How to upgrade my CPU

kegga62

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Shortly I will be upgrading my AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ to a AMD HDZ955FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Processor - Quad Core, 3.20GHz, 6MB L3 Cache, 2MB L2 Cache, Socket AM3, 125W, Fan, in My, ASUS, M2N32-SLI, Deluxe, motherboard Bios updated 5/3/11 to 5002. I would really like step by step instuctions in how to install and get the new Quad Core running in my motherboard. Can anyone help me ?

Solution

kegga62

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Sorry. But people have put that CPU into the asus M2N32 SLI deluxe motherboard and are running it with no problems. I saved a step by step installation guide to put that CPU into my board at: Guru3D.com

And no issues like that the CPU is running at 800MHz (4 x multiplier) which happens in most cases when it is not compatible? If everything is fine enjoy.

kegga62

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Asus M2N32 SLI Motherboard Tested Processors(please inform me if there are any to add):

Athlon X2 7750 BE
Athlon II X2 240
Athlon II X4 630
Phenom II x3 720
Phenom II X3 740BE
Phenom II x3 810
Phenom II x4 920
Phenom II x4 940BE
Phenom II X4 945
Phenom II x4 955
Phenom II x4 955BE
Phenom II X4 965 125w

kegga62

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Your Asus M2N32 SLi Deluxe.

By Hitoriko – Excerpts from BigJohn44’s Guide

*NOTE* THIS IS ONLY A GUIDE - I nor Overclock.net or any members from The ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club can be held responsible if things go pear shaped proceed ahead at your own risk

*THANKS TO:
OVERCLOCK.NET – Greatest Overclocking forum I suggest you all join so A. you can thank the following people and B. Join the M2N32 Club!

BigJohn44 as he first found out this could be done and I have taken a lot of his original post and used in these steps – if you want this removed, modified or anything changed in anyway shape of form contact me via the forum.

GYRO & N2GAMING: 2 of the best guys on the forum always happy to help and give you ideas for overclocking and help when you stuff up :p.

WHAT YOU’LL NEED:

ASUS M2N32 SLi WITH 2209 BIOS this must be done BEFORE you install your new CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955/965 CPU
SOME FORM OF AFTERMARKET CPU COOLER – (IM USING A ZALMAN CMPS9500-AM2)
PS/2 KEYBOARD

DOWNLOAD THE FOLLOWING:

BIOS UPDATE 2209 – Found Here
NFORCE DRIVERS – Found Here
NVIDIA System Tool Version 6.05 – Found Here
CPU-Z – Found Here
CORE TEMP – Found Here
3DMARK06 – Found Here

THESE ARENT NESSACERLY THE BEST PROGRAMS TO USE BUT THIS IS WHAT I USED.

NOTE: FOLLOW THESE STEPS EXACTLY, IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO I CANT BE 100% SURE THAT IT WILL WORK AND NO DAMAGE WILL OCCUR.

NOTE: FOR THIS TO WORK YOU MUST HAVE A NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD IF YOU DON’T ONCE AGAIN I CANT BE 100% THAT YOU WILL GET THIS TO WORK.

DOWNLOAD & BACK UP

A. First Download all the drivers & programs listed above and backup any important files to either a spare HDD/USB or Burn to CD/DVD. When all the files are downloaded, uninstall your graphics drivers and any other NVIDIA software you have installed.

RESTART

B. Install the new graphics drivers, CPU-Z & Core temp

RESTART

Install Ntune, 3DMARK

RESTART

C. Run CPU-Z and validate your current settings, Next run core temp and minimize it, you should see your CPU temp in the taskbar next to your clock, then run 3DMARK and check your score write/save the details to notepad. Open core temp and write your MIN & MAX temps down and write/save the details to notepad.

BACKUP ALL FILES THAT ARE IMPORTANT – NOW WE GET SERIOUS!

SHUTDOWN THE PC AND MOVE ONTO PART 2

BIOS SETTINGS AND PRE-CPU INSTALL

Now first thing you need to do is go into the bios, and reset to defaults, save & exit and let the PC restart after it boots into Windows, extract the 2209 bios Zip file to your c:\ it must be just in your c:\ not in a folder or anything! Shutdown again.

Remove the power from the PC – TAKE THE POWER COARD OUT – remove the side panel so you can access your motherboard. Reset the Bios if you don’t know how to do this I suggest you stop now and read more about computers before venturing further. After resetting the BIOS its time to Flash your BIOS, to do this go to the last section in your bios screen and choose the EZFlash option it will ask for the BIOS file to use, choose the 2209 one in your C:\ wait for it to upload and install when its complete you can save & exit from your bios and shut down the computer.

INSTALL THE CPU

Follow the standard process to do so and also check all your fans and give your case a general tidy, fix cables and remove any dust. – You may as well while your there.

CPU BIOS SETUP – FIRST TIME

just a quick check so you can get into windows and start getting the chip running 100%. Boot up and go into your BIOS, Go to the system tools tab and system config, this is where all your overclocking options are (as im sure you already know: D) now use the following settings and leave the rest.

- Change the Settings to Manual so you can adjust the CPU
- Change the CPU Voltage to at LEAST 1.33v
- Change the RAM Voltage to 2.1v (If you don’t know your RAM Voltage leave on AUTO)
- Change the Multi to x16

Leave everything else on Auto.

Save & Exit and boot into Windows

Here's what you have to do to make it work. When you installed the latest video drivers, it automatically created the NVIDIA Control Panel which allows you to adjust monitor resolutions, SLi, physx etc. When you installed The NVIDIA System Tool Version 6.05 - this contained a program called the Performance Tool and it will have integrated itself into the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Open the control panel and you will see the menu selection for the performance tool. Click on it and it'll ask you to agree that you won’t hold nvidia accountable for anything you damage while using said program, etc, etc. Agree and the performance feature will be available.

When you open the Control Panel you will have four selections (CPU, Motherboard, Memory and Video Card). Click on the CPU section at the top and you will find several adjustments for the cpu, to include dropdown selections for the four cores. Select the appropriate multiplier for each core (Change this Value to x16 for each core).

NOTE: One thing to note here is you must set the highest multiplier level you want to use in the bios first---otherwise, the core settings in the Performance Tool only permit what was set in the bios (for example, if you set 16x in the bios, then up to 16x will be available in the performance tool---17x, 17.5x, 18x, 18.5x, etc) set this to high and you wont be able to boot into windows and will have to start again from STEP 4.

Click apply and it will adjust your CPU clock speeds, now save profile, save the profile as BOOT – on the performance tab there is another option called profile policies click on that, then click on the second window WHEN THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET, select “The system first starts windows” then click load profile and choose the boot profile, click apply.

CPU-Z and all of the other measuring tools will now recognize all four cores and will give you the correct clock speeds.

You should now have your new quad core ready to use.

NOW GO AND REPEAT STEP 1 – C

Repeat Step 1 – C and check your scores and temps!

COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS TO IMPROVE THIS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME ON THE FORUM

Hitoriko.

kegga62

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I was hoping to get out of upgrading my PC as cheeply as possibable. Now I'm wondering if I should just order a new Asus M4N75TD Motherboard - Socket AM3, nForce 750a SLI, ATX, RAID, SATA, Gbit LAN, Hybrid SLI and just put the AMD Phenom IIx4 955 into that. I think it would save me alot of head ackes.