Sign in with
Your question

4 gigs RAM worse system performance than 2 gigs RAM.

Last response: in Motherboards
August 6, 2012 2:27:24 AM

First, I wanna thank everyone who helped me with my computer problems. But that brings me to something else: 4GB of RAM makes my computer run terrible. But when I remove one of the 2GB RAM sticks then it runs fine. This is my computer :

Desktop Board : Intel DG965RY,
CPU or Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2.0 GHz,
Memory : 1x 2GB DDR2 RAM,
Graphics Card or GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 560 2GB GDDR5 Memory,
hard-drive: Seagate Barracuda w/ 2TB capacity and a 64MB cache 5900 RPM,
power supply : Dynex DX-520WPS,
CPU and Motherboard are 5+ yrs old, while everything else is not even 6 mos old.

When I purchased all the new components I included three new 2GB RAM sticks making the total memory 7 gigs. My old disk drive has Win XP 32-bit and with 7 gigs it ran with no problem. But with the new OS it ran horrible. Then I removed 3 gigs and installed drivers and updates for the motherboard and it improved the system a little. But still 10+ minute freezes sometimes 30 mins. So I removed another 2 gigs and it runs great, even better somewhat than my old XP.

I've switched the RAM sticks around but to no avail. I'm ruling out the modules unless I overlooked something. Has anyone experienced this before and is there a solution to this problem? I really want to run 8 gigs but 2gigs runs great. Is this 4GB RAM problem because of incompatabilities, the hardware, software, or the settings, or combination of any of these?
August 8, 2012 4:20:22 AM

C12Friedman said:
Don't know if you have this link but there is some good stuff there I think.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpbo...
followed a link to here (memory issues)
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS...
Hopefully, something there will help, Good luck.
Thank you. I went to the second site before installing the new RAM. But there is no problem with the hardware and my BIOS is up to date. I even installed the Intel chipset drivers for Windows 7. The problem isn't coming from the hardware; I tested and tested and everything works. I ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and the results were good no problems.
August 14, 2012 8:42:43 PM

OK I figured it out. I did a websearch and found an article that instructed me to boot into "safe mode" and run "msconfig" and check on the maxinum memory box and type "4096" in the MB box, then restart the computer.
Related resources
!