Sign in with
Your question

Cant decide on a graphics card, help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2011 11:06:36 PM

alright so this summer i plan on making a computer and i cant decide what would be a good graphics card for my system, im looking for help picking one with reviews / benchmarks etc.

heres my hardware

gigabyte ud4 b3 p67 mobo
i5 2500k cpu
23 or 24 inch lcd monitor, 1900x1080
8gb g skill ripjaws 1600 dual channel 4x2
cm hyper 212+ heatsink
750w hx corsair psu

thats my specs, i was thinking on two gtx 560 ti twin frozr ii OC in SLI but i read that radeons might be the better way to go, looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Some of the games i plan on playing are BF3 (i hear nvidia runs well with battlefield games particularly) TESV skyrim, and whatever other games i buy off steam. im looking for a card that is in the price range of the gtx 560 ti twin frozr (230 dollarish) and wont die on me after using it for a month due to overheating lol. thanks.

OH also, i have a tv that i would like to hook up with my monitor so i can search up guides etc. while im playing, it has a vga hookup on the back so im guessing i just use a dvi to VGA cable? the tv is prob 1300x720ish res does it matter? thanks.

More about : decide graphics card

June 4, 2011 1:08:42 AM

Well how much over that '230 dollarish' are you willing to go? What's your give/take? With that said, here's something cool that you can think about.

The approximate equivalent to the GTX 560 would probably be the Radeon 6950 which can be anythere from 10 - 50+ dollars more depending on where you shop. The next step up would be the Radeon 6970 which is in the 350 dollar range. Here's the cool part;

You can literally make the 6950 a 6970 card. Literally. The performance will be exactly identical, the only difference is that your card says 6950 on it but it is not a 6950. So basically, you're paying for 6950 hardware but getting the performance of a 6970 and that includes overclocking too. You're not overclocking it to be a 6970, you're making it a 6970, then when you OC it, you will be OCing it as a 6970 and not a 6950. Less = more in this case :D  Here's a link for that http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...

So either way you go, I just thought I'd throw it out there so you can see more of your options :) 

As for the TV, as long as you can connect it (as you've said, through a dvi-vga converter), there's no reason why it shouldn't work.
June 5, 2011 3:22:55 PM

so what do you guys think would be better? two gtx 560 ti or one 2gb radeon hd 6950 unlocked to a 6970 and overclocked? i know it would be cheaper to go with the 6950 but is the money i save worth the performance drop? and i read that you have to use a 2gb "reference card" what would be an example of a card that can be flashed?
!