Sign in with
Your question

Cheap graphics card that can run fsx

Last response: in Components
November 6, 2011 2:37:33 PM

Hello,
Ive been playing fsx for about a month now and i want to get a new computer. The computer that i want is an iBUYPOWER Gamer Power WA590D3 Desktop PC. Alot of people said on the reviews it was great but needed a graphics card. What kind of graphics card will run fsx at around 30 fps with custom settings(no detailed water, no traffic, added scenery).
so what kind of graphics card can do that at around 50 dollars?
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 7:53:44 PM

You'll need to specify at what resolution you will be running at. A 5850 would probably do you well.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 8:10:39 PM

What are your current full system specs?(CPU,RAM,etc.)

It seems that FSX isn't that CPU demanding and more so GPU demanding.That makes a lot of sense because their's literally so much to process graphics wise in that game.Depending on your CPU you may just need a GPU upgrade(and a PSU to power it).

But if you were to buy that new PC and upgrade the GPU theirs no way you can get a GPU that will run that game for $50.
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 12:57:25 AM

popatim said:
You'll need to specify at what resolution you will be running at. A 5850 would probably do you well.

It's a 32 bit computer. I ran a test and it said that it is compatible with 64 bit. The normal screen resolution is 1280x900 when I play fax is 32x1280x720 last time I checked. And what is a 5850? Im guessing it is an ATI?
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:00:31 AM

popatim said:

I don't think an ATI radeon 5850 will even fit in my computer(it's not a tower one)
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:01:42 AM

purple stank said:

It seems that FSX isn't that CPU demanding and more so GPU demanding.That makes a lot of sense because their's literally so much to process graphics wise in that game.Depending on your CPU you may just need a GPU upgrade(and a PSU to power it).

But if you were to buy that new PC and upgrade the GPU theirs no way you can get a GPU that will run that game for $50.

Will the geforce 210 work?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 2:06:16 AM

I doubt it.Maybe on the lowest settings possible.

In my earlier post I asked if you could list everything you know about your computer.To do that just Right Click on My Computer and select Properties.In their you will find all the info we need.I think all you may need is a new PSU and GPU.FSX doesn't appear to be all that CPU demanding.
m
l
November 7, 2011 5:15:06 AM

Or just get FlightSim Pro. It has much better framerates and physics than the choppy MS Simulators. I found a review for it at this website before making my decision. Runs great on my 3 year old PC with a 4650 radeon. And all the add-ons are free! But I still can't wait to build a gaming rig for the new x-plane...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 5:46:27 AM

purple stank said:

It is actually very cpu demanding and moderately gpu demanding.

It is doing a lot of calculation on the back ground you don't see.

Air traffic, aircraft body stress, thermocline, gyroshift, lift, drag, etc...

@Creative_name

GF210 won't do the job.

If you have concern about fitting the card in the case, we need to know how big the case is.

But if the case is tiny, I think you can still put a 6770 in there and still make it playable.
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:14:14 AM

The best thing about FSX is that because its a flight sim, it doesn't need to be running at 30+fps all the time (because split second timing isn't really needed).

Hell I can run it on the settings the OP is asking for on my current build, with a Core 2 Duo E7500 and a crappy 9400GT (albiet at around 20 fps, but because the fps in flight sims doesn't matter nearly as much as in a 1st Person Shooter, its playable).

m
l
November 7, 2011 9:43:25 AM

Pyree said:
It is actually very cpu demanding and moderately gpu demanding.

It is doing a lot of calculation on the back ground you don't see.

Air traffic, aircraft body stress, thermocline, gyroshift, lift, drag, etc...

@Creative_name

GF210 won't do the job.

If you have concern about fitting the card in the case, we need to know how big the case is.

But if the case is tiny, I think you can still put a 6770 in there and still make it playable.

My case is is not like a normal tower desktop. It's one of those where you place it on a table and put the monitor over it. It's only 3 1/2 inches tall
m
l
November 7, 2011 9:50:24 AM

Is there any graphics card that runs at 280 watts
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 9:52:05 AM

Yes, but I don't think they will go well with FSX. Most of them are only meant to be for HTPC and will under perform on FSX.

May be a low profile passive cooling 6570.

Check how much power on your 12v rail.

Edit: passive cool is a bad idea. I forgot you don't have much space.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 10:13:11 AM

Its bad though. Your case were very small, only low profile graphic cards can be put in it. And its not iBuyPower PC..
m
l
November 8, 2011 8:42:14 PM

Pyree said:
Yes, but I don't think they will go well with FSX. Most of them are only meant to be for HTPC and will under perform on FSX.

May be a low profile passive cooling 6570.

Check how much power on your 12v rail.

Edit: passive cool is a bad idea. I forgot you don't have much space.

how do i check the power. all i know is that my psu is 280 watt. will an external power supply work?

I could get a new case and put everything in there. but that cant happen until we get another computer(mac)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 10:49:40 PM

"when we get another computer (mac)"

What does that mean, are you going to build a mackintosh?

Yeah, you can get a normal PSU and then instead of mounting it, just leave it outside the case (if cable length is long enough). But that is really only temp solution before you get a new build. Also, you have to be careful.

As for checking the 12v rail power, open the case (you have already right?) and look for it on the PSU.
m
l
November 9, 2011 12:58:08 AM

Pyree said:
"when we get another computer (mac)"

What does that mean, are you going to build a mackintosh?

