Is it a problem if my mobo/psu 4 pin cpu cable touches cpu heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
see photo

unfortunately the 4pin cpu connector was not long enough to feed behind the mobo and as such is laid across the front of the mobo and the cpu heatsink, will this be a problem?

20111106151925.jpg

thanks
chaz

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

well yes, its my 1st system build and wanted to make sure the 4pin cpu cable laid across the side of the cpu cooler wouldnt have a adverse or even disastrous effect on the cpu cooling, forgive my noobishness ;-)

rolli59 being expert status here so I respected his answer and fired the beast up

I'll certainly look into an extension cable so I can route it behind the mobo in my HAF-X, I didnt even know there was such a thing - will the extension be OK with my CPU OC @ 4.4, the extension wont melt or something daft will it? (yes I know maybe im the daft one, just very cautious before I fry something)

extension cable like so?

atxp4extalarge.jpg

thanks again guys

There's a cutout on the pcb of every video card I've ever seen.
Close to the pci bracket, on what would be the motherboard side of the card when installed.
It's this slot that allows the cpu power cable to be run behind the card and next to the motherboard instead of over the heatsink and video card.

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

ok Ill have a look - it's an OCZ power supply with lovely braiding but its fairly chunky and I couldnt see any other shortcuts, my previous one ran to the top of the mobo and down the back of the mobo, i think my case made that run a few inches too much for this power supply's cpu cable, but will have a look and report back - thanks

chaz

edit: have had a look but not sure if this is it, see the photos - ived added arrows for the bit i think you're referring to:

gtx460cutout.jpg

and

d2xcutout.jpg

cheers again
chaz

Status
Not open for further replies.