Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which thermal compound would you use?

Last response: in CPUs
November 5, 2011 11:59:01 PM

The thermal compound for my cpu seems to have dried up because it's temps go way up when playing games. Before I was able to play any game for long periods of time and the temps would only go up to about 50 degrees (c). On idle it would go as low as 26-27 degrees (c). I keep all my cpu speeds at stock and I never overclock. But I do play games that demand a lot from a PC especially at MAX settings like Crysis, Rage or Battlefield 3 and others.

CPU Info:

Phenom II x4 965BE
Stock Heatsink

GPU Info:

XFX Radeon 5770

This is the first time that I've had to change the thermal compound. I've tried cleaning out all the dust, temps would drop by 3 degrees but not as low as it used to be. Now my cpu temps are idle at 40-45 degrees (c) and up to 97 degrees (c) when playing games like Assassin's Creed or NFS: Hot Pursuit and then crash after 15 minutes of playing. Now as far as to which thermal compounds I have in mind, I plan to getting either Indigo Xtreme, Arctic Cooling MX-2, or Gelid GC-Extreme High Performance. I've read on other forums people suggesting Shin-Etsu G-751 or Shin-Etsu X23-7783D or PK-1 as well. I didn't want to get Arctic Silver 5 because it has a long curing time even though it has been a long-time favorite. So which one do you use/currently use or which one do you strongly suggest I should get?

Here are some links comparing a variety of thermal compounds:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

http://skinneelabs.com/2011-tim-results/3/

Thanks guys!

More about : thermal compound

a c 141 à CPUs
November 6, 2011 1:20:29 AM

I've used the IC Diamond7 for about a year now and its pretty good stuff so far.
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2011 1:48:36 AM

Quote:
I've used the IC Diamond7 for about a year now and its pretty good stuff so far.

How long did it take for it to settle or for your temps to start dropping?
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
November 6, 2011 1:51:19 AM

My favorite is still old Artic Silver 5. I know its not really "the best" anymore but its still a great thermal paste and does a great job of keeping my I5 cooled.
m
l
November 6, 2011 2:27:12 AM

Mayonnaise and toothpaste are good too. :hello: 
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
November 6, 2011 2:34:40 AM

I saw that. I was like how can I take a review serious when they use mayo, toothpaste and chocolate as "thermal paste". I hope that was just for fun and not serious.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2011 2:41:15 AM

rds1220 said:
I saw that. I was like how can I take a review serious when they use mayo, toothpaste and chocolate as "thermal paste". I hope that was just for fun and not serious.

yes. The toothpaste and stuff was just added to debunk the myths that it can be used for such features. Because a lot of people think its true. So there's the proof its a myth
m
l
a c 198 à CPUs
November 6, 2011 2:45:55 AM

After providing the link, ya gotta ask..... the 80 way test produced a tie for 1st place with 5 TIM's garnering A+ ratings:

uniq TX-3 (0) Aluminum Oxide Moderate 37.65°C A+
Gelid GC-Extreme (0) Aluminum Oxide Low / Thin 37.65°C A+
Thermaltake Grease A2150 (4) Polysynthetic Silver Low / Thin 37.65°C A+
Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Thermal Compound (4) Polysynthetic Silver Low / Thin 37.55°C A+
Shin-Etsu MicroSi G751 (0) Aluminum Oxide Moderate 37.55°C A+

Being a complete "hardware whore" (best numbers wind my dollars), I use the SHin Etsu. It ties AS5 for best thermal performance but doesn't have AS5's annoying curing issues. As a system builder, I can't wait around a few weeks for the TIM to cure so I can finalize the OC settings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Quote:
Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2011 2:53:15 AM

Mx-4
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
November 6, 2011 2:54:58 AM

Thats something that I've been thinking about too. I'm going to be doing a water loop soon and when I do I'm going to have to re-apply thermal paste to the cpu waterblock. I like Artic Silver 5 but the whole 200 hours of curing time is so annoying. This time I would like to get something as good as or better then AS5 but doesn't have the annoying curing.
m
l
November 6, 2011 2:59:09 AM

Shin Etsu x23 7763 is the best :)  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
m
l
November 6, 2011 3:36:58 AM

Tuniq tx-4 It is a thicker paste which is good for direct contact heatpipe coolers due to the fact that it settles into the creveses very well and my temps are pretty outstading if you ask me for air. i5 2500k stock with 25-25-24-25 idle 30c case temp and 20ish ambient and 40-43-45-41 load max core temp i have seen is 49c I use the 212+ and i do not know if it is even worth spending more on a cooler for 2-3 degrees less. its 25 dollars on the egg and I am incredibly satisfied.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2011 3:59:20 AM

They all do the job. Your not going to get miracle temperature drops with them as they're only purpose is to suck the heatsink against the cpu. The rest is up to your cooler, pc's ventilation and ambient temp. Thats the main factors. There's no miracle thermal. Only a correct applied thermal
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2011 8:31:38 AM

Hi

Unless you are overclocking the CPU with the standard (retail) heat sink which thermal compound you use probably does not matter

Not putting too much or too little is more important

regards

Mike Barnes
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
November 6, 2011 9:22:47 AM

I use Arctic Silver 5 mainly because I still have some left in the tube.

