Need a new desktop for HD editing and 3d graphics

Hey guys, judging by other threads on here, you're all very smart and helpful cookies so Im hoping you can help me out.
Im needing a new comp for editing HD footage using adobe premiere pro as well as working with Nuke and cinema 4D

I've shopped around and this is what I've been offered at two different places
For New Zealand price $3125

Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge 3.40GHz 8MB 95W LGA1155
Gigabtye GA-P67X-UD3-B3
2x Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3-1600
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B CPU Cooler
2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA3 (Raid 0)
EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX580 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E
CoolerMaster CM Storm Enforcer Gaming Case w/Window
Seasonic M12II Bronze 620W 80Plus Power Supply
LG BH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Writer Lightscribe Black SATA
2x STLab F171 1394b 3-Port Firewire Card
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64Bit OEM
Standard Hardware installation and configuration + OS install
Overclocking to 4.5GHz

A bit costly for me but seems pretty good otherwise this one for $2480
Intel Sandy Core Bridge Core i7 2600 3.4ghz
Intel Original BOXDZ68DB Z68 SATA USB3 MB
Kingston 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1333mhz memory
2x WD Black Edition 1TB SATA3 7200rpm HDD
Liteon iHBS212 12x Internal SATA Blu-Ray Disk Writer Retail Black Lightscribe
Palit GF GTX 580 PCI-E 2.0 1536MB DDR5 384-bit 783/4020MHz, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI PCI-e Video
Integrated Sound + GB Lan
Antec VSK-2000 Black Midi Tower
Huntkey Jumper 550W Modular 80+ PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64Bits OEM
Assembled Box

Anything about either of those you guys would change or remove altogether? Im more likely to go for the cheaper one, I dont think I would need a 3gig graphics card would I?
Is there anything about either of those specs that you guys would change? Besides realizing I need a Raid 0 at least for the two HDD's if i go for the cheaper option
Im mainly looking to do some heavy editing as a freelance videographer for music videos and short films down the line
Thanks very much in advance guys
9 answers Last reply
More about need desktop editing graphics
  1. I should clarify when I said 3D animation in the title thread I didnt mean pop out of the screen 3D I meant Cinema 4D, NukeX, Maya-that sort of thing, animation i guess
  2. Jonrobbie said:
    Huntkey Jumper 550W Modular 80+ PSU
    I was expecting the worst from that Huntkey PSU but it turns out to be the first model I've seen that can get a good recommendation after an independent testing.
    Huntkey Jumper 550 Power Supply Review @ HardwareSecrets

Are your only options these two pre-built systems?

Anything with the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T?
  3. You can edit your 2nd post and take out that quote from your first post. The Edit tools are in the lower right corner of the post.
  4. At the moment just two stores ive asked yeah-yeah I saw that review for the Huntkey, sounds pretty good-would I be ok with a 1.5 graphics card instead of two?
  5. Are you going to be making a living with this system or is it more of a hobby type system?

The graphics card is one are you can easily drop back a couple models to cut some costs without gutting performance.

You might want to have them price out a system with i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, and GTX 560Ti for comparison.
  6. This will be freelance videography work-hopefully be very busy with it-a lot of editing with premiere pro-after effects, audio work with adobe audience and animation with Nuke

So a i5 2500k with 8gig should be ok for HD editing? Yeah from what Ive read about the GTX 560Ti-two of that can do better than the 580 at the same price
  7. Something im struggling with is either a GeForce GTX or Quadro-I wanna do some 3d animation-could two 560 GTX cards give a good performance in comparison to a Quadro?
  8. It actually is VERY good for video editing work. I think for the type of work you plan a single video card would get the work done.

Earning a living with your system is one time it might make more sense to spend more on the equipment. Im just not sure if it's the PC, the software or the camera gear where it will be better spent. I suspect it might be the software.

The i5-2500K will get the work done, no doubt about that. The big i7 system will get the work done a smidge faster.
  9. Jonrobbie said:
    Something im struggling with is either a GeForce GTX or Quadro-I wanna do some 3d animation-could two 560 GTX cards give a good performance in comparison to a Quadro?
    It's a fair question and one where you'd best get an expert option from the people who know the software best.

This is going to be that type of software/hardware question that's best answered by the people who know and use the software doing the same things you plan to do.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems