Sign in with
Your question

KVM switch

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 22, 2003 5:20:53 PM

I,m interested in buying a KVM switch. I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion. The keyboard is Dell enhanced USB and the mouse is a wireless microsoft Intellimouse Explorer and the monitor is a Dell LCD. The first computer is a Dell Dimension 8200 with Win xp home, the second is an older Dell Dimension xps d300 with Win 98se.

Can i just put adapter cables on the mouse and keyboard and use a ps/2 KVM switch?

More about : kvm switch

February 22, 2003 8:26:12 PM

yea, you should be able to use adaptors, i got 3 somtimes 4 computers at work on a switch, dont get the belkin switches. maybe they have gotten better, but the ones i have worked with have problems. id say about 20% of the time i switch to another computer, the mouse doesnt work till i unplug it and plug it back in. its very annoying. you would also do better with the kind that has buttons for each terminal, not just 1 2 3 4 in order.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
February 23, 2003 3:20:17 AM

I think Belkin make good KVM switch. I and my cousin each have a 4 port Belkin SOHO series KVM. We did not have any problem with it. Tom's hardware also did a review a while back and the review stated that Belkin KVM is better than the other KVM they reviewed.

There is the link to the review.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/network/20011017/index.htm...
March 14, 2003 4:12:24 AM

I've got an Belkin OmniView-Pro 4 and I have never had any problems with it in the past. The only problem I'm experiencing with using it now, is not actually with the KVM, but with my mouse. I have a Logitech MX500 and once you change channels on the KVM once, you lose all the extra button functionality, even though the drivers are installed on both PC's. This is a known problem and Logitech states on their site that they do not support the use of this mouse through a KVM.

I previously used a Logitech Optical 2 Button Scroll mouse with no problems switching between PC's.

Other than that, the thing works wonderfully.
!