One time I did try Tuniq's TX-1 thermal paste that came with the Tuniq Tower heatsink. Big mistake. In about a year that thermal paste basically turned to powder which make it a heat insulator rather than a heat conductor. That resulted in 60C idle and 80C under load.

I quickly replaced it with AS5.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
November 6, 2011 10:20:04 AM

gnomio said:
They all do the job. Your not going to get miracle temperature drops with them as they're only purpose is to suck the heatsink against the cpu. The rest is up to your cooler, pc's ventilation and ambient temp. Thats the main factors. There's no miracle thermal. Only a correct applied thermal

Spot on.

Having said that, I still use AS5. A tube goes a looong way. And I have never noticed any significant difference between pre- and post-cure temperatures.

Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
November 6, 2011 11:26:43 AM

Quote:
Unless you are overclocking the CPU with the standard (retail) heat sink which thermal compound you use probably does not matter

So something like "Indigo Extreme" wouldn't matter too much if I'm not overclocking my CPU?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2011 3:07:59 PM

I use OCZ freeze , still doing it's job on all my laptops and PC builds , oldest is 4 years still running cool . Don't know which is best or if they improve things . Did notice a 4c drop in temps on the AMD PC'S , 6-10 on the laptops , but laptops dif is probably because factory puts way to much compound on the cpu , loks like they trowel it on !
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
November 6, 2011 3:23:44 PM

jsagaga02 said:
Quote:

How long did it take for it to settle or for your temps to start dropping?

I used the IC DIamond 24 and it was near instant. It takes about 2 hours for the paste to sit, while others like AS5 can take up to a year.

Its very good stuff and probably the best I have used.

http://www.amazon.com/DIAMOND-CARAT-GRAM-THERMAL-COMPOU...

Bit higher end than the IC Diamond 7.

Also thanks Gnomio. I have learned from that link of yours that chocolate is a horrible conductor of heat.
m
l
November 6, 2011 5:41:39 PM

I'm leaning towards Arctic Cooling MX-2, Gelid GC-Extreme, and Shin-Etsu (X23 7763 or G751). I know all of these brands won't outdo the other by 4-5 degrees (c), but I want to make a final decision based on other people's experience and also being able to buy the thermal compound locally rather than from online.
m
l
November 7, 2011 9:29:51 PM

Can anyone here settle the score between Arctic Cooling MX-2 and Shin Etsu X23 7763D? Hoping to get one or the other this weekend.
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:32:06 PM

Quote:
Antec Formula 7 - non-conductive so no worries making a mess.

http://www.staples.com/Antec-Formu [...] plesSearch

I was going to link Newegg but they are seriously ripping people off! Okay here look~

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] ormula%207

WOW! Yeah newegg is clearly ripping people off especially on shipping. Thanks for the input, but I rather go with either mx-2 or shin-etsu because of their quality and cheaper price than antec formula 7.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 12:11:58 AM

jsagaga02 said:
Quote:
Antec Formula 7 - non-conductive so no worries making a mess.

http://www.staples.com/Antec-Formu [...] plesSearch

I was going to link Newegg but they are seriously ripping people off! Okay here look~

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] ormula%207

WOW! Yeah newegg is clearly ripping people off especially on shipping. Thanks for the input, but I rather go with either mx-2 or shin-etsu because of their quality and cheaper price than antec formula 7.

I left a review on Newegg mentioning there price gouging... at the the time they were charging like $19 for the Antec and my local Staples had it in store for $12, anyway they wrote me back basically saying they wouldn't allow the review... blah, blah, blah... Newegg is great but it just goes to show it's wise to check the prices of other reputable sellers and not assume Newegg is the cheapest.

Anywho, whatever you decide is what you decide... every paste that has been mentioned prior to this post is unequivocally good. Personally I think Antec form. 7 is the best but it is a pain in the arse to apply due to it being really thick (and I mean thick Seriously). As long as it's (TIM) applied correctly and the heatsink is mounted properly any paste will work...
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 3:03:10 AM

jsagaga02-

Your AMD CPU would shut down long before 97C so either your software is reporting bad numbers or the thermal sensor is bad. If you're not using Core Temp, you should.

Any of the top 10-15 TIMs will serve people well so it matters not which one you use. The diff in temp might be 1C-2C. Big deal. This ain't gonna make your CPU OC by more than .00000000001 Hz. Buy and use what makes you happy.

BTW - As far as Arctic Silver 5's cure time, before and after tests show 1C change so it's not even worth worrying about.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268354-29-thermal-com...
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 3:05:25 AM

beenthere said:
jsagaga02-

Your AMD CPU would shut down long before 97C so either your software is reporting bad numbers or the thermal sensor is bad.

Any of the top 15 TIMs will serve people well so it matters not which one you use. The diff in temp might be 1C-2C. Big deal. This ain't gonna make your CPU OC by more than .00000000001 Hz. Buy and use what makes you happy.

BTW - As far as Arctic Silver 5's cure time, before and after tests show 1C change so it's not even worth worrying about.

+1
m
l
November 8, 2011 1:17:23 PM

Best answer selected by jsagaga02.
m
l
November 8, 2011 1:19:27 PM

Decided to go with arctic cooling mx-2. Thanks for the help everyone! :) 
m
l
!