European Gamecube in north america

Hi

I have since several years a gamecube in Europe (France). I'm now in Canada
and the video standard is not the same ; PAL / NTSC.
I have a transcoder VCR who translate the pal signal to ntsc signal, so all
my european games work in canada on ntsc TV.
My problem is with canadian game, when inserting the dvd in the console I
have a message that the console can't read the dvd.

Does someone have a solution for this problem ?

Thanks

Franck

Franck wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube:

> Hi
>
> I have since several years a gamecube in Europe (France). I'm now in
> Canada and the video standard is not the same ; PAL / NTSC.
> I have a transcoder VCR who translate the pal signal to ntsc signal,
> so all my european games work in canada on ntsc TV.
> My problem is with canadian game, when inserting the dvd in the
> console I have a message that the console can't read the dvd.
>
> Does someone have a solution for this problem ?

As Miles and Tom are mentioned, the GameCube uses region coding for all
games, so Canadian games can't be played on a stock European GameCube.
However, Datel makes a product called Freeloader that allows out-of-
region games to be played on any GameCube (US, Japanese or European), so
it may work for you.

Info on the Freeloader:
http://us.codejunkies.com/shop/product.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1
&ProdID=142
(watch for text wrap)

HTH. Happy Holidays. :)

--
Glenn Shaw
Indianapolis, IN USA

<< My problem is with canadian game, when inserting the dvd in the console I
have a message that the console can't read the dvd. >>

Your GameCube is still a European GameCube, so it will not be able to read NTSC
GameCube discs unless you have modified the console or you use Freeloader to
accept different regional discs.

Tom

"Franck" <fmesnier@libertysurf.fr> writes:
> My problem is with canadian game, when inserting the dvd in the console I
> have a message that the console can't read the dvd.
>
> Does someone have a solution for this problem ?

I guess the problem is that the GC uses region-encoded disks, so games
from one area of the world typically can't be played on a machine sold
in another area.

There's a software product, I think called called "Freeloader", that
allows you to play games from outside your region (I've never used it
though).

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over. --Ian Wolff