Status
Not open for further replies.

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hello Gents,

I've completed my build and installed Win 7 64-Bit and everything seems ok, [although ASUS AI Suite II & ASUS Ai Charger failed to install].

But there is a high pitched whining sound that is definitely coming from the PSU.

It is a CoolMaster 460W Elite Power.

Funny thing is that when I tapped Delete & entered the BIOS, it did not make any whining sound, but when Windows is started up, & when the display changes scenes, or anytime I click any choices with the mouse, the noise temporarily stops for a moment while changes are being made.

But at idle, the whining is consistent.

I turned my monitor off, & it decreased somewhat.

I have only one monitor with a VGA connection right off the MOBO.

No graphics card installed. No programs in yet.

No games - No nothing.

Any ideas? Any one else have this happen?

Could my PSU be undersized for this board & CPU?

Thanks,

Jim

Specs:
Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4Ghz
ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro
Crucial M-4 64 GB SSD
CoolMaster 460W Elite Power RS-460-PSAR-J3
16 Gigs Corsair Vengence RAM
emachines Monitor@Recommended Resolution

*Monitor, Mouse & Keyboard Connected - Nothing Else

Solution
How old would you say this PSU is? 1 year? Perhaps even longer than that?

PSUs are like car batteries in some ways, they lose their ability to do the exact same thing over time. The capacitors specifically.

They could potentially lose 20% or more of their max power per year.

Starting with a 400 that can't deliver 400 within industry standard specifications, you could be looking at a PSU that is delivering less than 300 effectively and that is if its only one year old.
Well it's definitely not a great choice for a psu that's for sure.
I've never read a flattering review of any CM psu of the 460W variety.
They've released a few and none deliver their stated power output and are very inefficient by today's standards.70%
Sounds like it's defective i'd rma it if that's possible.
Much better unit in alot of ways.
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

The Cooler Master Elite Power 460w is actually a 400w that can't even deliver 400w within specifications.

Take it back and get the Corsair Builder Series 430 or an Antec EarthWatts 430 instead.

Then try it again and see if that changes anything.

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I actually had it in my old system for about a year.
I upped the one in there because it was just a measly 380W. It ran fine in that rig.
That was a AMD Athlon x2 64 with a number of peripherals connected and 2 Monitors.

I agree that this one only claims 70% efficient.

I was anticipating a better one for this build, and could always put this one back in my other rig that it came from. I use both computers.

beenthere

Distinguished
Coil whine in a PSU is quite common. It may go away but probably not.

If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read-determine-power-required

How old would you say this PSU is? 1 year? Perhaps even longer than that?

PSUs are like car batteries in some ways, they lose their ability to do the exact same thing over time. The capacitors specifically.

They could potentially lose 20% or more of their max power per year.

Starting with a 400 that can't deliver 400 within industry standard specifications, you could be looking at a PSU that is delivering less than 300 effectively and that is if its only one year old.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.