When gaming computer powers down suddenly.

espnjason07

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Ok, I am a noob computer builder. I built my pc about a year ago, and wanted to update my processor to the phenom ii black 965. At the same time I also wanted to add 8 more gigs of ram. I ended up putting my ram in backwards (don't know how) stupidly. When i went to turn my computer on it wouldnt go, so i assumed i had switched something on the power supply, so i switched the red switch from 115 to 230, doh! the computer turned on but black screen and immediately began smoking. I turned it off and saw the charred memory sticks and motherboard.
I have since replaced the motherboard and memory sticks. The computer is running smoothly and fast, no problems. But since my upgrade I now have a problem where when gaming (specifically League of Legends)the computer will just totally shut down.
I have a new ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler and after lots of stress testing etc the issue does not seem to be overheating. My only thoughts are that possibly the two memory sticks that didnt burn were somehow damaged, or that something is now wrong with my psu. Any ideas? help! i dont want to buy anything else unnecessarily.

espnjason07

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
computer specs:
mb- Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H
CPU-AMD Phenom ii x4 965
ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
5 case fans
Video card- Radeon HD 5770
2 wd harddrives at 7200
PSU- Ultra 750w

G

Wow! Cool Dude, Maximum smoke!! Now I am reading that right, you put back in 2 memory sticks that as you say "didnt burn" and now you wonder why the thing crashes? How's this: 4 marshmallows on a stick. The 2 on the end catch fire. The other one's just get a bit brown. Are they still up to "new" quality?

Yea, you're a nOOb alright. :lol: