IBM 600e running win2k, want to go back to win98se

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2005 1:36:47 PM

Hello group,
I searched google for an answer to this question, but I was unable to find
an appropiate answer.

I currently run win2k on my 600e, but my husband would like to be able to
run his older games on this system, but because the games are SO old, they
don't like win2k.

I can't figure out how to get a C: prompt, so that I can format the disk and
install the win98se. I can't get the system to boot to the floppy drive
either.

Can someone please help me out here? If I can accomplish this, I get to
trade laptops with my husband, and his T22 is much nicer than my 600e.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brigitte
August 4, 2005 9:54:53 PM

Brigitte <brigittejohnston@gmail.com> wrote:
: Hello group,
: I searched google for an answer to this question, but I was unable to find
: an appropiate answer.

: I currently run win2k on my 600e, but my husband would like to be able to
: run his older games on this system, but because the games are SO old, they
: don't like win2k.

Windows 98 is horribly unreliable and unstable. Windows 2000 is far
superior. I highly discourage you from going back to Windows 98
unless he is planning to use that laptop *only* for games.

What I would recommend instead is to install a dual-boot of Win98 and
Windows 2000. It's a bit of work, but here's what I would do:

Partition your hard disk into three partitions - Primary for Win98,
Primary for Windows 2000, and an Extended Partition for both. You
would need to do this with something called "fdisk" or another free
utility perhaps on the Ultimate Boot CD:

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/download.html

(If you partition you will lose EVERYTHING so make sure you have a
backup!)

If Win98 is to be used exclusively for games, you can skip the
Extended Partition and just split the disk space between the two
Primary Partitions. But an Extended Partition would allow you to
share files between Windows 2000 and Windows 98.

Then, install Win98 *first* and install Windows 2000 *second* on the
correct partitions.

OK, after typing all this I know you probably won't go to the trouble,
but encourage your hubby to do so! :-)

: I can't figure out how to get a C: prompt, so that I can format the disk and
: install the win98se. I can't get the system to boot to the floppy drive
: either.

To boot from floppy, you need to get into the BIOS when you boot the
computer and change the boot options. You probably need to press the
F1 key right when the IBM logo comes on screen the instant you boot.
You don't have much time to do this, have to do it quickly!

If you have a Windows 98 CD, you could boot that instead of the floppy.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Hi Brigitte,

In the interests of brevity I've removed your original message and Andrew's response but wanted to write in support of Andrew's suggestion. Andrew is absolutely "on the money". I went through the process of upgrading a Win98SE (which I loved - my friend had the same notebook with WinME installed, so in comparison Win98 was awesome in its stability) installation to Win2k. For reasons similar to your husband's, I decided to revert to Win98, figured out how to do so, and did it. I was back to Win2k within a week. Win98 is absolute garbage compared to Win2k. The difference is actually greater than that between Win98 and WinME. Dual booting a system with a small Win98 partition for gaming is the only way I'd even consider this for my own use, given what I now know (I didn't because at the time I only had a 6 GB hd to play with and didn't care that much about playing games).

Now, you say your husband is willing to trade notebooks if you can figure this out... With that in mind, here's how I went back to Win98:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;250456

The last 6 digits are the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article number, if the link doesn't take you directly to the article.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 5, 2005 12:22:53 AM

Darwin <mNOSpAMlant@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Hi Brigitte,

: In the interests of brevity I've removed your original message and
: Andrew's response but wanted to write in support of Andrew's
: suggestion. Andrew is absolutely "on the money". I went through the
: process of upgrading a Win98SE (which I loved - my friend had the same
: notebook with WinME installed, so in comparison Win98 was awesome in
: its stability) installation to Win2k. For reasons similar to your
: husband's, I decided to revert to Win98, figured out how to do so, and
: did it. I was back to Win2k within a week. Win98 is absolute garbage
: compared to Win2k. The difference is actually greater than that
: between Win98 and WinME.

Actually, FYI, there's not much difference between Win98 and WinME.
WinME is "enhanced" but Window 98 and ME are from the same Windows
code stream of Windows 95/98/ME. On the other hand, Windows 2000 is
an entirely different code stream. That stream is Windows NT/2000/XP,
which was developed separately from the 95/98/ME stream.

