Building a PC in a couple of months time.

LozBlake15

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Good Morning,

I know you must get 500 of these threads a day, but I'd really appreciate if you could take the time to quickly read through this assembly and give me some advice.

I've built PC's before, but not for about ~4 years so I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of current technology and there strengths. Reading about though this is what I've come up with. My budget is £800-£850, I'll be using my machine two fold. I'm a programmer by trade and will be doing some home stuff outside of work, I'm into web and app development so think lots of visual studio and IIS, quite resource intensive. Also of course, I'll be doing some gaming. I'm more into Civilization, Total War games than Crysis etc. On a side note, I'm trying to make this machine as quiet as possible. It doesn't have to be completely silent, but the quieter the better.

Case : Antec Sonata Elite Black Mid Tower Silent Case - No PSU
Mobo : Asus P8P67 EVO R3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
CPU : Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Memory : Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Memory Kit CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered
HDD for OS : OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read 525MB/s Write 475MB/s 50,000 IOPS
HDD for Storage : Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - Retail Box Including Cables & Screws
PSU : Antec TruePower New 650W Modular PSU
CPU Fan : Zalman CNPS7500-CU LED Socket LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA775, AM3, AM2+, AM2, 754, 939 and 940 CPU Cooler

The obvious exclusion here is a graphics card. I'm going to take the 4850 out of my current rid and use that for the time being, I'll be buying a new graphics card a month or two later. Recommendations for the graphics card are very welcome!

The main parts I'm not too sure of at the moment is the Motherboard, the PSU and the CPU fan.

I've gone for a large amount of memory, one because it's very cheap, also because lots of visual studios and firebug really eats your ram. I'd also like to consider getting rid of the page file, would this be advisable with this amount of memory? Is it worth it for the performance boost?

I'm eager to overclock this a little as well, mainly as a hobby, maybe for a slight performance enhancement too. That's why I've gone with the 2500K, I've heard it's a great processor and the K range can be overclocked too. What about the Mobo and the Cooler, will the take kindly to me overclocking it?

Thanks for reading this, any and all criticism and advice is very much welcome!

Taaaa,
Loz.

spookie

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I wouldn't go for the tripple channel memory as the motherboard only supports dual channel memory. If you do want 12gb, go for 2x4gb with 2x2gb. Most people only need 8gb at most. when doing editing 12gb might come in handy.
The Antec 300 is a cheaper case with better cooling.
Rather go fot a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, it cools a lot better than the Zalman.
Going for the Asus P8P67 Pro could save you some money if you want while still giving great performance. also a Asus P8Z68-V PRO could be a good option.
Your PSU should be good enough.
This is all just my opinion, others might know better :)

LozBlake15

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
The Antec 300 is actually the case I have on my current set up, it's a bit noisy and not as spacious as I'd like I've found, although on review the size of the sonata is the same, so i'll need to revise this.

I don't really understand how memory channels work, however what you say makes sense, I'll switch to two 4gb and two 2gb.

Agree with you on the cooler as well, the cooler master looks the way to go.

Thanks for your help sir!

TRENDING THREADS