Sign in with
Your question

SSD and Virtual Memory Question!!

Last response: in Motherboards
August 4, 2012 8:53:32 PM

My system runs on Crucial M4 256GB SSD.

I have 16 GB of DDR3 ram. 2x8 Gb Gskill Ripjaws-x.

Now I done almost all the tweaks recommended for SSD systems, except for removing or reducing "VIRTUAL MEMORY".

Right now, since my build is only a single day old, and windows 7 still set more or less on default, the virtual memory is set to AUTO, and I think it stands on 16 GB as well.

Should I remove/reduce the Virtual Memory? and whats the best way to do it.

This is a gaming rig, I don't want to damage performance in or out of games, only improve it, thank you.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 9:27:01 PM

Set it to 5555MB and than u will see if u will see with the time if u will have any need to increase or decrease the size.
m
l
August 4, 2012 9:35:19 PM

Are you trying to kill me?
I am going to set it to 16 MB, the minimum possible, or even turn it off. Is that ok?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 9:44:01 PM

Why would u do that? Don't be cheap on space.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 9:46:46 PM

It will run, and guess what, windows will make page file regardless what u chose, but at that point, your performance is down.

It needs it, set it to 2222MB min and 5555MB max.

That will work just fine in most cases.
m
l
August 4, 2012 9:47:28 PM

Turn it off.
Have 2 systems, one with it on (which I'm about to turn it off on) and a laptop with only 4gb ram which I turned it off on as soon as i installed the system, Seems to run better than my pc lol.

Turn it off.
m
l
August 4, 2012 9:51:46 PM

I read this guide:
http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/ssd-tweaks-to-incr...

I have only one SSD drive for my entire system, thats 256 GB, since all my games and apps are on the same places (I use STEAM) and my OS of course I want to save space and improve SSD performance.

So I can try setting it to minimum, or turning it off. When you try to turn it off below 800 mb, it give a warning that if system get an error, it won't being able to record it right.

So ...?
Again I have 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, and my build is heavy gaming build.
m
l
August 4, 2012 10:10:07 PM

nikorr said:
Read this to understand a little more.
http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/7.html

My drive size isn't huge, its 256, currently with OS and Batman AC and Ghost Recon FS installed I have:
174 free space out of 238 GB - not sure why windows read it as 238 when I "open my computer" but when I press prop it says:
Used 68 k bytes.
Free 187 k bytes
total: 256 k byets 238 GB

Is that counts as ok? My system is 1 day old mind you, everything new, and only few drivers installed, SP1 and win updates.

Anyway, I hope my SSD is ok, and I wondered if I need to touch the pagefiles (I rather not, rather leave it at auto like it is suggested)..
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 2:25:12 PM

mikrev007 said:
Mark Russinovich has made this his speciality. Read what he writes instead, he knows a bit more about this than that author.

And what, are u saying that Mark Russinovich disagree on using the page?

Only if u cannot or wont afford it, than yes, don't use it. Than u will be wondering why at some point your performance stutter for a second here and there.

I read what he writes for long time now.

I tried both set ups and when u run PC all day every day using the RAM and CPU quite bit, than u run into performance gap. Did u? I don't think so.

I've done my test with both systems. And especially W7 loves the page file. Even programs like Adobe can take advantage of that.

But if all u do with PC is play games and browse the net, than u wouldn't notice drop of few frames and freeze every now and than, when your windows have to make a page.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 2:33:31 PM

Ransome said:
My drive size isn't huge, its 256, currently with OS and Batman AC and Ghost Recon FS installed I have:
174 free space out of 238 GB - not sure why windows read it as 238 when I "open my computer" but when I press prop it says:
Used 68 k bytes.
Free 187 k bytes

Is that counts as ok? My system is 1 day old mind you, everything new, and only few drivers installed, SP1 and win updates.

Anyway, I hope my SSD is ok, and I wondered if I need to touch the pagefiles (I rather not, rather leave it at auto like it is suggested)..

I like Auslogic, but what its there, its just a bunch of tweaks,not a guide.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 2:36:04 PM

Ransome said:
Used 68 k bytes.
Free 187 k bytes

And do not select any "Compress this drive to save disk space.!"

That above doesn't make any sense to me.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 2:50:23 PM

Post a pic like this so I can see whats on your mind : )

m
l
!