Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I got a emachine

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 8, 2011 5:12:33 AM

i have a emachine with 1gb drr and on baord geforce 6100
and i was wondering if it wold be worth installing a new graphic card
or us build a new computer in the case?

More about : emachine

August 8, 2011 5:26:20 AM

kolec94 said:
i have a emachine with 1gb drr and on baord geforce 6100
and i was wondering if it wold be worth installing a new graphic card
or us build a new computer in the case?


It probably doesn't have a free pci-e slot. eMachines are built very inexpensive so they are hard to upgrade.
You may not even be able to use the case either since many eMachines are built with proprietary power supplies etc.

What do you want to do with the computer?

the Prisoner
m
0
l
August 8, 2011 5:29:00 AM

thee_prisoner said:
It probably doesn't have a free pci-e slot. eMachines are built very inexpensive so they are hard to upgrade.
You may not even be able to use the case either since many eMachines are built with proprietary power supplies etc.

What do you want to do with the computer?

the Prisoner

its have one pci e slot and a non propritary power supply
play combat arms if i could
@ 1024x768
m
0
l
Related resources
August 8, 2011 10:34:05 PM

would it be worther put a new video card in or jus take everything out and start new?
m
0
l
August 9, 2011 6:24:35 PM

kolec94 said:
would it be worther put a new video card in or jus take everything out and start new?


I would start new. But before we go on. What model eMachines is this? What cpu etc to you have?
I'm assuming it's a p4 since if you only have 1gb ddr. What operating system are you using(XP)?
How much do you want to spend upgrading?

You could just put a better video card in it but do you plan to build a new computer soon?
If you are planning on building a new computer soon, you are better off not upgrading the old one.

If all you want to do is play Combat Arms which has very low system reqs a new video card wouldn't be a bad choice.

the Prisoner
m
0
l
August 9, 2011 6:32:41 PM

thee_prisoner said:
I would start new. But before we go on. What model eMachines is this? What cpu etc to you have?
I'm assuming it's a p4 since if you only have 1gb ddr. What operating system are you using(XP)?
How much do you want to spend upgrading?

You could just put a better video card in it but do you plan to build a new computer soon?
If you are planning on building a new computer soon, you are better off not upgrading the old one.

If all you want to do is play Combat Arms which has very low system reqs a new video card wouldn't be a bad choice.

the Prisoner

t 3120
its upgrade to 1gb or ddr ram
a 80gb hard drive aND A 40GB HARD drive
right now it have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
but i can put windows xp back on it
m
0
l
August 9, 2011 7:15:08 PM

Here's the motherboard specs if somebody wants to chime in:

SPECIFICATIONS
Processor Supports Sempron Athlon 64 processors (Socket 754) / FSB Up to 1GHz
Chipset North: NVIDIA C51G / South: nVidia MCP51G
Memory 2 184-pin DDR DIMMs / Support DDR 333/400 SDRAM / Supports a maximum memory size 2GB
Video On board Controller Embedded in nVidia C51G / Add on interface 1x PCIe by 16
Audio Controller nVidia MCP51G / Codec ALC 655 5.1 Channels
Onboard Lan Controller+PHY--MCP51G+ Broadcom AC131 / Support 10/100 Mbps
Expand Slots One PCIe x 16 / One PCIe x 1 slot / 2 PCI
Onboard IO 1 Parallel Port / 2 PS2 Connectors / 1 x COM port ; 1 x VGA port / 1 (1 x RJ45 + 2 x USB 2.0) / 1 x Audio connectors : Mic-In, Line-In, Line-Out / 1 x (2 x USB 2.0)
Onboard IDE An IDE controller on the NVIDIA chipset provides IDE HDD/CDROM with PIO bus / Master and Ultra DMA 100/133 operation mode
System Bios ACPI, APM, DMI, SMBIOS, PnP, USB, PC99, PC2001, Y2K Compliant
USB 2.0 8 USB2.0 ports
IEEE 1394 Supports up to 2 x 1394 ports (Optional)
Form Factor uATX Form Factor - 9.6(L) x 9.6(W) (unit : inch)
Serial ATA Controlled by NVIDIA MCP51G / SATA II PORT 2 port with 3GB/s support

First of all, you are below the specs to run Windows 7 so I would go back to XP.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money and pretty much play Combat Arms(It looks like a fun game), I would just upgrade with a inexpensive video card.Maybe a ATI 5450 card.

Of course if you plan on building a new computer soon that will be a waste of money.

The PSU maybe a factor since I have no clue what PSU it uses but the lower end video cards don't use much power.

You have done some nice upgrades to that computer but you have to figure in the long run you could of put that money towards a new one.

the Prisoner
m
0
l
!