Photoshop Elements 3 help

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 22, 2005 1:31:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like to
step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

More about : photoshop elements

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:21:06 AM

"Dan" <rxi@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
>from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like
>to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

"Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
workbook from Adobe Systems"
It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
think.

Good shooting,
Bob Scott
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 3:06:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Robert Scott" wrote ...

> "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
> workbook from Adobe Systems"

I'll second that recommendation and add another one: "Adobe Photoshop
Elements 3.0 - A Visual Introduction to Digital Imaging" by Philip Andrews.
This book does not include a CD. Instead you can download sample/tutorial
photos from their website. As a result, the cost is a bit more reasonable at
$30 U.S.

Rob
March 22, 2005 3:21:58 AM

In rec.photo.digital Dan <rxi@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
> someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
> from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like to
> step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop Elements Book For Digital Photographers"
for intermediate use, and "Photoshop Elements 3 Down and Dirty Tricks"
for good pieces of advanced technique.

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "Send lawyers, guns and money...."
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Take a look at the Visual Book by Peach Pit Press. They are OK and are
a faster read than most.

Dan wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
>from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like to
>step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 5:14:41 AM

"Robert Scott" <desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Dan" <rxi@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
> >someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
> >from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like
> >to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan
>

> "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
> workbook from Adobe Systems"
> It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
> think.
>
> Good shooting,
> Bob Scott

Ditto on Adobe's training workbook. There are other books that are good, and
show interesting tricks -- including 'the hidden power of photoshop elements 3'
which adds some useful functionality -- but it doesn't hurt to start with the
tool the way the vendor intended.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 6:09:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Robert Scott" <desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Dan" <rxi@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
>>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the
>>most from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would
>>like to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan
>

> "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
> workbook from Adobe Systems"
> It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
> think.
>
> Good shooting,
> Bob Scott

This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
missing something other than slide shows?

Clyde Torres
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 6:09:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:09:58 GMT, "Clyde Torres"
<clyde_torres@yahooo.com> wrote:

>"Robert Scott" <desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dan" <rxi@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
>>>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the
>>>most from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would
>>>like to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan
>>

>> "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
>> workbook from Adobe Systems"
>> It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
>> think.
>>
>> Good shooting,
>> Bob Scott
>

>This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
>of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
>bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
>and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
>Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
>more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
>if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
>missing something other than slide shows?
>
>Clyde Torres

Having both pieces of PE3 open does use lots of memory, mean loss of
speed due to swapping. Task Manager has shown as much as 2GB of memory
in use on a 512MB system.

The catalog is convenient for uploading from the CF card and does have
some management tools. I'm not sure the effort of learning their
method is worth it if you have one of your own that works. The rest is
for the scrapbookers.

Have you seen the Hidden Powers add-ins? Well worth the price which
includes a book and make PE3 much more like PS CS.
www.hiddenelements.com
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 6:09:59 AM

Clyde Torres wrote:
> "Robert Scott" <desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>"Dan" <rxi@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
>>>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the
>>>most from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would
>>>like to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan
>>

>>"Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
>>workbook from Adobe Systems"
>>It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
>>think.
>>
>>Good shooting,
>>Bob Scott
>

> This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
> of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
> bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
> and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
> Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
> more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
> if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
> missing something other than slide shows?
>
> Clyde Torres

Yes. The Organizer has many nice features, such as tags, collections,
and nice search features. It also seems to have quite a few bugs. It
is possible to delete it from the load and not see it at all. You can
find instructions to do that on the Adobe Photoshop Elements forum at
www.adobe.com.

You can also get answers to just about any question you have about the
various features, or how to use them from users who know the program
intimately.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

"Clyde Torres" <clyde_torres@yahooo.com> wrote in message

> This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
> of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
> bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
> and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
> Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
> more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
> if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
> missing something other than slide shows?
>
> Clyde Torres

I think you are missing a lot.

As to overhead, there are no 'copies', but there are catalog files. For my 17Gb
or so worth of pix, the total catalog space is less than 200Mb. No big deal.

