Canon or Nikon or wait?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 21, 2005 5:27:10 PM

I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion. Also,
the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel XT
is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the heaviest.
With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
me with deciding!

Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always close,
but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually pretty far
away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while hunting--so
need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices' baseball, soccer,
volleyball and basketball--and you have it!

Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction) at
about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS although
slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too (and much
lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)

For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.

The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?

A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.

I remain "unfocused"!

Rudy

More about : canon nikon wait

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:27:11 PM

"Rudy--K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
>I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
>either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
>purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
>Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
>Also, the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but
>the 20D has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The
>Rebel XT is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
>heaviest. With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70
>rather than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
>Help me with deciding!
>
> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
> close, but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually
> pretty far away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
> hunting--so need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices'
> baseball, soccer, volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>
> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
> at about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
> although slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too
> (and much lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>
> For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
>
> The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
> awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
> months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
>
> A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
> the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
>
> I remain "unfocused"!
>
> Rudy

Rudy,

I have had my 20D for about a month now and all I can say is WOW. I'm not
biased toward either Nikon or Canon as I was in the same boat as yourself
and decided Canon for the glass and from reviews I had read. It's your
decision and I don't think you could go wrong with either brand, just wanted
you to know I picked the 20D and am very happy with my decision.

Tim in Phoenix
March 21, 2005 10:47:16 PM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:27:10 -0500, "Rudy--K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net>
wrote:

>I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
>either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand.

I'm very Nikon centric, but if you are not committed buy the model
that has the best viewfinder for you. If you are buying new lenses or
used late model stuff there is not reason to put any merit on what the
new body and support historically. Even if you are staying within a
favorite product line, when it comes to DSLR a serious system ends up
being a DSLR system within a system. The crop factor points you
towards new lenses to handle the WA needs (maybe not in your case if
most of your shooting is action at a distance) and the strobes need to
be the latest models to correctly interface with the new body. If you
stay with the motor-in-the-lens lenses the Nikon AFS and Canon USM
lenses will be nearly equal performers. I think the Nikon iTTL system
is very slick, but it doesn't sound like you are looking for multiple
flash system setups. The daylight fill flash and the 1/500 sec strobe
sync is a very good feature, but again that doesn't sound like it's in
your current photographic emphasis.

A fast, long lens is going to be tough to tote on a deer hunt, you may
want to give that some thought, especially if the brush and altitude
changes where you hunt is anything like the mountains of Idaho where I
used to tag along.

From how I read your requirements, I think you could pick the camera
that feels good to you, functions quickly for your sports
requirements, meets the buffer requirements for what you envision for
your multiple shooting and go from there. The rest of the stuff be
hanged. FWIW: When shooing kid's sports actions, especially those
where you can anticipate jumps, and action in a confined location I
found that I was able to cover what I wanted with three shot bursts.
And when I didn't have the benefit of a motorized camera I was very
happy with one well timed shot.

You are in a very good position to come in with a clean slate. Keep it
that way and forget the history of these systems. Get the one that
will take the pictures you want and stay "focused" on your kids
activities.

I think you've pretty well named your requirements and the answer is
already in your post. The canon system sounds to me like it will cover
your needs very well. If you are depending on a shutter speed to stop
action, don't be fooled by stabilized lens equivalent apertures. The
stabilization allows you to hold the camera steady for lower light
shots but at the expense of a slower shutter speed. That may not be
what you want for sports.

Regards,
Roger
March 21, 2005 11:04:35 PM

"Rudy--K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
>I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
>either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
>purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
>Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
>Also, the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but
>the 20D has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The
>Rebel XT is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
>heaviest. With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70
>rather than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
>Help me with deciding!
>
> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
> close, but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually
> pretty far away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
> hunting--so need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices'
> baseball, soccer, volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>
> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
> at about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
> although slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too
> (and much lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>
> For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
>
> The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
> awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
> months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
>
> A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
> the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
>
> I remain "unfocused"!
>
> Rudy
Can't go wrong with either one. Most go with whatever camera they already
have lenses for. For me that was the D70, as I already had a bunch of older
Nikon lenses that fit the camera, even though I can't use the camera's
metering system. I did get the "kit" lens with the camera, and figure that
will work for me 90 percent of the time.