Sometimes, understandably, people mix up the "Millennium Edition" (ME)
of Windows with "Windows 2000," but they are only distant cousins.
Windows 98 and ME are very closely related (hence, ME is unreliable
also). Windows 2000 and XP are also closely related, and both are
very stable and reliable.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> Darwin <mNOSpAMlant@hotmail.com> wrote:
> : Hi Brigitte,
>
> : In the interests of brevity I've removed your original message and
> : Andrew's response but wanted to write in support of Andrew's
> : suggestion. Andrew is absolutely "on the money". I went through the
> : process of upgrading a Win98SE (which I loved - my friend had the same
> : notebook with WinME installed, so in comparison Win98 was awesome in
> : its stability) installation to Win2k. For reasons similar to your
> : husband's, I decided to revert to Win98, figured out how to do so, and
> : did it. I was back to Win2k within a week. Win98 is absolute garbage
> : compared to Win2k. The difference is actually greater than that
> : between Win98 and WinME.
>
> Actually, FYI, there's not much difference between Win98 and WinME.
> WinME is "enhanced" but Window 98 and ME are from the same Windows
> code stream of Windows 95/98/ME. On the other hand, Windows 2000 is
> an entirely different code stream. That stream is Windows NT/2000/XP,
> which was developed separately from the 95/98/ME stream.
>
> Sometimes, understandably, people mix up the "Millennium Edition" (ME)
> of Windows with "Windows 2000," but they are only distant cousins.
> Windows 98 and ME are very closely related (hence, ME is unreliable
> also). Windows 2000 and XP are also closely related, and both are
> very stable and reliable.
>
> Andrew

Thanks Andrew and Darwin for your great responses.

I was able to get the Win98se installed on the 600e per your advice.

Because my husband will only be using the laptop for the old games, and for
nothing else, we didn't need the partitioning.

I'm looking forward to playing with my "new" T22 laptop. I use my laptop a
lot when I'm away from home, and I'm away from home a lot. I prefer win2k,
but never thought I'd leave win98se, since I thought this old dog couldn't
learn new tricks. If I'd known how much better/stable win2k was, I'd have
made the change much sooner.

I still say I'll never go to winXP, but I remember 2 years ago saying the
same about win2k. I should learn to never say never :)

Thanks again guys...

Brigitte
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 5, 2005 1:26:46 AM

Hi Andrew, Sorry, I wasn't very clear in that posting - I know the difference between 98SE and ME (or lack thereof); I was trying to indicate that I stuck with 98 after ME came out and everyone realised what a dog's breakfast it was (98 with some features from 2000 grafted - badly - onto it and even less stable). At any rate, I wasn't trying to imply that ME is 2000 and was really trying to plug for retaining 2000! I use XP Pro on one notebook and 2k on the other (the same machine I upgraded from 98 5 years ago) and would never go back.

Actually, FYI, there's not much difference between Win98 and WinME.
WinME is "enhanced" but Window 98 and ME are from the same Windows
code stream of Windows 95/98/ME. On the other hand, Windows 2000 is
an entirely different code stream. That stream is Windows NT/2000/XP,
which was developed separately from the 95/98/ME stream.

Sometimes, understandably, people mix up the "Millennium Edition" (ME)
of Windows with "Windows 2000," but they are only distant cousins.
Windows 98 and ME are very closely related (hence, ME is unreliable
also). Windows 2000 and XP are also closely related, and both are
very stable and reliable.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

[comp.sys.laptops]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 5, 2005 1:33:39 AM

Ah, I now realise what you were meaning (I teach and am always exhorting students to READ, but do I take my own advice, no...). By difference I meant in terms of stability. I've always found 98 to be more stable than ME but markedly less stable than 2k... : Win98 is absolute garbage
[...]

August 5, 2005 1:54:36 AM

Darwin <mNOSpAMlant@hotmail.com> wrote:
:

: Hi Andrew, Sorry, I wasn't very clear in that posting - I know
: the difference between 98SE and ME (or lack thereof); I was trying to
: indicate that I stuck with 98 after ME came out and everyone realised
: what a dog's breakfast it was (98 with some features from 2000 grafted
: - badly - onto it and even less stable). At any rate, I wasn't trying
: to imply that ME is 2000 and was really trying to plug for retaining
: 2000! I use XP Pro on one notebook and 2k on the other (the same
: machine I upgraded from 98 5 years ago) and would never go back.

Didn't mean to question your knowledge, but it is very common for
people to confuse ME and 2000 in my experience. I did too before I
was doing much with Windows.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----