Closed

New PC build worked fine for month, but now shuts down 1 second after

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 5, 2011 7:03:43 PM

Hello all,

I'm actually new to this forum, as I usually like to do as much as I can to solve my own problems.. but I've kind of hit a dead end with this one.

Basically, I recently built a new PC. Everything was working fine, but a couple days ago, my PC would not properly boot. When I hit the power button, the case fans and the cpu fan would start, but 1 second later, the entire system would shut down.

After doing some research, I saw a lot of different possible causes for this, such as shorting, bad psu, faulty ram, etc, but most of these do not really apply, as my PC had been working perfectly for a month.

One thing I want to note is that a couple days before this problem showed up, I got a warning that the voltage on my +5v rail was too low (4.360v). I looked into this too, and it confused me because I had not seen this in warning before, but could this stop booting completely?

Here are the exact parts in my machine
* intel i5-2500k (stock speeds)
* rosewill challenger case
* Asus p8p67 mobo
* 2x4gb corsair vengeance ram (1.5v)
* Seasonic 560w x-series (gold rated)
* Asus EAH6850 1gb gpu
* 1tb samsung spinpoint f3 hdd
* samsung cd/dvd drive

As you can see, I invested a lot in quality parts.. :(  One concern I had was the PSU wattage being too small, but again, I haven't had any problems running cpu/gpu intensive games up until a few days ago.

Things I have tried to fix the problem
* reseat ram/try single sticks and power
* disconnected HDD, cd drive and power
* disconnect GPU and power
* disconnect fans and power

Does anyone have any other ideas I could try? If you need any other information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

More about : build worked fine month shuts

a b ) Power supply
November 5, 2011 7:46:08 PM

are there any beeps?
Anything on the display at all like press Delete to enter setup? Try with everything disconnected except a keybd, monitor, gpu, and 1 stick of ram; verify your cpu fan spins up when you power it on.

If you still dont get anythig then its time to check the voltages on the PSU. You can get a cheap digital volt meter from places like harbor freight for $5 that will work good enough. You don't need a $50 meter. If you dont want to test then just try another PSU. If its not the PSU then its looking like a motherbd issue.
Score
Related resources
November 5, 2011 8:12:01 PM

Thank you both for the responses.

@popatim Unfortunately, I cannot get anything to show up on the screen as the machine powers down before even getting that far.. which makes me think its a short of some kind. As for checking voltages on the PSU, I'm not really sure what that would entail, but I will keep that in the back of my mind, thanks.

@beenthere I have never seen that trick before.. thanks. I will try it out as soon as I can find a paper clip and get back to you, thanks
Score
November 5, 2011 8:25:56 PM

beenthere said:
You can use the paper clip trick to power the PSU up if need be to check the 5V rail. It's possible the PSU had an internal failure.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-powe...

So I just tried the paper clip trick, and I'm really sure how to interpret my results.. Basically, when I start the PSU, I hear a click, and another click when I remove the paper clip. The fan does not rotate, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't unless the PSU is under a load, so not sure if that's good or bad.

Does this mean my PSU is okay?
Score
November 5, 2011 8:27:54 PM

popatim said:
are there any beeps?
Anything on the display at all like press Delete to enter setup? Try with everything disconnected except a keybd, monitor, gpu, and 1 stick of ram; verify your cpu fan spins up when you power it on.

If you still dont get anythig then its time to check the voltages on the PSU. You can get a cheap digital volt meter from places like harbor freight for $5 that will work good enough. You don't need a $50 meter. If you dont want to test then just try another PSU. If its not the PSU then its looking like a motherbd issue.

There are no beeps, but all the fans (case, cpu) do begin spinning before the whole system shuts down.
Score
a c 148 ) Power supply
November 5, 2011 8:40:06 PM

If the paperclip trick doesn't work, your PSU is likely dead....the whole purpose of the paperclip is to fool the PSU into "thinking" it's properly connected under load. But it does not appear that you are using the correct pins as your fans are starting. Borrow another PSU and install it temporarily....Call Seasonic, ya prolly have a nice warranty on that thing.
Score
November 5, 2011 8:57:29 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
If the paperclip trick doesn't work, your PSU is likely dead....the whole purpose of the paperclip is to fool the PSU into "thinking" it's properly connected under load. But it does not appear that you are using the correct pins as your fans are starting. Borrow another PSU and install it temporarily....Call Seasonic, ya prolly have a nice warranty on that thing.

Thank you for your input! I went as far as taking the Mobo out of the case, putting it on top of a cardboard box, unplugging everything except the power to the mobo/cpu fan, 1 stick of ramp, and the power switch, and booting.. same behavior. CPU fan starts, shuts off in ~1 second.

I was wondering if the standoffs or something were shorting it, but I apparently not.. So I guess that pretty much rules out everything besides the mobo and the PSU?

I will ask one of my friends if I can borrow a PSU to verify.

I was just really expecting the PSU to be the last thing to go, since I had heard so highly of Seasonic units.. [:mohsentux:3]
Score
November 5, 2011 9:44:02 PM

UPDATE: So I tried the paper clip trick again with only the case fans plugged in, and the fans worked, no problem... does this mean its the motherboard??
Score
November 6, 2011 12:07:45 PM

dayoon said:
UPDATE: So I tried the paper clip trick again with only the case fans plugged in, and the fans worked, no problem... does this mean its the motherboard??

Since the PSU can power the fans, it does point the finger at the motherboard. Do you have an old computer or someone else's computer that you can test the PSU in? Seasonic are one of the best brands in the PSU industry, quality stuff. However, nothing is perfect.
Score
November 6, 2011 12:34:07 PM

Its the power supply.
Score
November 6, 2011 4:33:57 PM

Thank you all for the responses. I think at this point, im 90% sure (without being able to get my hands on another PSU) that it is indeed the PSU. I say this because having narrowed it down to the PSU and the CPU, the fact that my power supply was showing signs of failing a couple days prior with the +5v rail voltage dropping is enough to convince me that it's probably it. I'll be RMAing the device this week, I hope, and I'll post back when I get one back from SeaSonic. Hopefully I remember to do that :p 
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2011 11:54:20 PM

dayoon said:

no it doesnt mean its the motherboard since there is no load on the psu, it may only be failing when it has load on it. But it could still be the motherboard. try another PSU before you go RMA'ing it and find its not faulty and possible having to pay shipping fees for nothing.
November 11, 2011 11:51:16 PM

Hello everybody,

Not sure if you guys are interested, but I RMA'd my PSU this past week, and just now got an email with a UPS tracking number from SeaSonic. I did not check with another PSU as I do not have access to one, so I kind of took a gamble and just sent it in, but it looks like there was in fact something wrong with it, since they are sending me something back without making me pay 35 dollars.

Thanks again for the great advice, and hopefully the one they sent isn't a dud..
Score
November 11, 2011 11:51:41 PM

Best answer selected by dayoon.
Score
!