4pin motherboard connector.. forgot to connect... help needed

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hi guys
while doing some cleaning on my spare pc i forgot to connect the 4pin mobo connector and now when i start the pc it wont even boot....
this all started when i was having problems with temps when using a cool it eco cpu water cooler ... so i decided to remove it and used a coolermaster TX3 instead.... i used coolermaster thermal compound aswell and all seemed ok... however as i mentioned i forgot to connect the 4pin mobo connector...
upon booting i realised my mistake when the pc wouldnt boot and connected the 4pin mobo connector straight away... however when i booted again it still wont boot
after removing the cool it eco my wife noticed how hot the copper cpu base plate was... and i think a mistake in the bios may of caused the eco to overheat causing the pc to shut down
if i have overheated the cpu ( which is a pentium D 915 ) do you need to leave it overnight to fully cool down... as i was trying it straight after ........
or may i have fried the cpu.... that said i allways thought the pc would shut down the pc ( like it did ) to avoid problems like this
im not too bothered about this pc as its one of my many spares... however the pentium D is one of my best "older" cpu,s and i would hate to think ive fried the blighter......
any idea,s what i may have done..... and any solutions
cheers guys !

So you turned the computer on but was the cpu fan working when you did that? If it was I don't see why the cpu would overheat. Or was is a possible voltage spike? If the cpu fan/heatsink was not working then yes you might have fried the cpu. Todays cpu's can be severly damaged in as little as 10-15 seconds with no cooling. The computer does have safety measures to prevent "damage" like auto shut off if the cpu reaches dangerous level but still by that point the cpu can still be severly damaged. Like I said a cpu can be damaged in as little as 10-15 seconds and it might take longer then that before the computer shuts down and by that point the cpu can already be fried. If it was a voltage spike then again it could have fried the cpu.
Let it cool down and then re-try it. Make sure the cpu fan is working right. If it turns on then it should be fine if not the cpu is probably gone.

^LOL!! What fan are you talking about???

Hey Brian: The problem is now that you may have a fired CPU. That is the most likely thing unless the BIOS saved the CPU by shutting the rig off.

Since the rig was started without the cooler on, so you have no circulation of liquid in the eco, thereby raising the temps there by a hell of a lot. Since water is not going to move by itself you need to plug in the eco and get the pump to run so as to avoid any further damage to the eco also.

The BIOS will never cause the Eco to overheat.....
Yes, it will immediately kill the rig to save the components incase of a massive rise in temps.

Since you have a few spare PCs around, I'd suggest trying out the Pentium in any of the other rigs to confirm it is not fried, make sure you have the fans on this one plugged in. and also make sure you haven't forgotten to plug it back in when you put back the old CPU.

While you're at it if you have an extra fan header on the other rig, you could plug in the Eco and leave it just running for sometime to see if the flow is there and the pumps not jammed by the hot liquid.

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Thanks guys for all your replys... its much appreciated..... anyway i tried it again this morning (sunday ) and the same thing happened... however i swapped the coolermaster TX3 for a arctic cooling freezer 7 pro and it booted fine with temps at 39c... so all is well... no fried cpu... but a lesson has been learned...
even with over a decade of pc building and upgrading ect... you can still make mistakes and can still damage hardware.... ive been lucky on this occasion.... the bios/pc did shutdown when the temps sky rocketed and this is what saved the cpu and motherboard
i was using a water cooling loop( cool it eco ) however i was having problems with this and thats when i used the coolermaster TX3..... for some strange reason this was also not working correctly..... however the freezer 7 pro as allways saved the day.....
i dont think the cool it eco water cooler is knackered... i beleive the bios thermal options were the cause of the overheating with the pentium D ... the motherboard in question is a acer oem model which unlike other branded mobo,s does not have the same cooling options ... when i had the eco in my main rig i was able to disable any temperture monitoring options so the eco,s fan would run flat out.... however the acer oem mobo didnt have these options so this probally caused the overheating .....
so anyone using pre built pc,s such as dell,gateway or compaq .... make sure you can disable temperture monitoring options in the bios...
anyway thanks again guys

No, the it wasn't the OEM machines lack of Temperature controllers that caused your's to go on the blink, you just hadn't plugged it in.It was the BIOS's even the lesser option BIOS in the Premade rig that actually saved your CPU and machine.
Please make sure YOU DON'T DISABLE temperature monitoring options in the BIOS since they are the last line of computer saving options you have in a rig.

I use the Corsair Coolers as a matter of fact, 3 of them in 3 different rigs. I actually have my pump plugged on the mobo CPU_FAN header. That way the the temperature monitor on the Mobo controls the flowrates of the pump. The Fans are connected to the CHA_FAN headers on the Boards which are controlled by the temps of the internal of the case or the temps on the mobo..... keeping them nearly noise free but pretty efficient at 3.9 & 4GHz for the past 2 years now.....
If Eco has separate Pump and Fan plugs, you ought to try it in this way.
Glad to hear the CPU was saved though.