Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Adjusting RAM help, not the right speed

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 5, 2012 5:12:51 PM

I'm using G.Skill DDR3 2x8 gb Ripjaw-x 1600 mhz.
My motherboard is Asus Sabertooth z77
I am also using Core i5-3570k and Asus 670 GTX DC2T.

I ran 3dmark11 and got a score of P8598
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/4050993

1)Is that right for my new rig? (its a 2 days old so everything is new)
----------------

2) Also If you go down the page, you see on general info that the ram frequency/speed is running @ 667 MHZ.

So I checked online and someone said that you "real" ram frequency is half that of what it's named, so 1600 should be 800 Mhz.

So I went into BIOS, and check and saw that DRAM frequency is set to 1347 or something.

Should I changed it to 1600 Mhz? should I do anything else?

Thank you.

More about : adjusting ram speed

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 5:47:56 PM

Don't know how the 3DMark score stacks up, but as far as the RAM speed goes, just go into your BIOS and enable the XMP profile or you can just manually set the speed, timings, and voltage, as well (which for that Ripjaws X kit (I have that exact kit myself) is 1600 @ 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V).
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 6:05:44 PM

Please explain whats XMP and how do I enable it.

Also, I tried setting my ram to 1648 (I can't set it exaclty to 1600) without changing timing or voltage (since they are already set correctly according to RAM specs.
I then tried launching 3Dmark11 again and twice I had an error saying:

Workload work failed with error message: Process exited unexpectedly
and the benchmark stopped in the middle.

So something about the way or the amount of DRAM frequency I changed went wrong.

Can you help?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 6:18:21 PM

XMP should be in the Ai Tuner section of the BIOS somewhere (not totally sure where, although it may be under "OC Tuner", though).

Why can't you select 1600? That's just strange to me. On my Asus board, I don't even have the option to select "odd" numbers. I HAVE to use 1333/1600/1866 etc. No other way to do it. It's a P8Z68-V LE, but still.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 6:25:04 PM

Something wierd happened now, first I can't find that XMP anywhere.
Second I went back, and press F5 to set to optimal defaults, I done this a bunch of times since I was checking things.

Now on that asus bios, on EZ mode, you can set your mobo to "power saving", "normal", and "optimal" mode, Not sure why, but on optimal mode I got 1500 more score than before in 3Dmark11!
Although when you set to default it brings back to normal. Anyways, now when I try to do it, and Save&reset, it shuts down my pc instead....

And last time I managed to check, numbers of DRAM changed to 1333, 1600 etc!
Also the timing are set to auto now.. and I can't find voltage...

Do you know how to install bios updates from asus? I downloaded a folder with unrecognized files :S...
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 6:29:33 PM

Hmm, not sure what's going on with all of that, honestly. Strangeness going on, for sure. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know, though.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 6:31:38 PM

Wait, can you help me, I don't know how to update bios. Someone suggested, but I went to asus driver and choose the latest update folder but I have no idea how to install it..

Should I do it, and how?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 6:40:34 PM

Ransome said:
Wait, can you help me, I don't know how to update bios. Someone suggested, but I went to asus driver and choose the latest update folder but I have no idea how to install it..

Should I do it, and how?


Honestly, I'm about to head out for now and I won't be back for a while, but just download the newest (or newer than what you have, at least) BIOS file from Asus' site (after unzipping, it should be a .ROM file) and put it on a USB thumb drive by itself (the drive needs to be formatted in FAT32).

After that, boot into the BIOS with the thumb drive inserted and go to EZ Flash 2 in the Tools menu of the Advanced section of the BIOS. I've never done it myself, so I don't know exactly how it works, but from what I understand, you just select the file from the USB drive and it automatically starts the update from there.

As far as should you do it, well, that's up to you because there's ALWAYS a risk involved when updating the BIOS that something might go wrong and leave you with a dead, unusable board. I'm not sure if this is caused by anything that needs a BIOS update anyway.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 6:44:14 PM

Ok thank you.
I rather not update bios at all if I can.

I found the XMP profile, is it stable and safe for the pcs?
Does it Over-clock the CPU automatically? because it says it chooses the CPU ratio limit automatically.

m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 6:56:06 PM

Ransome said:
Ok thank you.
I rather not update bios at all if I can.

I found the XMP profile, is it stable and safe for the pcs?
Does it Over-clock the CPU automatically? because it says it chooses the CPU ratio limit automatically.


