Computer smells like burning plastic?

UnitedExpress4180

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
For some odd reason, I noticed tonight that a strange burned-plastic smell is coming from my s5250t desktop. I'm not sure if it's the power supply or the motherboard or whatever. I only know that it has taken me several days of smelling something unusual in my room to realize it is my desktop...and that being said, it took my entire room being filled with the smell for me to notice it (for some reason I have been having trouble smelling lately). My computer isn't even 2 years old yet, but because it's no longer under warranty, I certainly can't send it in to get any parts replaced...so what should I do? I haven't taken a look at the inside yet, I'll be doing that in the morning...

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
First off: POWER IT OFF, AND UNPLUG IT! those fumes could be severely toxic (most likely are). When you open it, look for bulging caps. Check around the PSU, and look for any damage. Dust it out if you see no issues (spray duster), then connect it back up and power it on, with the case open. Is there any smell? If so, send it in! if not, use it as a learning experience: Dust out your PC every other week, and KEEP IT OFF THE FLOOR! (seriously, leave it on your desk).

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I am just going to copy and paste my answer from my reply to someone else with similar issue:

if it smelt that bad and still ran, I am thinking PSU -- you are lucky it didn't catch on fire, any time you have an issue that causes a computer to smell, smoke or spark, you should not use it till you fix it.

if it was your MB, it probably would have stopped working almost right away.

you can double check if it is your MB by physically looking at the capacitors, they look like cylinders and there will be quite a few of them throughout your motherboard, if the sides look bulged or the normal flat tops look like they have expanded, time to change the MB (I would replace both the MB & PSU if the MB is showing signs of damage as the PSU may have caused it)

UnitedExpress4180

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Gah...great, just at a time when I have no money to put into this computer :(. Thanks for your help though, I'll go inspect it. If I don't see anything wrong on the motherboard I guess I'm gonna have to find a replacement power supply. Already aired out my room though, left the window open in there and the kitchen all night in order to get some cross-flow. Hope I don't have brain damage now :p

videodood

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I'd just like say that you can take apart the computer make sure the fans are not blocked and filled with dust. Overheating seems to be one of the main reasons for computer breakdowns. I keep a fan blowing on mine at all times!