Display Problem: "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

strike74

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
STORY:

So, about a month ago, I bought myself a college laptop - A Samsung QX410. Today, I installed The Sims 3 on it and it runs marvelously!! But then, after running the gaming for about 5 minutes, the screen blinked black for a few seconds and took me to a blue screen that said many scary things, one of them being, "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed." This is the first time this has ever happened to me, I thought. So.... it must have occurred because of the game I just installed! Yes! That MUST be it! I then proceeded to uninstall my display driver (Intel) and my graphics driver (Nvidia) and reinstall them from their corresponding websites. Along with this, I updated the BIOS from version 03MX to version 05MX. Now that I was feeling quite accomplished with my genius computer skills, I reopened The Sims 3 expecting it shine like gold - but it failed... again... after about 5 minutes. Please help me fix this problem!!

NOTES:

I can successfully run games like Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, Dungeon Siege, WarRock, and the pre-installed chess program with no problems! The crash occurs only in-game (it does not crash if I am on the game menu or something).

PC SPECS:

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Intel Core i5 CPU (~2.7 GHz)
4096 MB of RAM
Intel HD Graphics
Nvidia GeForce 310M

HELP ME!!!

strike74

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Bump.

Come on guys! I REALLY need some assistance here! Any suggestion - no matter how vague - would help me out with this predicament! Let's just look at the situation: Laptop never has display issue until I install The Sims 3. I play The Sims 3 on medium/high settings. For some reason, the game runs for a few minutes and then decides to quit. Why does it not fail when the game begins? Could it be an over-heating issue? Perhaps something is overloading. Yes, there is some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.