Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer wont recognize 2 of my USB's! Help?!

Last response: in CPUs
November 6, 2011 8:34:21 AM

Hello,

I have 2 USB's and an external hard drive at the moment. I am having trouble getting the 2 USB's to work at all on my computer. The first one stopped working a couple months back, but I didnt worry to much about it because it was only a 2GB USB, and I had a 16GB that I could use. A couple hours ago the exact same thing happened to my 16GB USB after I used the "Safety Remove Hardware" option when I was plugging it into my Xbox 360. Now every time I plug in either USB into any computer (I have tried more then one PC) I get the "USB Device is Not Recognized" message. I will give you details on what I am using and the things I have tried to fix the problem already so you are clear.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

The USB's are made from different manufacturer and are totally different in size.

They both stopped working at random times.

I have tried plugging them both into different computers and I still get the same message.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers and then re installing that did not work.

I have tried updating the drivers it said they were up to date.

They do NOT show up in "My Computer" were my internal and external drive is located.

I know the USB ports on my PC are working properly because I have tried plugging in other things. (iPhone)

They show up in Device Manager, but they show up as "Unknown Device"

I have tried the unplugging the PC trick to reset the motherboard (which did work for a similar problem, but not for this)

I have tried troubleshooting the problem by going to Device and Printers and right-clicking on troubleshoot which did nothing except tell me there was a problem. (Which I already know already obviously)

I have searched online for the past 3-4 hours now, and found nothing. Just to be clear. The most common response to a problem like this was to go right-click on "Computer" and then click "Manage" then going to "Storage" then "Disk Management" and assigning, or changing the drive letter. I can not do that because my USB's are not even shown in Disk Manager which apparently is rare because I found almost nobody with that problem let alone an answer to it.

These USB's I don't think have any data on them at all, but if they do it is not important to me if I lose it that would be fine I just want to be able to use my USB's again because I do not want to buy any more that's kind of ridiculous there has to be a fix. If anyone has any solutions I am willing to try anything at this point. Any help at all would be more then appreciated.
Thanks!
a c 791 à CPUs
November 6, 2011 11:08:53 AM

In device manager can you re install drivers?
November 7, 2011 2:15:48 AM

rolli59 said:
In device manager can you re install drivers?

No I can not I tried that already. (I mentioned in the post that I did)

"I have tried uninstalling the drivers and then re installing that did not work."

"I have tried updating the drivers it said they were up to date."
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 7, 2011 3:04:24 AM

When the file system on a thumb drive gets jacked up usually they are unrecoverable.

I have 2 or 3 paperweight thumb drives upstairs atm because of that problem.

You let somebody borrow one and they rip it out without safely removing and that's all she wrote.

You said that it was taken out safely, but I am not sure that is a 100% guarantee.
November 7, 2011 4:38:35 AM

Yeah I figured that. Thanks for letting me know. I was just hoping for that hidden fix haha. Well, thank you.
November 7, 2011 4:38:55 AM

Best answer selected by TooMuchClutch.
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2011 5:45:37 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!