Sign in with
Your question

ASUS MoBo beeps randomly?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
Last response: in Motherboards
August 6, 2012 8:02:03 PM

Hi, ever since I received my new ASUS P9X79 MoBo two weeks ago it has randomly beeped. I get the one beep on start up to indicate that everying is okay, but after that the PC beeps randomly. It isn't the same sound that I hear, and sometimes th beep will cut half way through etc. It's hard to explain but it's not the same and happens a few time severy hour (on average). I tried to turn the Windows beep(s) off and that seemed to work until I heard one beep a few minutes ago. I've heard that it has something to do with CPU temperatures but with my system the CPU averages at around 30 C which is brilliant. I did recently unplug one of my two CPU Coolers' fans as it was buzzing in the case but that hasen't effected the temperatures at all and the beep did happen before I did it so it couldn't be that fan. The beeps don't effect anything on the PC at all, but they do happen. I don't get freezing, slowdown or anything like that. Do you guys know what the problem could be? I don't think it's a hardware issue but I'd like to be sure.

My specs:
Intel Core i7 Quad Core 3.6GHz Processor
2TB SATA-III HDD
60GB Gaming SSD
16GB DDR3 1600mhz Kingston HyperX RAM
Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Graphics Card
850W Corsair Power Supply

Thanks in advance!

More about : asus mobo beeps randomly

a c 233 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 6, 2012 8:30:23 PM

I have the same motherboard and have not had this issue. However, I had something similar with another rig a while back and it turned out to be a failing UPS. Are you connected to an UPS?

Also, have you upgraded you BIOS to the latest version. My mobo shipped with a very old version and changing to the current version made a HUGE difference in performance and GPU stability.

Good luck!
August 6, 2012 8:38:57 PM

I'll try updating the BIOS. And with the UPS, I'm fairly inexperienced with them so is there a way to find out if it is failing? And from what I know it's the Power supply correct? And my power supply is also only 2 weeks old so could that really be the problem?
Related resources
a c 233 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 6, 2012 8:42:45 PM

No the PSU and the UPS are 2 different things. An UPS provides backup power to your system in the event the power fails. Kind of like a power strip with a battery backup. Are you connected to such a device?
August 6, 2012 8:42:59 PM

COLGeek said:
I have the same motherboard and have not had this issue. However, I had something similar with another rig a while back and it turned out to be a failing UPS. Are you connected to an UPS?

Also, have you upgraded you BIOS to the latest version. My mobo shipped with a very old version and changing to the current version made a HUGE difference in performance and GPU stability.

Good luck!

I'll try updating the BIOS. And with the UPS, I'm fairly inexperienced with that so could you explain and is there a way to find out if it is failing?
August 6, 2012 8:46:13 PM

COLGeek said:
No the PSU and the UPS are 2 different things. An UPS provides backup power to your system in the event the power fails. Kind of like a power strip with a battery backup. Are you connected to such a device?

If it's a seperate component I need to buy I don't think so. I have a surge protector but I don't think that has anything to do with what you are talking about.

Apologies for the previous reply, I editted the message and it screwed up on me.
August 6, 2012 8:50:31 PM

A couple of computers back, I had this issue with an Asus P4PE motherboard. I never did find a reason for the beeps; however, some google-searching showed I wasn't the only one experiencing random meaningless beeps.

A simple solution was removing the motherboard speaker. The system ran fine like that for more than two years.
a c 233 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 6, 2012 8:51:18 PM

No problem. Updating the BIOS may not solve the chirping/beeping problem, but it won't hurt either.

Also,check your fan speed settings in the BIOS. The standard low speed fan warning is set at 600rpm. Change to 200rpm. Could also be a fan slowing down and the system "warning" you about it.
August 6, 2012 8:53:20 PM

COLGeek said:
No problem. Updating the BIOS may not solve the chirping/beeping problem, but it won't hurt either.

Also,check your fan speed settings in the BIOS. The standard low speed fan warning is set at 600rpm. Change to 200rpm. Could also be a fan slowing down and the system "warning" you about it.

Okay, I'll check that now. Give me a couple of minutes and I'll get back to you. Could you tell me what update your BIOS is on? My current update is 4/10/12 but I don't know is that's the most recent.
August 6, 2012 9:00:44 PM

COLGeek said:
The current version is 2002. See this link:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X7...

Thanks. I changed the RPM to 200 so I'm hoping that solves the problem. My fan usually runs at around 632RPM so it would make sense that would be the problem. I'll let you know and I'll try to update my BIOS is it's outdated.

Hoping for the best!
a c 233 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 6, 2012 11:16:45 PM

Are you 100% sure it is the motherboard speaker beeping?
August 7, 2012 9:46:32 AM

COLGeek said:
Are you 100% sure it is the motherboard speaker beeping?

Not at all. I would think that is the only place it could come from I don't use speakers, only a headset.

Is there any other component that could beep?
a c 233 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 7, 2012 11:24:12 AM

One way to find out. Disconnect the speaker from the speaker header and run without it as a test.
!