Can progressive scan output be used for all games?

Can the progressive scan video output of the GameCube be used for all games? I
know that only some games will support higher resolution progressive scan, but
will other games at least show up as normal?

Or do I need to have two video output cords.... one for progressive scan games
and one using the normal AV out?

Thanks,

Tom

Not all games are progressive scan. You can find out which ones are at
http://www.hdtvarcade.com As for non-pscan games showing up, it depends on
your HDTV. Some will accept all signals and display them, others will force
you to use an alternate connection.

On 27 Dec 2004 02:47:38 GMT, tom288@aol.com-NO-SPAM (Tom 288) wrote:

>Can the progressive scan video output of the GameCube be used for all games? I
>know that only some games will support higher resolution progressive scan, but
>will other games at least show up as normal?
>
>Or do I need to have two video output cords.... one for progressive scan games
>and one using the normal AV out?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tom

I think you've gotten yourself a bit mixed up. If what you are asking
is can all GameCube games be displayed via the component video cables,
then the answer to that is yes. Although component cables are
required for progressive scan, that does not mean that they are *only*
for progressive scan. 480i signals are displayed just fine through
component cables.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Tom 288" <tom288@aol.com-NO-SPAM> wrote
> Can the progressive scan video output of the GameCube be used for all
games? I
> know that only some games will support higher resolution progressive scan,
but
> will other games at least show up as normal?

Most GC games are capable of 480p, however not all of them are. In order to
enable 480p, hold down the 'B' button while powering up with a 480p capable
game. You'll be greeted to an option to enable progressive output. Once
enabled, games capable of 480p will automatically load to be displayed with
progressive output. To disable 480p again, either hold down the 'B' button
to get the same option again or power up the GC without a component cable.
(It will automatically revert to 480i without a component cable.)

To answer your question about the necessity of two cables, 480i and 480p
video can both be carried through the component cable. You won't have to
switch between cables in order to play 480i-only and 480p-capable games.
However, you will still need to have both component cables hooked up to the
GC's "digital video out port" (name of this port doesn't make total sense
since component video is analog) and RCA cables hooked up to the GC "analog
video out port".

> Or do I need to have two video output cords.... one for progressive scan
games and one using the normal AV out?

Yes, both cables are required to be hooked up on the GC. Not for video, but
for audio. The component cables for the GC lack audio. You'll still need
to pull the audio from the RCA cables. (Don't need to hook up the yellow
video cables, just the red/white RCA audio cables.)

> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Hope that helps. If you have an HDTV (or 480p capable EDTV), definetly get
yourself a set of component cables! Bought a set off Ebay ($20) for use
with my HDTV and couldn't be more pleased. Always thought the composite
video out for the GC was rather weak. S-video, I'm sure, would've been a
major improvement but since I have an HDTV went for component. Using
component cables was a major improvement over composite, for both 480i and
480p. Soul Calibur II (480p) looks incredible. First thing you'll notice
with progressive video is a major improvement for on-screen text. All the
"jittering" and "artificating" around text will be practically completetly
eliminated.

>> Or do I need to have two video output cords.... one for progressive scan
>> games and one using the normal AV out?

> Yes, both cables are required to be hooked up on the GC. Not for video, but
> for audio. The component cables for the GC lack audio. You'll still need
> to pull the audio from the RCA cables. (Don't need to hook up the yellow
> video cables, just the red/white RCA audio cables.)

Thank you! That's what I wanted to know!

I didn't know if the GameCube would output 480i games over the component
cables. The audio issue would have tripped me up for a few minutes.... glad
you pointed it out.

Tom

> Most GC games are capable of 480p, however not all of them are. In order to
> enable 480p, hold down the 'B' button while powering up with a 480p capable
> game. You'll be greeted to an option to enable progressive output. Once
> enabled, games capable of 480p will automatically load to be displayed with
> progressive output. To disable 480p again, either hold down the 'B' button
> to get the same option again or power up the GC without a component cable.
> (It will automatically revert to 480i without a component cable.)

So... if I hold down the B button to enable a 480p game, does the GameCube stay
in 480p mode until further notice (even if turned off)? Or do I need to boot
up with the B button for 480p games every time?

Tom

You only have to hold b down for the first game. After that, any game with
480p will default to a menu selection that says: Use progressive mode
Yes/No, if you don't make a choice, it defaults to yes. So after the first
game, every other game after that (regardless of what game) will then be
480p if it supports it (pretty much all games do).

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

>> Most GC games are capable of 480p, however not all of them are. In order
>> enable 480p, hold down the 'B' button while powering up with a 480p
>> capable
>> game. You'll be greeted to an option to enable progressive output. Once
>> enabled, games capable of 480p will automatically load to be displayed
>> with
>> progressive output. To disable 480p again, either hold down the 'B'
>> button
>> to get the same option again or power up the GC without a component
>> cable.
>> (It will automatically revert to 480i without a component cable.)
>
> So... if I hold down the B button to enable a 480p game, does the GameCube
> stay
> in 480p mode until further notice (even if turned off)? Or do I need to
> boot
> up with the B button for 480p games every time?
>
> Tom

TRENDING THREADS