Sign in with
Your question

New Graphics Card Dilemma

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2011 8:35:48 AM

Hi there. Just finished my new build with the following specs:

Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 Mb, 4 Gb Corsair Ram, 650W PSU, Phenom IIx2 555be CPU, Coolermaster TX3 and a GTX460 (768MB) Graphics Card that i pulled out of my old machine, Windows 7 Professional Edition.

Im now in a dilemma though. Do i change my 460 for a ATI card as my mb is crossfire ready and has onboard graphics ATI Radion 4290 GPU. Im not very clued upon this which is why Im asking for advice.

Should i keep my 460 (which has always been all i need as i only use the PC for gaming or video editing / converting) or do i upto to a ATI Radeon and crossfire it with the onboard GPU. If so, can anyone recommend a GPU that will give me performance equal to or better than my 460. I have a budget of about £150 if thats any help. If it makes any difference Im going to update my CPU later this year as my 555be crashes when i unlock any of the other cores.

More about : graphics card dilemma

a c 271 U Graphics card
June 4, 2011 8:56:59 AM

I'd advise keeping hold of your cash and reassessing the situation after you replace the CPU.
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2011 9:45:12 AM

fyi, you can't Xfire a single GPU card with onboard graphics...

A few folks 'into' AMD motherboards claim it is not overly difficult to 'hack' the chipset drivers allowing a functioning SLI-capable mb, although not officially supported by the MB or Nvidia....

(If that is possible, a 2nd GTX460(768mb) might allow a cost effective 60-80% boost in framerates...)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 4, 2011 10:12:13 AM

mdd1963 said:
fyi, you can't Xfire a single GPU card with onboard graphics...

Hybrid Crossfire does/did exist, it doesn't apply to the OP though as it was only for the 3xxx series IIRC but it makes your 'fyi' slightly incorrect.
June 4, 2011 4:30:11 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Hybrid Crossfire does/did exist, it doesn't apply to the OP though as it was only for the 3xxx series IIRC but it makes your 'fyi' slightly incorrect.

I was about to comment that you could xfire discrete with onboard graphics but I didn't know that was only for the 3xxx series. Thanks for that tidbit mousemonkey.

Safcfan1971, I completely agree with mousemonkey. You should wait until you upgrade your CPU; or at least wait until there's a game you're playing in which you feel your 460 is no longer adequate.
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 4, 2011 4:37:06 PM

I'm pretty sure it was only the one series that they tried it with.
!