If you are starting from scratch, go into any store and pick up both cameras
and take a few shots. One will probably feel better to you, and I doubt
you'd be able to tell the difference in image quality.

Think about it this way: Most people would be thrilled to be in a position
deciding between these two cameras. If you still can't decide, flip a coin.
;-) Either side wins.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:09:59 PM

In article <113u80m3bhtlibb@corp.supernews.com>, Rudy--K8SWD
<rudym@net-link.net> writes
>I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
>either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
>purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
>Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion. Also,
>the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
>has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel XT
>is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the heaviest.
>With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
>than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
>me with deciding!
>
>Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always close,
>but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually pretty far
>away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while hunting--so
>need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices' baseball, soccer,
>volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>
> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction) at
>about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS although
>slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too (and much
>lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>
>For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
>
>The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
>awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
>months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
>
>A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
>the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
>
>I remain "unfocused"!
>
>Rudy

You may well get a lot of partisan replies. I will try to resist
this....

The Nikon will work with most Nikon SLR lenses ever made. However, the
various permutations of what will meter and what won't, and other minor
details, can be bewildering.

Either Canon will work with every EF lens made, in exactly the same way,
but won't work at all with the pre-1986(ish) FD manual lens series.
(Actually, you can do macro work with an adapter, no infinity focus.) As
you are buying fresh, this should not be a big issue either way.

Traditionally, the Nikons have had better flash, the Canons have had
faster/better AF. This has become a little more blurred of late. The AF
speed is somewhat lens-dependent, but all the USM lenses are very fast.

If you intend to do serious macro work (i.e. using bellows) or
photomicrography (taking pictures through a microscope) then the 20D is
clearly superior, as it meters quite happily without a lens attached in
the normal way. The D70 requires various kludges to get it to work this
way, and friends who use it thus find it a nuisance.

In the end, it's down to two things: which body "feels" best in your
hand and has controls with which you feel comfortable; and which range
of lenses contains what you want. The Canons (I have a 10D, my daughter
a 300D) are perfectly simple to use. I am sure the D70 is also easy to
use. In both cases, it's really a matter of what you get used to; each
manufacturer has its own "house style" of doing things, and switching
between brands is a lot more traumatic than moving between different
bodies from the same maker. I'm sure any of the 3 bodies will give good
results if you learn to use it effectively.

For me I use Canon, simply because I started almost 30 years ago and
never had a reason to switch. I'm quite sure I would have been equally
happy with Nikon but for two things: I do quite a bit of
photomicrography (see 2 paras up); and I just love the Canon TS-E lenses
- I have 2 out of the 3. Nikon's offering in this area is a pale
imitation.

David
--
David Littlewood
Anonymous

Rudy--K8SWD wrote:
> I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
> either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
> purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
> Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion. Also,
> the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
> has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel XT
> is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the heaviest.
> With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
> than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
> me with deciding!

I'd say get the one with the better selection of lenses. I'm more than happy
with my Nikon D70, except a good zoom up to 200mm is going to cost me a bit more
than if I'd gone Canon. I don't regret the purchase though.

--
Ben
Anonymous

It sounds like you are mostly interested in sport so get a 20D. The 20D has
by far the quickest write time of the 3. There's nothing more annoying than
missing a shot because the camera buffer is full.

"Rudy--K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
>I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
>either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
>purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
>Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
>Also, the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but
>the 20D has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The
>Rebel XT is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
>heaviest. With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70
>rather than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
>Help me with deciding!
>
> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
> close, but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually
> pretty far away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
> hunting--so need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices'
> baseball, soccer, volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>
> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
> at about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
> although slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too
> (and much lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>
> For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
>
> The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
> awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
> months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
>
> A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
> the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
>
> I remain "unfocused"!
>
> Rudy

March 22, 2005 1:54:01 AM

You are talking about good candidates for IS lenses. Canon has more and
better IS lenses. Nikon can not catch up in this field because of the
antiquated mount.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Rudy--K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
> I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
> either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
> purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good
photos.
> Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
Also,
> the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
> has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel
XT
> is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
heaviest.
> With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
> than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
> me with deciding!
>
> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
close,
> but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually pretty far
> away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
hunting--so
> need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices' baseball,
soccer,
> volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>
> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
at
> about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
although
> slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too (and much
> lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>
> For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
>
> The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
> awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
> months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
>
> A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
> the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
>
> I remain "unfocused"!
>
> Rudy

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:55:01 AM

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D gI%d.30842$nZ.1627089@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> You are talking about good candidates for IS lenses. Canon has more and
> better IS lenses. Nikon can not catch up in this field because of the
> antiquated mount.