I'll answer that before I leave right quick. Yeah, the XMP profile for that kit is perfectly safe. It shouldn't have any effect on the CPU though, since the XMP profile is RAM related only. As far as I know, the XMP profile has no effects on the CPU at all.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 7:20:04 PM

Ok thanks I will set it on!
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 7:52:05 PM

Hey I just found out that using "optimal" mode in EZ mode of the bios, gives your cPU a boost in the Turbo target - to 4.2 instead of 3.8, this is nice. It overclocks other things as well I think. But it makes the memory stand on that weird number 1373 or something.

There is also an option to use OC Tuner.

I consider using one of the two to stay safe and save the trouble of manual OC. what do you think?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 8:28:07 PM

I would try using OC tuner...
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 8:45:08 PM

memory is at a weird speed because the OC probably increased your clock a few percent or fractions of percent to maybe 103 i think by my calculations or something like that.

The way these newer intel chips work makes overclocking very easy because multiplier can be changed separately from clock.

That is why all the builds now say you don't need to buy very expensive overclocking ram because all your speed increases mainly come from Multiplier adjustments. This isn't to say that higher speed RAM has no benefit, but more that don't pay extra for it, since you can use that budget to get much more gains elsewhere for the same $.


So I would suggest for a mild overclock.
Set your RAM to the XMP profile (or manually set it to the clocking values) which adjusts the memory clocking speeds. Set your bclk to 100 even if out of the box they increased it. Then your RAM should display 1600 on the dot. The XMP profile should be very stable when running at regular bclk (100).
If you are using XMP+you also have increases in the bclk, you may not be stable.


Then for your overclock, only just increase the CPU multiplier to get the CPU working faster (when you need to). +4 is very safe, you can push it a bit higher and just monitor your temps and stability..
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 9:12:36 PM

raytseng said:
memory is at a weird speed because the OC probably increased your clock a few percent or fractions of percent to maybe 103 i think by my calculations or something like that.

The way these newer intel chips work makes overclocking very easy because multiplier can be changed separately from clock.

That is why all the builds now say you don't need to buy very expensive overclocking ram because all your speed increases mainly come from Multiplier adjustments. This isn't to say that higher speed RAM has no benefit, but more that don't pay extra for it, since you can use that budget to get much more gains elsewhere for the same $.


So I would suggest for a mild overclock.
Set your RAM to the XMP profile (or manually set it to the clocking values) which adjusts the memory clocking speeds. Set your bclk to 100 even if out of the box they increased it. Then your RAM should display 1600 on the dot. The XMP profile should be very stable when running at regular bclk (100).
If you are using XMP+you also have increases in the bclk, you may not be stable.


Then for your overclock, only just increase the CPU multiplier to get the CPU working faster (when you need to). +4 is very safe, you can push it a bit higher and just monitor your temps and stability..


How do I increase multiplierr in Asus UEFI BIOS?
I only managed to find Ratio clock or something, that when press + went up. But I think this is the turbo clock, no the non-turbo speeds. Since when I come to windows and press on my computer, it says I am still running @3.4.

Can you please tell me where to find that multiplier?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 9:59:08 PM

Ransome said:
How do I increase multiplierr in Asus UEFI BIOS?
I only managed to find Ratio clock or something, that when press + went up. But I think this is the turbo clock, no the non-turbo speeds. Since when I come to windows and press on my computer, it says I am still running @3.4.

Can you please tell me where to find that multiplier?


Ai Tweaker -> CPU Power Management -> "CPU Ratio" OR Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> CPU Power Management Configuration -> "CPU Ratio"

Either one of those is the main CPU multiplier.

You can OC with either the main multiplier or the Turbo mulit's.

To OC with the Turbo multi's, change "Turbo Ratio" in Ai Tweaker to "Manual". From there , you can select "Enabled" or "Disabled" for "Ratio Synchronizing Control".

When "Ratio Synchronizing Control" is Enabled, you can set a separate ratio for each core load condition (1, 2, 3, and finally 4 cores in use). When it's Disabled, you choose a single multiplier for all (has the same effect as disabling Turbo and using the main multiplier). Disabled is probably what you'll want to use if you OC that way, since most people don't care to have Turbo work like it's meant to when OC'ing.

Now, knowing all of that, go ahead and DISABLE the Auto OC (not XMP, just the Auto OC itself). Auto OC's are evil creations that NEVER should be used, lol. Seriously, just OC manually. You'll have MUCH better results at a MUCH lower Vcore, and you won't be OC'ing the BCLK (which is stupid of the Auto OC to do anyway. Another reason to stay as far away as you can from it).

Also, System Info in Windows will never show that the CPU is OC'd for Intel CPU's.

Take a look at this.


That's a screenshot of my own OC, and as you can see, Windows still says that the CPU is at 3.3Ghz, when CPU-Z very clearly shows that it's at 4.5Ghz. That's just an oddity of how Windows reports CPU speeds for Intel CPU's. It's not a problem at all though, since it IS very obviously OC'd.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 11:17:51 PM

Thanks!
What I did was pressing F5 and setting bios to optimal defaults.
Then I went back to Ai Tuner/Tweaker and set to XMP profile.
Then I went to CPU power managment and set the Core Ratio to 40. ( I couldn't do it with mouse, it was stuck on auto, I had to press + until it reached that).

Now I think that sync thing was enabled, all cores run on 40, but the result on the upper left corner of the screen in yellow writing says:
"Syncronized at.....CPU 4000 Mhz, 1600 mhz RAM"

Under minimal work, CPU-z shows my core speed to be 4000 mhz (idle is 1600) and when I check the memory, DRAM frequency is 800 steady.
Did I do it right?
I ran over an hour and 15 minutes of Prime95 on the heaviest test (the blend of RAM and CPU). 89 tests, 0 errors and stops. core temptures of all four were below 60 at all times.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 11:19:05 PM

Looking good then. :) 
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 11:23:23 PM

Thanks! How much do you think I can increase before increase voltage? 41, 42?
I really don't want to overheat my cores, I like them cool. Thus I rather OC as much as it is possible without increasing voltage.
Will see your answer tomorrow, thanks alot for all the help. This had been an awesome and very helpful thread.
I truly appreciate this.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 11:29:11 PM

Probably 41 or 42, yeah, but I'm guessing it's using Auto voltage right now, though, so it's hard to say exactly.

I really do suggest just setting the voltage manually, though (with offsets). Using an offset allows the voltage to drop at idle and using a manual, fixed voltage doesn't.

You'll almost definitely be able to use a lower voltage than the auto voltage will give it (and it'll therefore run cooler).
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 11:39:55 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Probably 41 or 42, yeah, but I'm guessing it's using Auto voltage right now, though, so it's hard to say exactly.

I really do suggest just setting the voltage manually, though (with offsets). Using an offset allows the voltage to drop at idle and using a manual, fixed voltage doesn't.

You'll almost definitely be able to use a lower voltage than the auto voltage will give it (and it'll therefore run cooler).


thanks for the quick reply. I will take a nap in a sec, but can you tell me how to do that offset thing with voltages? currently I think my mobo manages voltages well. In fact I can tell you: CPU-z reads maximum of 1.23 but when idle its 0.984. is that ok?
But if you think it is better to manual set voltage, or at least when you OC, please tell me how/how much.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 11:47:58 PM

That load voltage is fine, but you should be able to go lower manually (for 4.1 on my 2500K, I could use 1.200V).

Offsets are a bit difficult to explain because, like setting voltage the normal way, no two CPU's will ever have the same voltage needs, but take a look at this. This explains it very well. Overclocking Using Offset Mode for CPU Core Voltage

Basically though, just start off low (with a - (minus) offset) and increase it until you can boot and then be stable with stress testing. I used -0.045 for 4.1 on my 2500K, but it won't be the same for you.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 11:59:59 AM

OK all I am changing now is adding a - offset instead of auto.

Um... I am testing now -0.025 on 4.1. If it works, I try going to 4.2 even. might be all I need.

Thanks for all the help.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 1:35:37 PM

Hey something weird happened!
After succeeding with the 4.1 ghz OC, on -0.025 offset. I tried setting my Core Ratio 42 and start the system.

Now I check with CPU-z and see that my core speed is always 4200! and voltage always on max! so basically it never enters the idle state, even when I'm on desktop and do nothing.

What have I done wrong? what should I do to fix this?
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 2:06:49 PM

Ok EDIT: it's not like it doesn't enter 1600 mhz idle state at all, it simply doesn't do that as frequently as before. When I startup windows (and it doesn't take much time) and openup CPu-Z I see that the core speed is 4200 and voltage 1.160. After rather long while it drops to 1600 mhz and voltage under 1.00.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 2:53:54 PM


Here!
Voltage goes to 1.2 for moments when opening windows or some process on windows. but on prime95 with blend torture and 100% load, voltages are better.

I went with 42 core ratio, XMP profile for memory, and -0.025 offset.
m
0
l
!