Does a GameBoy Tri-Wing screwdriver open a VGN-A600 Vaio?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 2, 2005 6:54:52 PM

Sony, in their never-ending quest to drive away customers, has put a
tamper-proof tri-wing screw in their VAIO VGN-A600 laptop. It seems you
have to remove this screw to do anything inside the case, like swap the
CD drive.

My question is, does anyone know if the tri-wing screwdrivers
advertized on eBay to open the GameBoy Advanced also work on the
tri-wing screw in this VAIO laptop?

I've looked around and found a few places selling a size #1 tri-wing
screwdriver, but that looks too big. I think I would need a size #0 or
size #00.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 2, 2005 9:10:08 PM

LarryF@drmworld.com wrote:
> Sony, in their never-ending quest to drive away customers, has put a
> tamper-proof tri-wing screw in their VAIO VGN-A600 laptop. It seems
> you have to remove this screw to do anything inside the case, like
> swap the CD drive.
>
> My question is, does anyone know if the tri-wing screwdrivers
> advertized on eBay to open the GameBoy Advanced also work on the
> tri-wing screw in this VAIO laptop?
>
> I've looked around and found a few places selling a size #1 tri-wing
> screwdriver, but that looks too big. I think I would need a size #0 or
> size #00.
>
> Am I on the right track?
>
> Thanks for your help.

If you have a local electronics/radio parts shop, go there with the
laptop and try out the correct driver. eBay is too much work for a
simple driver.

a b D Laptop
August 3, 2005 2:04:01 AM

On 2 Aug 2005 14:54:52 -0700, LarryF@drmworld.com wrote:

>I've looked around and found a few places selling a size #1 tri-wing
>screwdriver, but that looks too big. I think I would need a size #0 or
>size #00.

A guy at the office went to either CompUSA, or Fry's and bought a set
of driver bits for $10. He was looking for one security bit and it
was going to cost about $8.99 for that bit, when he saw a set of
forty-some-odd security bits for $10. I don't know what all bits were
in the set, but they were all security bits, so it might be worth a
look...
!