Vaio V505AP touchpad/cursor-jumping problem - driver update?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2005 7:53:37 AM

I've acquired a Vaio V505AP which has a problem both with the touchpad
and with the fact that the cursor jumps around at random (a nightmare
when typing).

This problem seems to be well-known, and a driver update to fix it has
been mentioned. Do you know where I would find such a driver for the
Vaio V505AP?

Thanks,

P.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2005 12:56:51 PM

> If you cannot find a touchpad driver at the European support site, post back
> here or email me privately (remove the obvious between, and including, all
> the underscore characters).

Thanks Jeff,

I've followed up over there; as I mentioned, I downloaded the following
driver update -

MTD_Alps_535109a ("Alps Pointing Device Driver Update v 5.3.510.9a,
date 12/11/2003)

Do you have a different driver?

Once I did this, the device now appeared as a Alps Film
pointing-device, which I presume is correct.

The typing problem appears to be correct. I presume this is because the
device now has the tab Mouse -> Tapping -> Tap off when typing, which
it did not have before.

However, the behaviour of the touchpad itself is still incredible
erratic. Not only will it jump around at random, but phantom
left-mouse/right-mouse button presses are registered when only the
touchpad is touched. I'm not sure is this hardware or software related.

You mention "Sony Notebook Setup on the Device tab"... Which device tab
are you referring to here?

Also, I don't have any Sony specific software on the machine, and don't
think any CD which might contain it could be found. Is there anywhere
to download such software?

Thanks,

P.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2005 7:12:14 PM

oceanclub wrote:

| I've acquired a Vaio V505AP which has a problem both with the touchpad
| and with the fact that the cursor jumps around at random (a nightmare
| when typing).
|
| This problem seems to be well-known, and a driver update to fix it has
| been mentioned. Do you know where I would find such a driver for the
| Vaio V505AP?
|
| Thanks,
|
| P.

Hi Paul -

See my post to you at VAIO Village.

If you cannot find a touchpad driver at the European support site, post back
here or email me privately (remove the obvious between, and including, all
the underscore characters).

I have extracted the touchpad driver update for my V505EX and can place it
on my personal web space if you'd like it. Many have reported that the
driver works with other V505 models, even those from Europe.

I could not post this at VAIO Village, because it is against the rules there
to post access to software, other than from official sources.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2005 10:39:47 PM

oceanclub wrote:

| Thanks Jeff,
|
| I've followed up over there; as I mentioned, I downloaded the following
| driver update -
|
| MTD_Alps_535109a ("Alps Pointing Device Driver Update v 5.3.510.9a,
| date 12/11/2003)
|
| Do you have a different driver?

That's the same driver I have.

| Once I did this, the device now appeared as a Alps Film
| pointing-device, which I presume is correct.

Correct.

| The typing problem appears to be correct. I presume this is because the
| device now has the tab Mouse -> Tapping -> Tap off when typing, which
| it did not have before.
|
| However, the behaviour of the touchpad itself is still incredible
| erratic. Not only will it jump around at random, but phantom
| left-mouse/right-mouse button presses are registered when only the
| touchpad is touched. I'm not sure is this hardware or software related.

Your phantoms are inadvertant "touches" of the touchpad. I was driven nuts
because there the touchpad on the V505 is even with the palm rests, unlike
many other notebooks, where it is recessed. Any slight brush against the
touchpad will result in your mouse behaving erratically.

Work with the various settings for the touchpad driver, such as
acceleration, pointer speed, tapping, etc., until you find settings that
better accommodate your typing. Unfortunately, unlike touchpads from other
manufacturers, there isn't a single sensitivity control on the Alps driver.

You may find that you are in the same boat as me .. I can only type with the
touchpad disabled and a USB mouse attached to the computer.

| You mention "Sony Notebook Setup on the Device tab"... Which device tab
| are you referring to here?

Sony Notebook Setup is a stand-alone utility that shipped with your
computer. If you don't have it installed, install it from your Recovery
CDs. It's listed by default in Start | All Programs and also appears in
Control Panel.

Within the Sony Notebook Setup program is a tab labeled Device. This is the
only place the touchpad can be disabled on many VAIO notebooks. Uncheck the
box to enable the touchpad and click Apply. You'll get a warning .. respond
Yes and your touchpad will be disabled. The only way to re-enable the
touchpad is from this program, so ensure you have a mouse handy if the
touchpad is disabled.

USB mice are hot-pluggable, so don't worry about not having a mouse
connected when you start your computer.

| Also, I don't have any Sony specific software on the machine, and don't
| think any CD which might contain it could be found. Is there anywhere
| to download such software?

As mentioned before, insert Recovery CD 1 (not the Startup CD) and the
Application Recovery Tool (ART) should start. Be aware that I'm speaking
from a United States/Canada installation, so European models may be
differently supported.

In any event, from within the ART, you can reinstall any of the utilities
that originally shipped with your computer. Sony Notebook Setup should be
on the list.

If you don't have a Recovery CD Set, unlike the U.S. support site,
VAIO-Link, where I pointed you earlier, has many of the proprietary
utilities available for download. Pay a visit back and have a look. The
program may be bundled with a combined utilities download.

| Thanks,
|
| P.

Happy to help.

Jef