no more patience with games rant....

I don't know about you guys but I'm finding it harder and harder to play
a game for a long period of time. I could remember playing Ocarina of
Time or SM64 for 3-4 hours straight and still felt like wanting more.
Those days seem long gone now.

These days though, I can't seem to go on for more than an hour before I
get bored and want to turn it off. I guess it depends on the type of
game because with Fire Emblem (GBA) I can go one for 2 hours, only the
eye strain making me stop. Take San Andreas for instance, although I
recall playing both GTA3 and Vice City for hours on end (and that was
just a few years ago), I can't seem to play San Andreas for longer than
an hour before shutting it off. And it's not that I don't like the game.
I love it... I just get tired of it after a short while and must do
something else. I can name a few other games with which the same thing
happens. In fact, I can't think of any console game that I can totally
dedicate to playing for hours at a time. Even if I had the time, my mind
would just get turned off after a while and I can't go one.

I remember playing Metroid Prime for several hours. I even skipped work
the first day I got it. I don't think I can do the same on a second play
through or with the sequel.

Same goes for platformers. After just playing 3 levels of Sly Cooper
(the first one), I just got so bored that I couldn't go on. I never
touched it again since.

I don't seem to have that problem with my GBA though. I play it more
than ever since I can take it with me wherever I go. Same goes for
books, I can read for hours without tiring. However if it simply a
question of time and location, the few times I do have available and
when I am at home would be spent playing console games right? No. Even
when I have the time, my console is either never turned on or turned off
after only a short spurt of gaming.

I guess I'm just getting older and busier... I wonder how I'll be by the
time the next Mario or Zelda installment arrives. I do want to play them
(especially Zelda) but I wonder if I actually will... Sigh. You know, I
read about 30-40 yr old gamers (or older) and I wonder how they do it.

I wonder if anyone else on this group is going through the same thing.
5 answers Last reply
More about patience games rant
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    > I don't know about you guys but I'm finding it harder and harder to
    play
    > a game for a long period of time. I could remember playing Ocarina of
    > Time or SM64 for 3-4 hours straight and still felt like wanting more.
    > Those days seem long gone now.
    >
    > These days though, I can't seem to go on for more than an hour before
    > get bored and want to turn it off. I guess it depends on the type of
    > game because with Fire Emblem (GBA) I can go one for 2 hours, only the
    > eye strain making me stop. Take San Andreas for instance, although I
    > recall playing both GTA3 and Vice City for hours on end (and that was
    > just a few years ago), I can't seem to play San Andreas for longer
    than
    > an hour before shutting it off. And it's not that I don't like the
    game.
    > I love it... I just get tired of it after a short while and must do
    > something else. I can name a few other games with which the same thing
    > happens. In fact, I can't think of any console game that I can totally
    > dedicate to playing for hours at a time. Even if I had the time, my
    mind
    > would just get turned off after a while and I can't go one.
    >
    > I remember playing Metroid Prime for several hours. I even skipped
    work
    > the first day I got it. I don't think I can do the same on a second
    play
    > through or with the sequel.
    >
    > Same goes for platformers. After just playing 3 levels of Sly Cooper
    > (the first one), I just got so bored that I couldn't go on. I never
    > touched it again since.
    >
    > I don't seem to have that problem with my GBA though. I play it more
    > than ever since I can take it with me wherever I go. Same goes for
    > books, I can read for hours without tiring. However if it simply a
    > question of time and location, the few times I do have available and
    > when I am at home would be spent playing console games right? No. Even
    > when I have the time, my console is either never turned on or turned
    off
    > after only a short spurt of gaming.
    >
    > I guess I'm just getting older and busier... I wonder how I'll be by
    the
    > time the next Mario or Zelda installment arrives. I do want to play
    them
    > (especially Zelda) but I wonder if I actually will... Sigh. You know,
    > read about 30-40 yr old gamers (or older) and I wonder how they do it.
    >
    > I wonder if anyone else on this group is going through the same thing.

    Depends on the game. I spent three hours on a ninth go through of Mario
    Sunshine just the other day (first play of the Japenese version). I did
    two hours of P.N.03, took an three hour break to spend Christmas Eve
    with family, then played for another three hours to beat it. But this
    morning, I could only play Galleon on the XBOX for twenty minutes before
    stopping.

