Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Desktop computer the size of laptop

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 6, 2011 5:09:55 PM

Hello,
I have a 17" Dell Flat screen (Mornitor), a Dell enhanced keyboard and I want to know if there is a central processing unit (Desktop) about the size of a laptop. Desktop CPUs are too bulky and I wonder why manufacturers don't make one the size of a laptop without keypad and screen.
a c 105 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 6, 2011 7:01:09 PM

The reason is COST!

You can connect the monitor as well as the keyboard to a laptop and still meet your requirements.
m
0
l
a c 149 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 6, 2011 7:26:36 PM

One of my customers uses these mini pc's though I'm sure you could build one yourself too.
Click the links for the specialty form factors on the lower left side of the screen.
http://www.nexlink.com/desktops/desktop_specialty.aspx

edit - they even mount them on the back of the monitor since these pc's run 24/7.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2011 8:59:33 PM

There are lots of these small form factor PC's on newegg. If you search for "barebones" you will find a lot of them.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2011 9:10:07 PM

archelors said:
Hello,
I have a 17" Dell Flat screen (Mornitor), a Dell enhanced keyboard and I want to know if there is a central processing unit (Desktop) about the size of a laptop. Desktop CPUs are too bulky and I wonder why manufacturers don't make one the size of a laptop without keypad and screen.


Ummm....because it costs a lot more to use tiny laptop parts than full size desktop parts......and also cooling is an issue in a tiny case.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2011 2:04:00 AM

Commodore just recently came out with a computer that is actually inside the keyboard.

Get one of those, then you don't have to have any space for the computer.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 7, 2011 2:54:20 AM

http://tinyurl.com/7yu2ogg

They do make desktops that have small footprints. I mean, the systems in the link are about the size of a shoe box. Then again, almost everyone on this forum rather have a desktop that is about the size of a 5 gallon paint bucket roughly.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2011 2:57:41 AM

Computers are made for her pleasure. The bigger the better.

m
0
l
November 7, 2011 5:32:38 AM

geekapproved said:
Ummm....because it costs a lot more to use tiny laptop parts than full size desktop parts......and also cooling is an issue in a tiny case.


Thanks for your response. I know about the cooling aspect but one would like to believe that since most of the time desktops are used in airconditioned environment, that shouldn't be a problem. A desktop the size of a DVD player should be ok.
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 5:38:10 AM

runswindows95 said:
http://tinyurl.com/7yu2ogg

They do make desktops that have small footprints. I mean, the systems in the link are about the size of a shoe box. Then again, almost everyone on this forum rather have a desktop that is about the size of a 5 gallon paint bucket roughly.


I am laughing out aloud. You know the 5 gallon thing is what puts me off. I have portable DVD player, portabe minidisc player, portable tuner, portable amplifyer, so why should my desktop be as huge as a whole desk? It doesn't make sense to me and moreover I don't have space.
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 5:40:52 AM

Raiddinn said:
Computers are made for her pleasure. The bigger the better.


Yeh the bigger the better indeed, I am sure you are still using the very first mobile phone manufactured. As for me the smaler the better. This is the nanao age. wake up.
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 5:50:36 AM

Buy an all in one from Dell, HP, or Apple. Problem solved. Nothing external besides your mouse and keyboard.
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 6:10:26 AM

Get a laptop.
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 7, 2011 11:59:01 AM

runswindows95 said:
http://tinyurl.com/7yu2ogg

They do make desktops that have small footprints. I mean, the systems in the link are about the size of a shoe box. Then again, almost everyone on this forum rather have a desktop that is about the size of a 5 gallon paint bucket roughly.

Agree! I have a Cooler master HAF 932! Wish it were a little bigger, then I could use it as a storage closet also!
m
0
l
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 462 D Laptop
November 7, 2011 1:04:33 PM

Your best bet is the Apple Mac Mini.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

There is no comparable PC computer equivalent. The closest would be a "Nettop" which uses an Intel Atom CPU. An example would be the ASUS Eee Box EB1501P-B016E. Note that not all Nettops will have an optical drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Of the two, I would probably go with the Mac Mini and then install Bootcamp so that I can install Windows 7. The Mac Mini has better specs than a Nettop and the starting price is not excessively more than a "higher end" Nettop.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 7, 2011 2:04:01 PM

archelors said:
Yeh the bigger the better indeed, I am sure you are still using the very first mobile phone manufactured. As for me the smaler the better. This is the nanao age. wake up.



Woah there, hold just a minute. Just because you like using underpowered hardware on tiny screens doesn't mean everyone else does. Useless tiny pieces of crap with tiny little keys and tiny little screens, not everyone enjoys using small hardware. Maybe you are only like 5' tall and 80 pounds or something. Try using a smartphone if you are 6' 3" and weigh 265 pounds. My finger covers about 5 buttons at once on most of them. Really annoying to try and use for sure.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2011 2:15:13 PM

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/slimpro.asp
If you want to be RAM limited and and stuck with an onboard or onchip graphics
Probably pretty pricey as well.
There are millions of shoe box or less sized computers in police cars, industrial, etc.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2011 2:22:25 PM

archelors said:
Yeh the bigger the better indeed, I am sure you are still using the very first mobile phone manufactured. As for me the smaler the better. This is the nanao age. wake up.


I did say computers and not mobile phones, btw.