As to what it can do, the best thing it did for me was to offer calendar
[time-line] based cataloging of all my pix based on internal file dates, all
nicely sorted regardless of the camera or what directory I had put it in
[usually based on what camera to avoid name collision]. Add to that the quick
fix [with auto backup copy], ability to add user defined tags to allow selective
display [including a 'hide' tag so I can easily ignore 'test' shots without
deleting them], and it's quite a handy tool.

Be aware that the first time you use it, particularly if you import a lot of pix
at once, there is a lot of background processing going on that can slow both the
organizer and the pc itself. Once the material is cataloged, the delay issue
goes away.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 4:13:41 PM

Hi,

There have been several good book suggestions in the preceding
messages. Depending on your level of use -- you may find Deke
McClelland's book 'PSE3 for Dummies' a useful introduction for helping
to learn PSE3.

Best,

Conrad

--
Conrad
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I think the OEM's should incorporate everything in their product, so two
book of mine that I'd reccomend are:

"Photoshop Elements 3 for Dummies" by McCelland and Fott, and
"How to Do Everything with Photoshop Elements 3.0" by Plotkin.

The computer section of any good sized book store should have these as well
as half a dozed others. Just pick the one(s) that appeal to you the most.

Bob
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 5:13:09 AM

"Oliver Costich" <olc-caNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
>>of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
>>bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the
>>folder,
>>and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that
>>the
>>Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
>>more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
>>if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am
>>missing something other than slide shows?
>>
>>Clyde Torres
>>

> Having both pieces of PE3 open does use lots of memory, mean loss of
> speed due to swapping. Task Manager has shown as much as 2GB of memory
> in use on a 512MB system.
>
> The catalog is convenient for uploading from the CF card and does have
> some management tools. I'm not sure the effort of learning their
> method is worth it if you have one of your own that works. The rest is
> for the scrapbookers.
>
> Have you seen the Hidden Powers add-ins? Well worth the price which
> includes a book and make PE3 much more like PS CS.
> www.hiddenelements.com

Oliver,

I will check out Hidden Powers. Thanks for turning me on to these add-ins.

Clyde Torres
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:51:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:27:11 -0800, "Robert Millard"
<r.g.millard@comcast.net> wrote:

>I think the OEM's should incorporate everything in their product, so two
>book of mine that I'd reccomend are:
>
>"Photoshop Elements 3 for Dummies" by McCelland and Fott, and
>"How to Do Everything with Photoshop Elements 3.0" by Plotkin.
>
>The computer section of any good sized book store should have these as well
>as half a dozed others. Just pick the one(s) that appeal to you the most.
>
>Bob

My wife thought that Everyday Photoshop Elemets 3.0 by King was
helpful for someone without much editing experience. I found Hidden
Powers of Photoshop Elements interesting> It's alittle more technical
than most and includes a CD with add-ins that make Elements more like
CS (curves is one that is worth the price of the package).
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:54:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:13:09 GMT, "Clyde Torres"
<clyde_torres@yahooo.com> wrote:

>"Oliver Costich" <olc-caNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
>>>of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
>>>bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the
>>>folder,
>>>and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that
>>>the
>>>Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
>>>more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
>>>if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am
>>>missing something other than slide shows?
>>>
>>>Clyde Torres
>>>

>> Having both pieces of PE3 open does use lots of memory, mean loss of
>> speed due to swapping. Task Manager has shown as much as 2GB of memory
>> in use on a 512MB system.
>>
>> The catalog is convenient for uploading from the CF card and does have
>> some management tools. I'm not sure the effort of learning their
>> method is worth it if you have one of your own that works. The rest is
>> for the scrapbookers.
>>
>> Have you seen the Hidden Powers add-ins? Well worth the price which
>> includes a book and make PE3 much more like PS CS.
>> www.hiddenelements.com
>
>Oliver,
>
>I will check out Hidden Powers. Thanks for turning me on to these add-ins.
>
>Clyde Torres

Their web site is www.hiddenelements.com. The book is here
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078214385...

THe curves and the color correct tools are worth the price of the
book.
!