Starting Windows RAM

sebistrong

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Hello! I'm just starting my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I already have 2GB in use out of 4GB RAM.
What can I do to fix this or what the problem could be?
How can I lower the usage of RAM when Windows starts?

PS: I used Run - msconfig - unchecked a lot of starting processes.

Ry4n

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
It might be your BIOS settings, I've heard that the MOBO (Motherboard) changes settings sometimes because it think it's right or something on the lines of that.
[I could be wrong though just double check just in case.]

G

is there something that needs more than the other 2 gigs?

(pssst the answer would be no, not in normal usage)

sebistrong

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Nope... I looked in Task Manager at Processes from all users and there's a lot of them with 1k. At moment I have 10 processes over 10k and just started windows. My physical memory is 35%. Total processes 78.

Yes and no.

Most common programs won't use more then 2GB. 64 bit programs on the other hand tend to be optimized for large amounts of memory, specifically their not frugal with memory use. Put a few programs together and you'll shoot past 2GB pretty easily. Also windows file cache must be taken into account, maxing your physical memory usage will result in small caches and frequent disk hits even for random background process's.

Memory is so cheap now, just get 8GB and be done with it. Will go a very long way.

G

see you're fine.
unless you use something like photoshop and edited large images or video in premiere it is doubtful you'll ever go past 3.5 gigs.
i got 8 gigs when i bought the components for this rig thinking i am going use a buttload of it in photoshop or encoding for DVDs; i have yet to hit 5 gigs.

TRENDING THREADS