Yeah, you can get a normal PSU and then instead of mounting it, just leave it outside the case (if cable length is long enough). But that is really only temp solution before you get a new build. Also, you have to be careful.

As for checking the 12v rail power, open the case (you have already right?) and look for it on the PSU.

So i can just get a power supply thats like 400 watts and just leave it outside? that is pretty easy. and if i get like a 400 watt power supply, will everything in my computer be compatible with it? and will that broaden my choices of graphics cards?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 1:10:16 AM

If your computer is not using some proprietary connection, then there should be no problem.

You will be able to safely run a 6770 on 400w. But a new 400w PSU and a 6770 is out of your $50 budget by a lot, so why not just to a complete case + PSU (something around a 650w) + GPU.

Also, you are going to get a new build right (what think you said on your post before the last). It will be much easier and wiser to make a gaming build out of that one and just leave your current computer that is underpower as a HTPC.

Leaving the PSU outside is not a good permanent solution.
m
l
November 9, 2011 6:05:10 PM

Pyree said:
If your computer is not using some proprietary connection, then there should be no problem.

You will be able to safely run a 6770 on 400w. But a new 400w PSU and a 6770 is out of your $50 budget by a lot, so why not just to a complete case + PSU (something around a 650w) + GPU.

Also, you are going to get a new build right (what think you said on your post before the last). It will be much easier and wiser to make a gaming build out of that one and just leave your current computer that is underpower as a HTPC.

Leaving the PSU outside is not a good permanent solution.

im not getting a new build. i was just thinking of getting a new case so i can put a graphics card and psu.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 2:46:44 AM

Ok. The case is reusable so you are wasting anything. Also get something around 550-650w since they don't cost a lot more than 400w and it gives you more juice to upgrade.

What I am afraid is whether the mobo in your current case is of any standard size.
m
l
November 10, 2011 9:35:20 AM

Pyree said:
Ok. The case is reusable so you are wasting anything. Also get something around 550-650w since they don't cost a lot more than 400w and it gives you more juice to upgrade.

What I am afraid is whether the mobo in your current case is of any standard size.

The link which goes to a picture of my pc. If you look at the top right of the picturenyou can see more of them. One of them shows what's inside.
But I'm pretty sure mine is a mini one.
What is the measurements for a normal motherboard?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 9:59:54 AM

Wiki atx and you will get mobo size.
m
l
November 10, 2011 12:57:58 PM

Hey, if you want i have a 4850 graphics card ill sell you for that amount you want to spend, it hardly even takes any power to run (400w will run it) Let me know if your interested! Asaggynoodle@hotmail.com
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 12:59:13 PM

The OP's PSU is a 280 watt but it's probably only capable of 180watts on the +12/v rail.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 7:51:46 PM

That's why a case and PSU upgrade is necessary for a more powerful gpu.

But then the PO must find out if the mobo of the current machine is of a standard size and standard mounting.

May be sharp hi-res photo is a good idea.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 8:01:04 PM

I believe it's a micro-atx.Which means all tower case's will fit it.
m
l
November 10, 2011 8:33:12 PM

It's a micro atx and the motherboard and the thing where the graphics card is inserted(not the slot but where you screw it on). Ill see if I can get a case. But the chances are low.

(my parents might say no)
m
l
November 10, 2011 8:40:48 PM

A case that will fit a three something watt psu and gpu. Anything that DOES NOT look like a gaming case but more of standard small one.
m
l
November 19, 2011 2:42:25 AM

I OPENED THE COMPUTER UP.
I bought an extra 2 GB RAM.
I realized that I had a wireless thing installed in a PCI slot which then I realized that if I take it off I CAN PUT A GRAPHICS CARD.
I did take pictures but i would have to upload 750 pics if i wanted to do so. I will get one in soon
m
l
November 19, 2011 2:52:27 AM

is there a power supply that is just meant to go on the outside and not the inside. because im pretty sure no one can find a power supply for my computer
m
l
November 19, 2011 3:22:39 AM

if you want a tiny graphic card just try Palit GTX 460..
m
l
November 19, 2011 3:56:36 AM

Pyree said:

But then the PO must find out if the mobo of the current machine is of a standard size and standard mounting.

Well right now i figured out everything and all i need is a graphics card that will take up like 40-50 watts. since the bracket isnt very big, the most out slots i can have is at the most 2(like 1 VGA and 1 Hdmi) something that doesnt go over 3 1/2 inches.
As for the RAM i will upgrade it to 4 gig.

So just a small graphics card will do.
And im pretty sure those graphics cards will run better than my integrated one.
m
l
November 19, 2011 4:38:03 AM

Pyree said:

I took pics but i cant put them on this website.
so i will give you a detailed description.
My computer does not consume so much power even when running fsx. So i need a small graphics card that will only take up like 40-50 watts.

I have PCI slots.
-I can only fit a thin graphics card. Most gpus ive seen have 3 slots(vga hdmi etc) all i can fit on the bracket is 2.
-the bracket is only like 3 inches long.
-The bracket has a normal distnce from the PCI slot.
-so basiclly i just need a graphics card that is shaped like ___________________lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllll______
_|
|
|_
_ |
|
|
|_
|_____________________________________________________that
m
l
!