Tony, Tony, Tony.

Nikon bashing again.

You do know no one listens to you anymore, right?
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:46:41 AM

Rudy--K8SWD wrote:
> I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
> either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
> purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
> Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion. Also,
> the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
> has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel XT
> is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the heaviest.
> With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
> than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
> me with deciding!
>
> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always close,
> but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually pretty far
> away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while hunting--so
> need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices' baseball, soccer,
> volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>
> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction) at
> about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS although
> slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too (and much
> lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>
> For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
>
> The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
> awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
> months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
>
> A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
> the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
>
> I remain "unfocused"!
>
> Rudy

Hi,
Waiting is not an option.
You gotta plunge. We have D70 and Digital EOS. My two kids use them all
the time. Both have basic lens plus one telephoto(70-200). I am still
struggling with P&S(Canon G3 and Olympus C5060), hi.
Good luck,
Tony, VE6CGX
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:47:23 AM

"Rudy--K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
>I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
>either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
>purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
>Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
>Also, the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but
>the 20D has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The
>Rebel XT is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
>heaviest. With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70
>rather than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
>Help me with deciding!
>
> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
> close, but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually
> pretty far away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
> hunting--so need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices'
> baseball, soccer, volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>
> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
> at about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
> although slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too
> (and much lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>
> For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.

Canon will do 1/500 with external flash.

Also you can get a used professional 1D (fastest AF and FPS on the planet)
for just a few hundred more than a new 20D.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 3:43:10 AM

Rudy--K8SWD wrote:

> I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
> either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
> purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
> Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion. Also,
> the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
> has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel XT
> is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the heaviest.
> With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
> than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
> me with deciding!
>
> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always close,
> but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually pretty far
> away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while hunting--so
> need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices' baseball, soccer,
> volleyball and basketball--and you have it!

Your shooting requirements should lean you more towards the Canon - not
just for the variety of lenses available, but for their superior overall
AF (especially with the USM lenses), the range of faster lenses, and
their ever-growing line of IS-equipped (image stabilization) glass.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 10:12:36 AM

I am very happy with the D70. The 20D was not available when I got it --
Canon seems to be a little behind Nikon in introducing new cameras; whenever
Nikon brings out a new camera Canon brings one out about six months later
with a few more pixels at a somewhat higher price. This is what passes for
"innovation" at Canon...

Anyway, I would get whatever camera felt the best in my hand. When I got the
Nikon, it just felt right, whereas I found the Canons available at the time
to be somewhat awkward. However, I like the feel of the 20D.

The differences in photo quality between all the cameras are too small to be
of any practical benefit. Choose your camera on the basis of how it feels
and whether it has the features you would really use.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 10:15:34 AM

You will get those that love the 20-D/and the same from the D-70 users....I
have no problem..With the D-70....

--
_________________-
BOCH
"Rudy--K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
>I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
>either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
>purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
>Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
>Also, the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but
>the 20D has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The
>Rebel XT is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
>heaviest. With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70
>rather than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
>Help me with deciding!
>
> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
> close, but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually
> pretty far away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
> hunting--so need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices'
> baseball, soccer, volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>
> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
> at about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
> although slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too
> (and much lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>
> For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
>
> The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
> awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
> months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
>
> A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
> the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
>
> I remain "unfocused"!
>
> Rudy

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 10:20:04 AM

Ahh Tony, it would be a boring world if everyone...had the same
camera....You always miss the real issue...PEOPLE TAKE THE PICTURES!...Not
the damn camera....

