Sign in with
Your question

Could i have a conflict with my h55m-ud2h motherboard and i5-650 cpu

Last response: in Components
November 5, 2011 9:35:58 AM

Hello, I have a gigabyte h55m-udh motherboard and a i5-650 LGA1156 cpu. the problem I'm having is my PC just wont turn on. when I press the on button, the fans turn for about a second, then everything cuts out. I've sent my mobo back to get it checked out/repairs, but they returned it to me saying that there's nothing wrong with it.

I've also bought a new PSU, so that can't be the problem, and doubt it could be the RAM as I've tried it with 1 stick and no sticks and I get the same result.

It's strange because it was working fine for a while, but then suddenly it stopped and now I can't get it running again.

I've also cleared the cmos by resetting the battery, but still nothing.

ARGH!!! this is so frustrating!
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
November 5, 2011 10:18:17 AM

What are the power supply brand and specs? Just because something is new doesn't mean it won't work with your motherboard. Some name brands can be doa, or have a bad wire on the atx 24 pin lead.
a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 120 à CPUs
November 5, 2011 12:04:21 PM

That mobo is at bios version F11 now and the majority of i5-650 cpu releases require bios F9 to function properly.
F4 isn't going to cut it,if that's what you're using.
Related resources
November 14, 2011 12:03:06 PM

aplologies for the late reply.
o1die, the power supply brand is Antec TruePower New 650W Modular PSU. I have tried with other power supplies, but this is the one I just recently bought.

davcon, sorry, I don't know what that means! The strange thing is that it was working fine for almost a year, then decided one day "oh, I don't fancy working anymore, I'm going on strike" and presented this problem.

PS, many thanks for your responses and in advance for future ones.

a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
November 14, 2011 12:08:51 PM

I doubt you need a newer bios file. The original one should support the 650. I would try your old power supply first. Some power supplies simply don't work with certain boards. I would also lift your board out and do a bare post on wood or cardboard with just one stick of ram. You can touch the power switch cluster of pins with a screwdriver to power up after everything else is connected. Good luck.
November 15, 2011 7:24:19 AM

Already done it o1die. Even tried with no sticks of RAM, reseated the CPU. I did notice a slight irregular on/off pattern when I took the 4-pin 12V out and just tried it with the 24-pin - it still switch on then off after a split second, but kept looping this process. When I plugged the 4-pin back in, the looping process stopped and only on/off once when I pressed the power switch.
!