    Besides, so what if you only play for an hour at a time. Play as long as
    it is fun. That is the best way to tell if you like a game ot not. There
    was that thread here a while ago asking people what there longest
    marathon session was. If a game can keep you going for 12 hours at a
    time, the makers did something right. If you can only go for twenty
    minutes, something is not right.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    "Adnan" <bekat@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > I don't know about you guys but I'm finding it harder and harder to play
    > a game for a long period of time. I could remember playing Ocarina of
    > Time or SM64 for 3-4 hours straight and still felt like wanting more.
    > Those days seem long gone now.
    >
    > These days though, I can't seem to go on for more than an hour before I
    > get bored and want to turn it off. I guess it depends on the type of
    > game because with Fire Emblem (GBA) I can go one for 2 hours, only the
    > eye strain making me stop. Take San Andreas for instance, although I
    > recall playing both GTA3 and Vice City for hours on end (and that was
    > just a few years ago), I can't seem to play San Andreas for longer than
    > an hour before shutting it off. And it's not that I don't like the game.
    > I love it... I just get tired of it after a short while and must do
    > something else. I can name a few other games with which the same thing
    > happens. In fact, I can't think of any console game that I can totally
    > dedicate to playing for hours at a time. Even if I had the time, my mind
    > would just get turned off after a while and I can't go one.
    >
    > I remember playing Metroid Prime for several hours. I even skipped work
    > the first day I got it. I don't think I can do the same on a second play
    > through or with the sequel.
    >
    > Same goes for platformers. After just playing 3 levels of Sly Cooper
    > (the first one), I just got so bored that I couldn't go on. I never
    > touched it again since.
    >
    > I don't seem to have that problem with my GBA though. I play it more
    > than ever since I can take it with me wherever I go. Same goes for
    > books, I can read for hours without tiring. However if it simply a
    > question of time and location, the few times I do have available and
    > when I am at home would be spent playing console games right? No. Even
    > when I have the time, my console is either never turned on or turned off
    > after only a short spurt of gaming.
    >
    > I guess I'm just getting older and busier... I wonder how I'll be by the
    > time the next Mario or Zelda installment arrives. I do want to play them
    > (especially Zelda) but I wonder if I actually will... Sigh. You know, I
    > read about 30-40 yr old gamers (or older) and I wonder how they do it.
    >
    > I wonder if anyone else on this group is going through the same thing.

    Yeah, It started happening to me a few years ago. Maybe I'm just burned out
    on games or just feel overwhelmed by other things I *should* be doing, even
    at times when there isn't much else to do. It could be that I'm losing my
    sense of imagination as I get older. When I play a game now I subconsiously
    see it as pixels and polygons, whereas years ago I felt like I was a part of
    the story. The same goes for movies though. I often spend more time
    looking for mistakes, or thinking about how the actors and directors pulled
    off certain scenes, rather than following the plot. ::sigh::
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Adnan <bekat@sympatico.ca> writes:
    > I remember playing Metroid Prime for several hours. I even skipped work
    > the first day I got it. I don't think I can do the same on a second play
    > through or with the sequel.

    Ah. You can. Really. This series just has that special something.

    --
    Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
    The Rhythm has control.

    "Adnan" <bekat@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >I don't know about you guys but I'm finding it harder and harder to play
    > a game for a long period of time. I could remember playing Ocarina of
    > Time or SM64 for 3-4 hours straight and still felt like wanting more.
    > Those days seem long gone now.
    >
    > I guess I'm just getting older and busier... I wonder how I'll be by the
    > time the next Mario or Zelda installment arrives. I do want to play them
    > (especially Zelda) but I wonder if I actually will... Sigh. You know, I
    > read about 30-40 yr old gamers (or older) and I wonder how they do it.

    All depends on the game... I go through phases where I can play 6 or 8 hours
    straight and then days or weeks where I rarely play. The most recent games
    to grab my full attention were Fable, Urbz DS and Kingdom Hearts Chain of
    Memories...Tales of Symphonia and Paper Mario, though both good games have
    not done the same. Right now with the end of football season coming and my
    team still fighting to get into the playoffs - much of my normal gaming time
    is lost to watching football...but I will soon be looking for another game
    that can keep my attention.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    I am definitely with you on this. Some times I feel I'd rather read than
    play video games, and reading, movies, Tivo, and games are all competing for
    free time so I now play games less per sitting, per day, and less games
    overall naturally. I ended up selling Halo 2 because after the first week
    where I played it a lot, I just wasn't playing it, even though I liked it. I
    figure I can always buy it used for cheaper if I want to play it a lot more
    online.

    And some of it is just physical wear and tear rather than just time issues.
    I don't know about anyone else, but between computer and video game use I've
    got a nice case of Carpal Tunnel coming on and certainly the eye strain is a
    factor too.

    Too bad I run into the problem of wanting to play more games but neither
    having the time nor money for more so I have to miss out on a lot that I
    wouldn't in the past.

Console Gaming Games Gamecube Nintendo Video Games