Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Desktops
  • Processors
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
November 6, 2011 3:55:27 AM

I was looking to build a low power system and am having a hard time finding motherboards for mobile processors in a desktop format like itx or micro atx or atx.

I wanted to use one of the intel core processors from either first or second gen.
I have seen a few listed at pretty low prices.

More about : makes desktop motherboards moble processors

Best solution

a c 105 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2011 1:30:06 AM

alohascott said:
I was looking to build a low power system and am having a hard time finding motherboards for mobile processors in a desktop format like itx or micro atx or atx.

I wanted to use one of the intel core processors from either first or second gen.
I have seen a few listed at pretty low prices.

There are some desktop motherboards for laptop CPUs, although they are expensive industrial/server units. MSI makes the "Fuzzy" line and Supermicro occasionally will make some- they currently make a Socket G2 mobile Sandy Bridge board. Figure about $200 for such a board.

You are much better off in either getting a desktop-socket board and running a low-TDP CPU in it, or getting a consumer embedded board like one of the E-350 boards the poster above linked to. First-generation Core and Core 2 mobile CPUs are not all that stellar performers compared to current low-TDP CPUs. It is also very unlikely you'll find a desktop board that will take one for less than $100-200, even used, because they were rare when they were new. If you absolutely have your heart set on such a setup, look at the MSI, TYAN, and Supermicro websites for Socket M/479 boards.
Related resources
November 8, 2011 2:32:53 AM

well the e-350 has a passmark cpu score in the range of pentium 4 and atoms.
I don't even understand why anyone would buy one of those today.

the i5-2410 cpu i bought is ranked up with the modern day quad cores.

so i am not sure what you mean by poor performance.

a low power system is only nice if it can actually perform at decent levels.

I don't consider Pentium 4 performance decent by any measure.

and by core processors i meant i5 & i7
not core duo
Score
November 14, 2011 11:08:17 PM

Best answer selected by alohascott.
Score
a c 105 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2011 12:33:47 AM

alohascott said:
well the e-350 has a passmark cpu score in the range of pentium 4 and atoms.
I don't even understand why anyone would buy one of those today.

Low cost, very low power consumption, yet still adequate to perform certain tasks. It performs better than Atoms and has more features, but uses FAR less power than an old P4. Think of an HTPC or low-power file server.

Quote:
the i5-2410 cpu i bought is ranked up with the modern day quad cores.

so i am not sure what you mean by poor performance. a low power system is only nice if it can actually perform at decent levels.

I don't consider Pentium 4 performance decent by any measure.

and by core processors i meant i5 & i7
not core duo

[/quotemsg]

You mentioned "one of the intel core processors from either first or second gen" and noting that some of them were listed at very low prices. I read that to mean a Core Duo or Core 2 CPU, since you can get them very cheaply ($20 can get you several of the lower-end models), not a Nehalem or Sandy Bridge-based chip. I guess I don't consider $100+ to be "pretty low prices."

So if you are looking at this kind of a setup, I'd look at one of the T-series 35-watt desktop Sandy Bridges (Celeron G530T, G620T, or G630T, Core i3-2100T or 2120T, Core i5-2390T or 2500T) and pair it with a reasonable micro ATX or ATX LGA1155 board. That will give you a CPU with the same TDP as most mobile Sandy Bridges but you can use a far wider variety of motherboards that cost a lot less.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 1:08:38 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!