--
_________________-
BOCH
"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D gI%d.30842$nZ.1627089@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> You are talking about good candidates for IS lenses. Canon has more and
> better IS lenses. Nikon can not catch up in this field because of the
> antiquated mount.
>
> --
> http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
> home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
> The Improved Links Pages are at
> A sample chapter from "Haight-Ashbury" is at
>
> "Rudy--K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
>> I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
>> either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
>> purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good
> photos.
>> Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
> Also,
>> the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the
>> 20D
>> has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel
> XT
>> is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
> heaviest.
>> With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
>> than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
>> Help
>> me with deciding!
>>
>> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
> close,
>> but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually pretty
>> far
>> away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
> hunting--so
>> need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices' baseball,
> soccer,
>> volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>>
>> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
> at
>> about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
> although
>> slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too (and
>> much
>> lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>>
>> For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
>>
>> The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
>> awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
>> months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and
>> 20D?
>>
>> A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
>> the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
>>
>> I remain "unfocused"!
>>
>> Rudy

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 10:21:52 AM

One thing that I don't think people talk often enough about is that after
you get your digital SLR, you get to have the time now to get used to it.
It is not like a point-and-shoot at all - I have a Canon digital SLR and it
took me quite a few months to realize that I between the camera and my PC, I
had the equivalent of a camera + darkroom at my disposal and that I should
treat it as such. When I realized that, and I developed my own simple
workflow with PaintShop, then then the quality and predictability of my
results from the digital SLR improved tremendously, and I've not been
disappointed.

"Rudy--K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
>I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
>either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
>purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
>Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
>Also, the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but
>the 20D has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The
>Rebel XT is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
>heaviest. With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70
>rather than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
>Help me with deciding!
>
> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
> close, but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually
> pretty far away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
> hunting--so need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices'
> baseball, soccer, volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>
> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
> at about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
> although slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too
> (and much lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>
> For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
>
> The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
> awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
> months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
>
> A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
> the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
>
> I remain "unfocused"!
>
> Rudy

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 11:24:06 AM

Well thank you all for taking the time to try to answer my posts. Yes--I am
leaning towards Canon. Perhaps I should simply by an XT now, put the extra
money I would have spent on the 20D towards nice glass such as the 70-200 IS
2f2.8L and see what replaces the 20D down the road. I could always sell the
XT or give it to my sister. The XT definately appeals to me as far as size
ans weight goes. One poster who said most action can be covered with a 3
shot burst with good planning sorta hit home with me. I can do that well at
the ski area with my C5050.

How can the flash sync on the 20D be bumped to 1/500? That would be the
ultimate (actually 1/1000 would be) for action shots where flash is allowed
or proper.

I don't hunt in the mountains (yet) and I drag deer with a tractor. The
last buck I killed was 150 yards from the house and the one before that was
even closer. Big lens not a problem--heck--I have been carrying a ham radio
station out to my ground blind no problem--what's another 5 lbs?

I guess I still have a few more days to decide on the D70 due to
rebates--but I am leaning Canon. I have been an FD Canon user with several
bodies and lenses for years--but like some said--it is clean slate time. I
also like the Olympus E-1 but I am not sold on 4/3 and there are so few
lenses to choose from. The splash proofness is sweet but easy to work
around while outside.

I guess it all boils down to what feels good, do I need 3fps or 5fps, flash
sync, and what is easiest to use (quickest to use and change).

I am somewhat dissapointed in what Nikon has to offer as far as lens--but
then Canon almost seems to have too many choices. OH well--more thinking I
guess!

Thanks all for wonderful insite and thought.
"Rudy--K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
>I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
>either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
>purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
>Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
>Also, the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but
>the 20D has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The
>Rebel XT is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
>heaviest. With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70
>rather than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
>Help me with deciding!
>
> Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
> close, but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually
> pretty far away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
> hunting--so need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices'
> baseball, soccer, volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
>
> Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
> at about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
> although slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too
> (and much lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
>
> For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
>
> The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
> awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
> months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
>
> A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
> the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
>
> I remain "unfocused"!
>
> Rudy

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:42:11 PM

Thanks CJ--that is sort of the way I have been leaning. I really like the C
glass, but N is good too.

