Ga-73pvm-s2h 4GB RAM only 3.25GB Useable.

stokietom

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hi guys,

I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit.

My specs:

E6750 2.6Ghz
4GB DDR2
ga-73pvm-s2h Motherboard
5450 1GB PCI-e GFX Card.

For some reason, I only have 3.25GB ram useable out of my 4GB.

Could anyone tell me why this might be please? Could it be chipset limitation?

Thanks

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
hi there
the 1.75gb of ram is allocated to onboard graphics ... i discovered this when doing a recent build... and while installing windows i used the onboard intel HD graphics on the cpu....
while installing windows system informed me i had 4gb of ram with 3.5gb usable ( it varies from motherboard and cpu... it depends how much memory is allocated to the onboard graphics
however if you use a dedicated graphics card ( in my case i used a HD5750 ) you should go into the bios ( press delete at boot ) and disable any options that relate to the onboard graphics...... this include
1) onboard video ... disable
2) init display first... set this to peg or pci-x
depending on the motherboard there may be more options relating to the onboard graphics ( being on the board or on the cpu ) .... consult your motherboard manual
anyway as soon as i started using the HD5750 system preferences reported 4gb installed and 4gb usable ...... happy days
hope this helps

neil9294

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

I realise this thread is quite old and I may not be able to answer the original question. However, I have the same motherboard and with 4Gb RAM installed, Windows 10 64 bit was showing the full 4Ggb as usable. I have since upgraded the memory to 8Gb (2X4Gb modules) of G.Skill DDR2 800Mhz. Despite the fact that the motherboard documentation all says that the maximum RAM capacity is 4Gb, it accepted the full 8Gb no trouble at all. So, my specs now read:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Quad QX9650 @ 3.00Ghz
    RAM: 8Gb (2X4Gb) G.Skill DDr2 800Mhz
    HDD: Kingston HyperX SSD 240GB
    GPU: XFX AMD Radeon RX460 Single Slot

• The net result is that the machine goes like a scalded cat and is totally stable. This motherboard allows for overclocking in the BIOS. I have found the I can overclock the CPU by raising the multiplier from 9 to 10 without raising the voltage and it remains completely stable. Not bad for an old and cheap PC.