no more patience with games rant....

Last response: in Video Games
December 26, 2004 3:27:39 PM

I don't know about you guys but I'm finding it harder and harder to play
a game for a long period of time. I could remember playing Ocarina of
Time or SM64 for 3-4 hours straight and still felt like wanting more.
Those days seem long gone now.

These days though, I can't seem to go on for more than an hour before I
get bored and want to turn it off. I guess it depends on the type of
game because with Fire Emblem (GBA) I can go one for 2 hours, only the
eye strain making me stop. Take San Andreas for instance, although I
recall playing both GTA3 and Vice City for hours on end (and that was
just a few years ago), I can't seem to play San Andreas for longer than
an hour before shutting it off. And it's not that I don't like the game.
I love it... I just get tired of it after a short while and must do
something else. I can name a few other games with which the same thing
happens. In fact, I can't think of any console game that I can totally
dedicate to playing for hours at a time. Even if I had the time, my mind
would just get turned off after a while and I can't go one.

I remember playing Metroid Prime for several hours. I even skipped work
the first day I got it. I don't think I can do the same on a second play
through or with the sequel.

Same goes for platformers. After just playing 3 levels of Sly Cooper
(the first one), I just got so bored that I couldn't go on. I never
touched it again since.

I don't seem to have that problem with my GBA though. I play it more
than ever since I can take it with me wherever I go. Same goes for
books, I can read for hours without tiring. However if it simply a
question of time and location, the few times I do have available and
when I am at home would be spent playing console games right? No. Even
when I have the time, my console is either never turned on or turned off
after only a short spurt of gaming.

I guess I'm just getting older and busier... I wonder how I'll be by the
time the next Mario or Zelda installment arrives. I do want to play them
(especially Zelda) but I wonder if I actually will... Sigh. You know, I
read about 30-40 yr old gamers (or older) and I wonder how they do it.

I wonder if anyone else on this group is going through the same thing.

More about : patience games rant

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 6:25:17 PM

> I don't know about you guys but I'm finding it harder and harder to
play
> a game for a long period of time. I could remember playing Ocarina of
> Time or SM64 for 3-4 hours straight and still felt like wanting more.
> Those days seem long gone now.
>
> These days though, I can't seem to go on for more than an hour before
> get bored and want to turn it off. I guess it depends on the type of
> game because with Fire Emblem (GBA) I can go one for 2 hours, only the
> eye strain making me stop. Take San Andreas for instance, although I
> recall playing both GTA3 and Vice City for hours on end (and that was
> just a few years ago), I can't seem to play San Andreas for longer
than
> an hour before shutting it off. And it's not that I don't like the
game.
> I love it... I just get tired of it after a short while and must do
> something else. I can name a few other games with which the same thing
> happens. In fact, I can't think of any console game that I can totally
> dedicate to playing for hours at a time. Even if I had the time, my
mind
> would just get turned off after a while and I can't go one.
>
> I remember playing Metroid Prime for several hours. I even skipped
work
> the first day I got it. I don't think I can do the same on a second
play
> through or with the sequel.
>
> Same goes for platformers. After just playing 3 levels of Sly Cooper
> (the first one), I just got so bored that I couldn't go on. I never
> touched it again since.
>
> I don't seem to have that problem with my GBA though. I play it more
> than ever since I can take it with me wherever I go. Same goes for
> books, I can read for hours without tiring. However if it simply a
> question of time and location, the few times I do have available and
> when I am at home would be spent playing console games right? No. Even
> when I have the time, my console is either never turned on or turned
off
> after only a short spurt of gaming.
>
> I guess I'm just getting older and busier... I wonder how I'll be by
the
> time the next Mario or Zelda installment arrives. I do want to play
them
> (especially Zelda) but I wonder if I actually will... Sigh. You know,
> read about 30-40 yr old gamers (or older) and I wonder how they do it.
>
> I wonder if anyone else on this group is going through the same thing.

Depends on the game. I spent three hours on a ninth go through of Mario
Sunshine just the other day (first play of the Japenese version). I did
two hours of P.N.03, took an three hour break to spend Christmas Eve
with family, then played for another three hours to beat it. But this
morning, I could only play Galleon on the XBOX for twenty minutes before
stopping.

