintaining high enough quality settings and frame rate to make the gaming experience as rewarding as it should be.
I quite like PhysX for what it is but its certainly not something i would base a purchase on, not even on higher performing cards that have the horse power to use it.
Its subjective in the end if you like and want PhysX then go for it, as i said the Gainward card is a better card than a stock 6790 any way so the option is there if you choose to use it. If im wrong and the card can run it then its all good you get PhysX and a great card. If im right you turn PhysX of and still have a great card. Win Win i think.

June 9, 2011 12:42:26 AM

mactronix said:
No I personally don't think the 550 is a powerful enough card to make use of PhysX properly while maintaining high enough quality settings and frame rate to make the gaming experience as rewarding as it should be.
I quite like PhysX for what it is but its certainly not something i would base a purchase on, not even on higher performing cards that have the horse power to use it.
Its subjective in the end if you like and want PhysX then go for it, as i said the Gainward card is a better card than a stock 6790 any way so the option is there if you choose to use it. If im wrong and the card can run it then its all good you get PhysX and a great card. If im right you turn PhysX of and still have a great card. Win Win i think.

thanks for the reply! i have made my mind up and im going to go for the Xtreme 5850 HD by sapphire since its practically a steal!!! thanks for all you guys who helped me in this thread i am forever grateful! im going to buy my components next week!
June 9, 2011 5:08:10 PM

Good choice, enjoy it.

!