Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Bios 'PC Health' Location?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 6, 2012 10:29:20 PM

Hi all, I've been wondering a few things about the current ASUS BIOS. I've heard that on some BIOS pages there is a 'PC Health' page and I was wonderirng how to get to that from my BIOS? I have a ASUS P9X79 MoBo is that's any help :) 

Also, how can I set it so my PC will not warn me when the PC gets to certain temperatures? I am getting beeps randomly which I assume are because of temperatures (even though they are great) and wish to change this.
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 7, 2012 2:16:57 PM

Pressing the DEL key when you power on the system will allow you to access the BIOS and the health portion of it.

When in the BIOS, click on the advanced settings and then make the fan speed adjustments in the power management section.

Your mobo manual contains all of this information, BTW. Just something to keep in mind for future reference.....

Still beeping, huh?
August 7, 2012 8:48:37 PM

COLGeek said:
Pressing the DEL key when you power on the system will allow you to access the BIOS and the health portion of it.

When in the BIOS, click on the advanced settings and then make the fan speed adjustments in the power management section.

Your mobo manual contains all of this information, BTW. Just something to keep in mind for future reference.....

Still beeping, huh?

Sure is, was wondering if you could tell me where the sound card inplugged in? I may just be dumb and inexperienced but I don't want to pull out a cable I'm not ment to. Also, I've been looking at the manual but it's pretty poorly written IMO.

In the BIOS, is there a part where I can set the PC to warn me when the PC reaches a certain temp? I've heard that could be the problem?
Related resources
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 7, 2012 9:47:12 PM

The speaker header is located with the rest of the header connections near the front corner of your motherboard. Look at your manual and locate the info for the front panel connections.

The speaker is something completely different than the sound card. That being said, what is beeping? Your system inside the case? Or, a sound from the speakers (attached to your sound card)?
August 8, 2012 12:02:27 AM

COLGeek said:
The speaker header is located with the rest of the header connections near the front corner of your motherboard. Look at your manual and locate the info for the front panel connections.

The speaker is something completely different than the sound card. That being said, what is beeping? Your system inside the case? Or, a sound from the speakers (attached to your sound card)?

It must have been that plug socket. I unplugged it and no more buzzing. However, will I miss any important beeps because of this? (I know I no longer get the start up beep) but will I miss anything important from Windows or anything?

And do you think this is okay long term? Or should I phone ASUS or the place I got the Motherboard from?
August 8, 2012 12:31:31 AM

COLGeek said:

Okay, the beeping has returned! Isn't this fantastic? It obviously isn't that part of the PC. Could it be any other component?
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 8, 2012 1:05:20 AM

Please provide a complete list of your components and anything attached to your rig.
August 8, 2012 11:12:33 AM

COLGeek said:
Please provide a complete list of your components and anything attached to your rig.

Okay, I have:

Intel Core i7 Quad Core 3.6GHz Processor

Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA-III HDD

Corsair 60GB Gaming SSD

16GB DDR3 1600mhz Kingston HyperX RAM

Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard

NVIDIA MSI GTX 670 2GB Graphics Card

HX850W Corsair Power Supply

Pioneer Blu Ray Drive
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 8, 2012 12:24:51 PM

Just to confirm....you have disconnected the speaker from the speaker header on the motherboard. Correct?

If so, now I want you to disconnect your speakers (for troubleshooting).

Also, check your surge suppressor to see if it has an alarm on it. If you can't verify, one way or the other, then swap it out.
August 8, 2012 11:39:25 PM

COLGeek said:
Just to confirm....you have disconnected the speaker from the speaker header on the motherboard. Correct?

If so, now I want you to disconnect your speakers (for troubleshooting).

Also, check your surge suppressor to see if it has an alarm on it. If you can't verify, one way or the other, then swap it out.

Disconnected the speaker header and i only use a usb headset so it's not speakers. I'm sure i've narrowed it down to my blu ray, hdd or ssd as I unplugged them and the beeping stopped. Like I say the beep doesn't occur when i'm in BIOS so i'm sure it's one of those. Do you know which of these can beep? I think it's the HDD but I can't be sure.

And do you mean I should use a different surge protector to check?
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 1:43:35 AM

Only if your surge suppressor has an alarm. Some do to advise you when they have been tripped.

I have never heard an optical drive, SSD, or HDD "beep" before. Are you connected to your display via HDMI or DisplayPort?
August 9, 2012 1:56:00 PM

COLGeek said:
Only if your surge suppressor has an alarm. Some do to advise you when they have been tripped.

I have never heard an optical drive, SSD, or HDD "beep" before. Are you connected to your display via HDMI or DisplayPort?

Supposedly some SeaGate HDDs do beep, but that may not be it, I still can't be 100% sure. I plugged my SSD and Blu Ray back in this morning and ran the PC for just under an hour without a beep. When I get home tonight I'll run it for a few hours without the HDD plugged in and if there are no 'chirps' then I'll be more confident that the HDD is the problem. And if it turns out the HDD does 'chirp' by default I'll be replacing it for a different one. The noise is irritating.

And yes, I have two screens, one connected via HDMI one connected by what I believe is a DisplayPort. I have to convert the plug from VGA to it.
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 2:31:32 PM

Just to verify, the sound is not coming from one of your displays, right? Also, I have definitely heard some hard drives make chirping-like sounds when they are being accessed. If that is the case, you should be able to re-produce easily.

If itis the HDD, I suggest going to Seagate and downloading the appropriate Seagate Diagnostic app for your model of HDD to verify the status of the HDD.
August 9, 2012 3:13:41 PM

COLGeek said:
Just to verify, the sound is not coming from one of your displays, right? Also, I have definitely heard some hard drives make chirping-like sounds when they are being accessed. If that is the case, you should be able to re-produce easily.

If itis the HDD, I suggest going to Seagate and downloading the appropriate Seagate Diagnostic app for your model of HDD to verify the status of the HDD.

My displays, I don't think so. Like I say, I think it is the HDD. I'm 80% sure. I'll test it when I can and tell you the results. And when you say a Diagnostic App, do you mean something like Seatools? I've downloaded that but not ran a long test just yet.
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 3:21:07 PM

Yep, each vendor calls their tool something else. SeaTools will let you check out the HDD pretty thoroughly.
August 9, 2012 9:44:11 PM

COLGeek said:
Yep, each vendor calls their tool something else. SeaTools will let you check out the HDD pretty thoroughly.

I'm now 99% sure it's the HDD. Plugged it back in and BOOM. It chirped. I'm running SeaTools now but it'll take awhile. Overall I think I may just replace it and try and get a better 2TB HDD. Can you recommend the best brands? I know SeaGate are good but my experience with them hasen't gone 'smooth' thus far.
!