I am not sure yet what I am going to do.

It would cost me about $1,200.00 more to go with the Canon 20D, 17-85 IS,
70-200 f2.8L IS, 580EX flash than it would to go with the Nikon D70, 18-70,
70-200 f2/8G VR zoom, and SB-600 flash. This takes into consideration
$350.00 in Nikon rebates too. What I see happening soon is Nikon coming out
with an answer to the 20D and XT Canons because it has been about 14 months
since the D70 came out (the reason for the rebate incentives).

I already have computers and digital darkroom.

Thanks all!

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p ZydnV_ly_d4qN3fRVn-oQ@wavecable.com...
>I am very happy with the D70. The 20D was not available when I got it --
> Canon seems to be a little behind Nikon in introducing new cameras;
> whenever
> Nikon brings out a new camera Canon brings one out about six months later
> with a few more pixels at a somewhat higher price. This is what passes for
> "innovation" at Canon...
>
> Anyway, I would get whatever camera felt the best in my hand. When I got
> the
> Nikon, it just felt right, whereas I found the Canons available at the
> time
> to be somewhat awkward. However, I like the feel of the 20D.
>
> The differences in photo quality between all the cameras are too small to
> be
> of any practical benefit. Choose your camera on the basis of how it feels
> and whether it has the features you would really use.

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 7:35:42 PM

I'd suggest the wait option simply because you listed it. If waiting is an
option, then that suggests you don't need a digital camera today. The
longer you wait, you'll be able to buy better digital cameras for cheaper.

If you need one now, you'd know it and waiting wouldn't be an option. :)

I prefer Canons. Sold my Nikon system a while ago and haven't looked back.
Ironically, the reason I bought into Nikon was because they hadn't changed
their mount while Canon was doing just that. The reason I jumped ship is
because Nikon hadn't changed their mount and Canon had. You can't go wrong
with either. In fact, I'll toss out another option. The Pentax *ist is
getting very favorable reviews. If you're not married to either Canon or
Nikon by your existing collection of lenses, the Pentax might be worth
checking out. The Olympus 4/3 systems aren't bad, either. If I recall
correctly, they have a pretty decent zoom out with a constant f/2 aperture.
That's very tempting, and I don't own any zooms anymore. :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

> Thanks CJ--that is sort of the way I have been leaning. I really like the
> glass, but N is good too.
>
> I am not sure yet what I am going to do.
>
> It would cost me about $1,200.00 more to go with the Canon 20D, 17-85 IS,
> 70-200 f2.8L IS, 580EX flash than it would to go with the Nikon D70,
18-70,
> 70-200 f2/8G VR zoom, and SB-600 flash. This takes into consideration
> $350.00 in Nikon rebates too. What I see happening soon is Nikon coming
out
> with an answer to the 20D and XT Canons because it has been about 14
months
> since the D70 came out (the reason for the rebate incentives).

I don't think the D70 is going to be replaced this year. Any 'answer' to the
20D would be a replacement for the D100. So you have to ask yourself, do you
want last year's technology in the 20D at a price $1200 more than a D70, or
do you want to wait for the D200? If it came to a choice between those two,
I would take the 20D. You can spend the rest of your life waiting for the
next greatest thing. But throw the D70 in the mix, I would take that. The
20D is beautiful, but it is not worth that much more money to me.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 5:30:50 PM

"How can the flash sync on the 20D be bumped to 1/500? That would be
the
ultimate (actually 1/1000 would be) for action shots where flash is
allowed
or proper."

20D flash sync is 1/250. The shutter is open for 1/250 of a second, but
the
duration of the flash illuminating the sceen is on the order of a few
microseconds.
So, in effect, the flash freezes the action not the shutter.

Instead of getting a 70-200 F/2.8 IS and a 17-85 you could get a 70-200
F/4 and
a 24-70 F/2.8 and have $500 left over. When this becomes $800 pick up a

10-22 and you have the FL range from 10mm to 200mm covered all with top
notch lenses.

Mitch
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:28:39 AM

You think to much...Just try them...Let the camera(No salesman) you will
know...

--
BOCH

!