Besides, so what if you only play for an hour at a time. Play as long as
it is fun. That is the best way to tell if you like a game ot not. There
was that thread here a while ago asking people what there longest
marathon session was. If a game can keep you going for 12 hours at a
time, the makers did something right. If you can only go for twenty
minutes, something is not right.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 11:20:19 PM

"Adnan" <bekat@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I don't know about you guys but I'm finding it harder and harder to play
> a game for a long period of time. I could remember playing Ocarina of
> Time or SM64 for 3-4 hours straight and still felt like wanting more.
> Those days seem long gone now.
>
> These days though, I can't seem to go on for more than an hour before I
> get bored and want to turn it off. I guess it depends on the type of
> game because with Fire Emblem (GBA) I can go one for 2 hours, only the
> eye strain making me stop. Take San Andreas for instance, although I
> recall playing both GTA3 and Vice City for hours on end (and that was
> just a few years ago), I can't seem to play San Andreas for longer than
> an hour before shutting it off. And it's not that I don't like the game.
> I love it... I just get tired of it after a short while and must do
> something else. I can name a few other games with which the same thing
> happens. In fact, I can't think of any console game that I can totally
> dedicate to playing for hours at a time. Even if I had the time, my mind
> would just get turned off after a while and I can't go one.
>
> I remember playing Metroid Prime for several hours. I even skipped work
> the first day I got it. I don't think I can do the same on a second play
> through or with the sequel.
>
> Same goes for platformers. After just playing 3 levels of Sly Cooper
> (the first one), I just got so bored that I couldn't go on. I never
> touched it again since.
>
> I don't seem to have that problem with my GBA though. I play it more
> than ever since I can take it with me wherever I go. Same goes for
> books, I can read for hours without tiring. However if it simply a
> question of time and location, the few times I do have available and
> when I am at home would be spent playing console games right? No. Even
> when I have the time, my console is either never turned on or turned off
> after only a short spurt of gaming.
>
> I guess I'm just getting older and busier... I wonder how I'll be by the
> time the next Mario or Zelda installment arrives. I do want to play them
> (especially Zelda) but I wonder if I actually will... Sigh. You know, I
> read about 30-40 yr old gamers (or older) and I wonder how they do it.
>
> I wonder if anyone else on this group is going through the same thing.

Yeah, It started happening to me a few years ago. Maybe I'm just burned out
on games or just feel overwhelmed by other things I *should* be doing, even
at times when there isn't much else to do. It could be that I'm losing my
sense of imagination as I get older. When I play a game now I subconsiously
see it as pixels and polygons, whereas years ago I felt like I was a part of
the story. The same goes for movies though. I often spend more time
looking for mistakes, or thinking about how the actors and directors pulled
off certain scenes, rather than following the plot. ::sigh::
December 27, 2004 1:34:47 AM

Adnan <bekat@sympatico.ca> writes:
> I remember playing Metroid Prime for several hours. I even skipped work
> the first day I got it. I don't think I can do the same on a second play
> through or with the sequel.

Ah. You can. Really. This series just has that special something.

--
Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
The Rhythm has control.

"Adnan" <bekat@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I don't know about you guys but I'm finding it harder and harder to play
> a game for a long period of time. I could remember playing Ocarina of
> Time or SM64 for 3-4 hours straight and still felt like wanting more.
> Those days seem long gone now.
>
> I guess I'm just getting older and busier... I wonder how I'll be by the
> time the next Mario or Zelda installment arrives. I do want to play them
> (especially Zelda) but I wonder if I actually will... Sigh. You know, I
> read about 30-40 yr old gamers (or older) and I wonder how they do it.

All depends on the game... I go through phases where I can play 6 or 8 hours
straight and then days or weeks where I rarely play. The most recent games
to grab my full attention were Fable, Urbz DS and Kingdom Hearts Chain of
Memories...Tales of Symphonia and Paper Mario, though both good games have
not done the same. Right now with the end of football season coming and my
team still fighting to get into the playoffs - much of my normal gaming time
is lost to watching football...but I will soon be looking for another game
that can keep my attention.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 12:56:07 PM

I am definitely with you on this. Some times I feel I'd rather read than
play video games, and reading, movies, Tivo, and games are all competing for
free time so I now play games less per sitting, per day, and less games
overall naturally. I ended up selling Halo 2 because after the first week
where I played it a lot, I just wasn't playing it, even though I liked it. I
figure I can always buy it used for cheaper if I want to play it a lot more
online.

And some of it is just physical wear and tear rather than just time issues.
I don't know about anyone else, but between computer and video game use I've
got a nice case of Carpal Tunnel coming on and certainly the eye strain is a
factor too.

Too bad I run into the problem of wanting to play more games but neither
having the time nor money for more so I have to miss out on a lot that I
wouldn't in the past.
!