Will there ever be a point that graphics cards & processors will be...

Viper2

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
so powerful that it will literally take years for any games to max them out?

I mean right now for example, how long will it take before the average AAA PC game can max out a gaming rig with an overclocked Intel i7 2600k processor and GTX 590 graphics card?

What point is a graphics card if there is no software to show off its true potential? What good are games if they arent making the best use of your hardware?

If there is ever a graphics card or a processor that it takes years before games cant be maxed out by them anymore then either someone made an exceptionally lucky break through in chip design and is raking in millions or game designers are slacking, either way its bad for us.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Well some games already bring the cards like GTX 590 and HD 6990 to their knees:
The Witcher 2, ultra settings with ubersampling enabled. And its DirectX 9 only.
Also run Metro 2033 with all settings on very high, 4x MSAA, DX 11 Advanced DoF and tessellation on and the GTX 590 will crawl to a slide show at 2560x1600.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

yeah it fails at the very settings its supposed to run.Even my card can handle ultra setting in withcer 2 without ubersampling

Tamz is right, there are games that bring the 590 to its knees today especially on a multimonitor setup.

But talking about the future as originally mentioned, even if something like the matrix becomes real, new technology will continue to become more efficient. I doubt there will ever be a time when a single chip is powerful enough to handle something like a real matrix.