Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bf3 crashes when loading.. No bsod.. Psu problem?

Last response: in Components
November 5, 2011 9:26:13 PM

Hey all, new to the site. I've used it often to solve previous issues I've had but I can't seem to find a definitive answer for this one. My computer is crashing (no bsod) when bf3 is about to go from the loading screen ( black screen with little blinking square in the bottom right) to the actual Environment. My computer just shuts off and restarts with no indication as why. If a game does manage to load, I can play through the entire game no problems. It's only ever crashed when loading. I have since replaced the ram.. No luck and thinkin it was a hd problem I bought a brand new ssd to install the game on. Still the same problem. I have a Evga gtx 560ti and I'm running a i7 860 for my CPU... With a 750w ps to boot. I really am enjoying the game when I can play it but I don't know if I want to run the risk of hurting my machine with all these hard shut offs... I'm just short of replacing my mobo and psu but I really am hoping there's a simpler solution... Any ideas?
a c 694 ) Power supply
November 5, 2011 9:37:35 PM

Only happens in BF3?
Which 750watt?
Score
November 5, 2011 9:45:17 PM

Ah sorry Its a 800w. An atx-cb800 is the model number.. I swapped my 750 out with my friend a long time ago. And the only other game it happens with is the witcher 2. But that game never had any issues until bf3 started crashing
Score
Related resources
a c 694 ) Power supply
November 5, 2011 9:50:56 PM

Using new drivers and it is not in conjunction with a new card?
Score
a c 694 ) Power supply
November 5, 2011 9:55:32 PM

XtremeGear ATX-CB800 is this your PSU? Can not find info on the net which is not good! Can you get the +12 volt amps of it?
Score
November 5, 2011 9:55:42 PM

No my system has been running fine for months with no problem. I prime95'd for 24 hours with no problem and I ran furmark for about 6 hours on the new 285.62 driver from nvid with no problems as well...
Score
a c 694 ) Power supply
November 5, 2011 9:58:09 PM

Sudden shutdowns point to power issues, PSU or motherboard.
Score
November 5, 2011 10:00:42 PM

Dang. That's kind of what my impression was. On the top of the psu it says +12v1 v2 v3 & v4 so I would assume yes. Is there a way I can troubleshoot the mobo without having to replace and require everything?
Score
a c 694 ) Power supply
November 5, 2011 10:15:56 PM

On the motherboard troubleshooting it is difficult. So it is a 4x +12 volt rail PSU.
Score

Best solution

a c 694 ) Power supply
November 5, 2011 10:20:53 PM
a b ) Power supply
November 5, 2011 10:33:48 PM

If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read...
Score
November 7, 2011 1:33:37 AM

Check the EA/DICE forums it's not your system it's the game a lot of people are experiencing this issue.
Score
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 8, 2011 1:41:56 AM

inspectorduck said:
Hey all, new to the site. I've used it often to solve previous issues I've had but I can't seem to find a definitive answer for this one. My computer is crashing (no bsod) when bf3 is about to go from the loading screen ( black screen with little blinking square in the bottom right) to the actual Environment. My computer just shuts off and restarts with no indication as why. If a game does manage to load, I can play through the entire game no problems. It's only ever crashed when loading. I have since replaced the ram.. No luck and thinkin it was a hd problem I bought a brand new ssd to install the game on. Still the same problem. I have a Evga gtx 560ti and I'm running a i7 860 for my CPU... With a 750w ps to boot. I really am enjoying the game when I can play it but I don't know if I want to run the risk of hurting my machine with all these hard shut offs... I'm just short of replacing my mobo and psu but I really am hoping there's a simpler solution... Any ideas?

I have the fix to all the crashes in bf3 :) 
Make sure to close down bf3 and origin! Origin must not be running!! Then go to your control panel, and press remove program, mark punkbuster, and delete punkbuster. A popup window appers, press finish. Then Reboot your computer. Start Origin, and then RIGHT-CLIK on bf3, and choce repair. Let it do it`s thing, and when finish, the game runs perfectly :) 

Spreed the word :) 
Score
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 8, 2011 1:42:25 AM

cepheid said:
Check the EA/DICE forums it's not your system it's the game a lot of people are experiencing this issue.

I have the fix to all the crashes in bf3 :) 
Make sure to close down bf3 and origin! Origin must not be running!! Then go to your control panel, and press remove program, mark punkbuster, and delete punkbuster. A popup window appers, press finish. Then Reboot your computer. Start Origin, and then RIGHT-CLIK on bf3, and choce repair. Let it do it`s thing, and when finish, the game runs perfectly :) 

Spreed the word :) 
Score
December 5, 2011 6:13:20 PM

Best answer selected by inspectorduck.
Score
December 5, 2011 6:19:58 PM

So, long story short.. I took it back to my local computer shop and the bro there took my liquid cooled heat sink off and after he couldn't get it to seat properly and told me it was my proc overheating... 75 bucks later I have a new heat-sink (not liquid) and he says everything is all fine and dandy.

I take it home, and not 10 minutes later it crashes... I say screw it and spend 200 on a brand new PSU. I received it about a week ago and have been rigorously gaming on it with not one crash since. So it was the psu all along. Shows how little most computer repair places know because two separate places told me it wasn't the psu when I told them that was my suspicion. Lesson learned after spending probably $500 before purchasing the psu at these places..

Oh and I didn't try the thing above... judging that it was a hardware issue, doubt it would have done anything
Score
!