Sign in with
Your question

Matching Memory Sticks

Last response: in Memory
August 6, 2012 12:01:31 AM

Hey Guys,

I know this might be a rather common question, but still I will go ahead and ask it anyways.

I have ordered parts to build a new system, and I got a 16 GB (8 x 2) memory kit. My MoBo supports 32 GB of memory. I was actually planning to get another 16 GB of memory onto my system.

This is the one I have right now. (Though, I didn't put together the machine yet)

My Question is: Can I add another 16 GB of the same make and if I did, would it work ? ( since they have the same latency, timing and speed)

Or am I better off just leaving it the way it is ?

Mobo:
CPU: AMD phenom II x4 965 BE
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 256 bit

Thank you.

More about : matching memory sticks

a b } Memory
August 6, 2012 1:46:51 AM

16 GB is fine. I generally don't advise installing more unless the person is dealing with extra large spreadsheets and databases.

That said, if you do want to install another 16GB, then matching memory will work, even if it's not the exact same model number or manufacturer.
m
l
August 6, 2012 9:21:30 AM

What's wrong with 32gb of memory? cost?

I was thinking of 16gb for general ram and 16gb for RAM Disk to be used for a photoshop scratch disk (more expensive than SSD but I think a lot faster if I'm not mistaken..)

Of course the OP probably has different needs than I do as a photographer.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
August 6, 2012 9:34:25 AM

It's not cost, at least for me, it's just not necessary.
m
l
August 6, 2012 10:24:51 AM

Thanks for your reply guys. Yea, I do a lot of database programming.... so I figured having 32gb might help. And on top of that I also run a couple virtual machines.

Yea, I am getting a 120gb SSD as a boot drive for my Ubuntu .... and having a large memory i guess increases the overall performance. Plus, I can mount /var and /tmp in the RAM memory and reduce my SSD writes.
m
l
!