Turns on, Fans work, No POST or signal

Oh_noes117

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hello everyone :p
I have been trying to build this computer for the past week now and can not get it to work... This is pretty long so hold on. I first tried it with everything in and couldn't get anything to show, no signals and no beeps... then I reset cmos and started it up and it gave me two beeps, Cmos setting error -_-.. took out battery for 5 mins and then it went back to page 1, nothing. I proceeded to breadboard it and now all I have is the cpu/hsf, mobo and psu in and the case power stuff plugged in. Ive been trying and trying and can not get it to do anything... ill be posting the specs after this and Ive read some questions already and will try to answer all the questions you have for me. If you could help me out i would really appreciate it... THANK YOU!

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Ive got a few more things to add, first off I have no idea which cord gives the POST sounds for the case.. is it the HD audio one? I was never really able to check. also I previously tried to install the cpu on another mobo about a month ago, I got rid of that mobo and bought the gigabyte one but never took of the HSF off the CPU so I couldn't lower the latch to lock the cpu in place.. could that be the problem?

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Because if that is what you are saying then yes this could well be the problem. Remove heatsink assy from the cpu. Refit the cpu in socket locking it securely into place. Refit heatsink assy to cpu (adding thermal paste if needed) then power up and see what happens.

Oh_noes117

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Alright ill try that.. I was going to but I just needed to know if i had to reapply thermal paste on the HSF or if i could just plop it back on quickly. Ill get back to you later about it but I have work soon. Thanks!