In any event, I must really be behind the times because I still use initial caps, punctuation, and I have no idea what nanao is.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2011 2:53:06 PM

archelors said:
I am laughing out aloud. You know the 5 gallon thing is what puts me off. I have portable DVD player, portabe minidisc player, portable tuner, portable amplifyer, so why should my desktop be as huge as a whole desk? It doesn't make sense to me and moreover I don't have space.


Heh, well my desktop IS my desk :D ..
m
0
l
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 462 D Laptop
November 7, 2011 8:01:24 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
http://www.cappuccinopc.com/slimpro.asp
If you want to be RAM limited and and stuck with an onboard or onchip graphics
Probably pretty pricey as well.
There are millions of shoe box or less sized computers in police cars, industrial, etc.


I would say the Mac Mini is a better option since it has a more recent Sandy Bridge Core i5 CPU and the integrated Intel HD 3000. At best those SlimPros have a Core 2 Duo and integrated GMA 900 graphics core I beleive; probably 1/3 the speed of the Intel HD 3000. Definitely not good enough to play Blu-Ray or HD video. The higher end model ($800) comes with a Radeon HD 6630 video card. Those SlimPros don't even have an optical drive.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 12:03:26 AM

jaguarskx said:
I would say the Mac Mini is a better option since it has a more recent Sandy Bridge Core i5 CPU


There are good points and bad points to the Mac Mini. It might be the smallest machine with that much power, but if you can go a bit larger you can build your own machine with mini-ITX motherboard and use a SB processor plus the other parts of your choice.
m
0
l
a c 149 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 8, 2011 12:19:55 AM

jaguarskx said:
I would say the Mac Mini is a better option since it has a more recent Sandy Bridge Core i5 CPU and the integrated Intel HD 3000. At best those SlimPros have a Core 2 Duo and integrated GMA 900 graphics core I beleive; probably 1/3 the speed of the Intel HD 3000. Definitely not good enough to play Blu-Ray or HD video. The higher end model ($800) comes with a Radeon HD 6630 video card. Those SlimPros don't even have an optical drive.



The ones in my link can be had with core2due and up to an I7 SB and they are not much bigger than the size of a box of greeting cards or a wireless router.
m
0
l
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 462 D Laptop
November 8, 2011 12:53:42 AM

popatim said:
The ones in my link can be had with core2due and up to an I7 SB and they are not much bigger than the size of a box of greeting cards or a wireless router.


Ahhh... so they do...

The link was to the SlimPro series, none of which had a Core i3/i5/i7 as an option. Upon further investigation the Digital Engine series do have the latest Intel CPUs.
m
0
l
November 8, 2011 9:47:27 AM

acerace said:
Get a laptop.


I have laptops. I just need a portable Desktop just like my portable DVD player.
m
0
l
November 8, 2011 9:52:55 AM

Hi Buddy, I do understand you. I just don't like the bulky size of the Desktop. When it comes to keypads and keyboard I believe the larger the better.
m
0
l
November 8, 2011 10:01:02 AM

Raiddinn said:
I did say computers and not mobile phones, btw.

In any event, I must really be behind the times because I still use initial caps, punctuation, and I have no idea what nanao is.


Sorry! the spelling is Nano. It means submicroscopic. I also still use Caps and puntuations. I don't write gibberish.
m
0
l
November 8, 2011 11:14:53 AM

If you want a portable desktop, you can find a desktop class laptop.
m
0
l
November 9, 2011 2:43:02 AM

People like different things, and there are plenty of options. you just have to choose between size and performance. I prefer desktops, i can do more and do it faster. My wifes laptop is fairly new, but she can hit the power button, eat, have a smoke, then when all is said n done her computer may be ready to use. my desktop i hit the power button 20 sec. latter im ready to go... ok, maybe a liltle exaggeration on my wife's computer but still. desktops are nice b/c of the performance and upgrade options. i belive desktops last longer tech wise too. something new comes out, say a vid card, most of the time desktops can handle it, not so much with laptops.
m
0
l
November 9, 2011 8:54:36 AM

Wow, I never know that thing exist. My knowledge is so little.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2011 9:36:04 AM

Don't worry mate, I only knew a month ago.

That makes two of us knowledge-less people.

But we can only do our best ;) .
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2011 3:50:09 PM

bri88 said:
and there are plenty of options. you just have to choose between size and performance. I prefer desktops, i can do more and do it faster.


I've always been this way and I prefer desktops wherever possible. (I do have a couple of laptops that I use occasionally, one that is slow and one that is fast.) I've never worried too much about the size of the desktop computer either until fairly recently. I don't need a fast video card, integrated video is good enough for me, and I only need one or two internal drives. I've toyed with building a small machine to replace my big machine that is in an Antec 300 case.

Here is an interesting comparison- I have my overclocked quad core desktop in the Antec 300 case, and I also have a Mac Mini. There is a tremendous difference in size between these. The funny thing is that they cost the same amount! The Mac Mini has a 2.0GHz processor, 320GB hard drive, and 2GB of ram. The desktop has a 3.8GHz quad core processor, 750GB hard drive, and 4GB of ram. (and they cost the same amount!). The Mac mini is barely larger than the internal DVD drive of the desktop computer, but granted it has an external power brick PSU.

I don't think my home computer use would ever work with only a laptop, but I might get to a point of having a real small desktop machine.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2011 5:10:19 PM

Laptops cost about 50% more than comparable desktops.

Apple products cost about 50% more than comparable products.

Put those things together, and that explains the differences you are seeing.
m
0
l
!