UDMA33 to UDMA66, Any difference?

G

Hi everybody. I've just upgraded to a celemine566@877, and have to choose between two boards. Abit BH6 and AOpen Ax63Pro. The former is much modern and has lots of more features (wake on stuff, overcurrent protection, lots of crap...) that were not too usefull for me, but it did have UDMA66 instead of the UDMA33 of the abit.
So I bought the 80 conductors UDMA66 cable and tried the AOpen cause my HD is a Maxtor UDMA66 (20,4 Gb and 5400 rpm). I thought it would blow out of the water the HD performance that of the Abit. But nope, it run just as slow.
DMA was in both enabled, and before I bought the cable the AOpen stated in post that no 80 conductor cable was found and after I plugged it in it didn't (at least cable was found by the mobo).
Is this a HD limitation?
Would it make any difference with a better HD?
is ATA66 the same as UDMA 66?
Is there a guide to all the HD slang in the web?
Too many questions?
Right now the celly is in the abit since it kicks Aopen's ass in Sandra's memory benchmark with the "frequency turbo" on the bios activated (both boards reach 8,5x103 with 1,7 V).
Thanks for any help.

Saludos a todos

BrianL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The higher transfer rates are great for systems with multiple drives on the same cable (IDE port) but there won't be much system speed difference between a single drive on one cable between the 33 and 66 protocols for thru put. This may change somewhat for very high end boards, but for most of us it is true. The manufacturer's sales literature doesn't point that out very often. The drive technology is ahead of the mobos.

G

OK, now I've got a little more knowledge on this neverending learning process of computer stuff.
I´m not planning on making other drives share a cable so I'll stick to the Abit. I'm already thinking o RAID for my next upgrade.
Tanks to both for your help!

Saludos a todos