Dell Inspiron 5100 won't power up

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2005 1:09:29 AM

My son's laptop refuses to power up. Battery had been fine, Doesn't
work with AC power , or with battery. A yellow light flashes several
times then powers off. No beeps or fan noise. Have tried
swapping/removing memory from slot A to B. etc. With no battery
installed and using just AC, green lights flash but nothing happens.
Any help or direction to pursue would be greatly appreciated.
Is there any way to pull the hard drive and connect it to another
system (laptop or Desktop) in order to retrieve files?

TIA
Lenny
August 3, 2005 5:53:13 AM

Lenny <immewhoru@rocketmail.com> wrote:
: My son's laptop refuses to power up. Battery had been fine, Doesn't
: work with AC power , or with battery. A yellow light flashes several
: times then powers off. No beeps or fan noise. Have tried
: swapping/removing memory from slot A to B. etc. With no battery
: installed and using just AC, green lights flash but nothing happens.
: Any help or direction to pursue would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how to help you there. How about Dell support? Dell
website?

Sounds like a CPU, motherboard, or memory problem. There's always the
chance that some connector simply came lose inside or something.

: Is there any way to pull the hard drive and connect it to another
: system (laptop or Desktop) in order to retrieve files?

Yes. You can buy what is called a USB hard drive enclosure. This in
effect turns your laptop hard drive into an external hard drive that
you can plug into any computer with USB. You would want a 2.5"
inclosure for a laptop drive.

If you have a desktop computer, a cheaper way would be to buy a 44pin
to 40 pin adaptor and plug the laptop hard drive into the desktop as a
slave hard drive, then you could copy all the files off of it.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

On 3 Aug 2005 01:53:13 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
wrote:

>Lenny <immewhoru@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>: My son's laptop refuses to power up. Battery had been fine, Doesn't
>: work with AC power , or with battery. A yellow light flashes several
>: times then powers off. No beeps or fan noise. Have tried
>: swapping/removing memory from slot A to B. etc. With no battery
>: installed and using just AC, green lights flash but nothing happens.
>: Any help or direction to pursue would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Not sure how to help you there. How about Dell support? Dell
>website?
>
>Sounds like a CPU, motherboard, or memory problem. There's always the
>chance that some connector simply came lose inside or something.
>
>: Is there any way to pull the hard drive and connect it to another
>: system (laptop or Desktop) in order to retrieve files?
>
>Yes. You can buy what is called a USB hard drive enclosure. This in
>effect turns your laptop hard drive into an external hard drive that
>you can plug into any computer with USB. You would want a 2.5"
>inclosure for a laptop drive.
>
>If you have a desktop computer, a cheaper way would be to buy a 44pin
>to 40 pin adaptor and plug the laptop hard drive into the desktop as a
>slave hard drive, then you could copy all the files off of it.
>
>Andrew

Andrew, Thanks for the reply. That's just what I needed to know (the
44 pin to 40 pin adaptor) At least I can get his files back before he
has to head back to college. I'll probably put a desktop system
together for him for now (much more comfortable working on Desktops)
=0)
Could it be the battery ? It should work with the AC at least, right ?
Will try taking everything apart and reseating. I think there might
have been an issue with this model overheating ...
Any other ideas anyone ?

Lenny
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2005 7:42:56 AM

TRy putting one stick of memory in slot 1 at a time and see. I have seen
bad memory do that to laptops.

Dewaine

!