Motherboard questions

Leoso

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hello,

Can someone explain me the basics about motherboards?

If a mother has an amd chipset it wont work with an intel cpu?

How do I know if a mother will work with certain memory/cpu/graphic?

Can I oc my cpu in every mother the same way?

Thanks

Solution
Every cpu is different so the board has to support it with the same pin count and voltage specs. The chipset has certain features built in such as usb 3.0 or sata III. Newer boards have more features so they cost more than older models. Overclocking is hit or miss. You need a good power supply (branded, not low end with plenty of amps on the 12v rail) good ram, and a cpu that either is unlocked or a from a good batch. You also need a board with voltage and ram adjustments; oem boards by dell or hp don't allow overclocking. Amateurs like yourself might change a setting causing the motherboard not to post (blank screen). Dell or HP doesn't want customer returns caused by operator error.
Every cpu is different so the board has to support it with the same pin count and voltage specs. The chipset has certain features built in such as usb 3.0 or sata III. Newer boards have more features so they cost more than older models. Overclocking is hit or miss. You need a good power supply (branded, not low end with plenty of amps on the 12v rail) good ram, and a cpu that either is unlocked or a from a good batch. You also need a board with voltage and ram adjustments; oem boards by dell or hp don't allow overclocking. Amateurs like yourself might change a setting causing the motherboard not to post (blank screen). Dell or HP doesn't want customer returns caused by operator error.

Solution