Date Created v Date Taken?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 21, 2005 6:54:14 PM

I'm confused about interpreting these two date/time entries, for
photos that have EXIF data. For example, in a Windows folder, I see
that a set of photos have inconsistent time entries, as in the
following example:
Date Created = 04/05/2003 10:33
Date Picture Taken = 04/05/2003 11:33

Exactly the same 1 hour difference is seen for photos in August in
another folder. Yet my Sony DSC-1 Cybershot has no provision for
summer time, and my WinXP PC automatically updates the time when
necessary, so why is that arising?

One I've just taken today shows identical times. We're still in GMT,
so presumably it is definitely a 'summertime/GMT' issue/

In yet another case the Date Created is wildly different, taking the
same value as the date it was modified (i.e, presumably edited,
without loss of EXIF data):
Modified = 29/12/2003 16:06
Created = 29/12/2003 16:06
Taken = 23/12/2003 18:15

Could someone kindly clarify the rules please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

More about : date created date

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:54:15 PM

Hi Terry,

I would have said that the taken time is when you actually took the
picture, whereas the created time is the time the file was created on
your computer file system (i.e. when you downloaded it from your
camera).

I'm not sure regarding the 1 hour time difference... windows can be
funny sometimes. :D

Regards,
Jules
http://www.shuttertalk.com - the friendliest photography forums on the
net!
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:48:39 PM

"Julian Tan" <cuteseal@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Terry,
>
>I would have said that the taken time is when you actually took the
>picture, whereas the created time is the time the file was created on
>your computer file system (i.e. when you downloaded it from your
>camera).
>
>I'm not sure regarding the 1 hour time difference... windows can be
>funny sometimes. :D
>
>Regards,
>Jules
>http://www.shuttertalk.com - the friendliest photography forums on the
>net!

Thanks Julian. I think the explanation for the 1 hour is simply that I
must have failed to alter the time on my camera. So in May and August
the camera was still reading GMT, an hour behind Summer Time.

But that leaves the more confusing issue: what exactly does Date
Created mean? Intuitively I'd have thought as you do, but from the
other example I gave, and there are many more, it plainly does *not*
mean the same as Date Picture Taken (plus or minus an hour for
daylight saving variations). And neither is it consistently the
date/time when the file first met up with Windows.

I've just experimented a bit more with the photo I took yesterday,
21st March at 13:11. Even after resizing it to 50% and sharpening
(both in IrfanView), its Created and Modified dates remain unchanged.
Why? Yet making a Copy changed the Created date, as I'd expect, but
not the Modified date. So that yields the illogical situation of a
file that was modified before it was created!

Modified Created Taken
Frog.JPG 21/03/2005 13:11 21/03/2005 13:11 21/03/2005 13:11 Edited
Frg2.JPG 21/03/2005 13:11 22/03/2005 11:22 21/03/2005 13:11 Copied

Musing over these examples, the best I can come up with is this:

"Date Created = Date Taken (as recorded by camera), except that if it
is subsequently ever copied, the Date Created becomes the date of
copying. However, no degree of editing or moving will alter the date."

Does that match others' experience please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
March 22, 2005 3:10:44 PM

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Thanks Julian. I think the explanation for the 1 hour is simply that I
>must have failed to alter the time on my camera. So in May and August
>the camera was still reading GMT, an hour behind Summer Time.

I've changed my mind - that cannot explain it! When I took the photo
the camera presumably recorded the Date Picture Taken as 04/05/2003
11:33 (4th May). At some later date I moved it to my HD and WinXP
recorded Date Created as 04/05/2003 10:33. But why that hour's
difference? Obviously Windows cannot know whether or not my camera had
been set to the correct time when the photo was taken! Why didn't
Windows simply enter Date Created = Date Picture Taken = 11:33

BTW, if (as I'm pretty sure was the case) I had not manually moved the
camera's clock one hour forward to match Summer Time (around end
March, early April), then that Picture Taken time of 11:33 was
incorrect, and should have been 12:33 (not 10:33).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:10:44 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> I've changed my mind - that cannot explain it! When I took the photo
> the camera presumably recorded the Date Picture Taken as 04/05/2003
> 11:33 (4th May). At some later date I moved it to my HD and WinXP
> recorded Date Created as 04/05/2003 10:33. But why that hour's
> difference? Obviously Windows cannot know whether or not my camera had
> been set to the correct time when the photo was taken! Why didn't
> Windows simply enter Date Created = Date Picture Taken = 11:33

If you used a card reader to transfer the pictures, there's no
reason I can think of why there would be that one hour difference.
But if you used any of Sony's software to transfer the pictures from
the DSC-1, it might have detected the one hour discrepancy between
the camera's and the computer's time, and compensated by adjusting
the creation date by one hour.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 3:30:52 PM

Be aware that the NTFS and CDFS store the time in UTC and present it as
clock time, but FAT simple storeds Clock time, and has no concept of time
zone....

David
!