Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Turbo Boost
Last response: in CPUs
November 6, 2011 1:53:44 PM

Hi guys i got my new cpu and mobo: MSI Z68A-GD65
Intel core i7 2600k

I was wondering if i should enable turbo boost or not? also my temps say 45 degrese celcius in bios but Core Temp is saying its 30 degrese celcius????
One more thing is that when i install turbo boost Monitor software my Core Temp gadget says im running at 0.2Ghz!! but the Turbo Boost software says
im running at 3.4 to 3.8 Ghz

Any replies will be greatley appriciated. :bounce: 

More about : 2600k questions

a c 900 à CPUs
November 6, 2011 2:05:47 PM

I think the BIOS would be correct! Core temp is not reading correctly!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2011 2:12:43 PM

If your not overclocking, leave turbo on... i assume you have stock intel cooler...
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2011 2:52:37 PM

no i dont i have the coolermaster v8!!! i have applied thermal paste correctley aswell?
some people say that in the bios its an average temperature not an actual temperature? what do you think.
m
l
November 6, 2011 2:53:12 PM

also core temp is saying its about 30 degrese celcius on idle?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2011 6:04:45 PM

a_tractor said:
no i dont i have the coolermaster v8!!! i have applied thermal paste correctley aswell?
some people say that in the bios its an average temperature not an actual temperature? what do you think.

It's the same temp as those Cores temp is and yes it's the average of those cores are getting... the 30*C? where ar eyou getting that? take a pic of that... Look at the cores instead of the "CPU TEMP" because it's something that is kinda retarded, focus on those cores and not the CPU temp... CPU Temp got nothing to do with Cores as Cores TEMP is more important...
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2011 6:32:09 PM

sound like the normal thing to me..... Although of what i know of, it might be dated as UEFI is becoming more of the standard for the 2nd gen core i's but if the cpu is acting the same way as the old bios, It might be:

1. cpu speedstep not active when your in UEFI/Bios (which would mean cpu is not running at slowest speed/lowest voltage)

2. the bios is reading a different temp sensor than the core(s) sensor. (there was in the past Cpu and core sensors if memory servers correct.)

3. your cpu may not be idling under bios. (which maybe the case)

You can find plenty of people asking the same thing about bios reading in the past about it being higher than what core temp (or what ever cpu temp program you use) will read.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304473-28-temp-bios
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263962-29-temp-higher...

I know when my Pentium 4 desktop was working, every time i checked bios, it would read 50-55c nearly instantly, but with a windows temp program, is would be easily reading 45c and im not the only one to of notice this. (P4 presscot on the 478 Socket, so no multi-cores or speedstep skew reading numbers)

m
l
November 6, 2011 6:36:42 PM

Try getting SpeedFan. It's pretty good for most mobos and chipsets.

SpeedFan
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:47:40 AM

How about Core temp showing 0.2Ghz??? I ONLY NOTICE THAT IT SAYS 0.2GHZ WHEN I INSTALL TURBO BOOST MONITOR SOFTWARE???? why?
m
l
!