Sign in with
Your question

Monitor color adjustments

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 6, 2011 12:45:57 AM

Hello everyone.

So i have a dual screen setup and im trying to get them to as close as color setup as possible.
i have 2 Gateway monitors that i purchased about 2 years ago or so.

theyre the

fhx2300 http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668278.php

hx2000 http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668293.php

Though the same family, but theyre super different in color.

is there any method(dvd/website etc) you guys use to get proper ( or as close as possible ) color calibration on your monitors? any pro dvd or website?
ill take any tips that dont involve some guy coming to my house lol

thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2011 10:01:36 AM

Unfortunately you're on your own here, it's always advised that multi-monitor set ups are identical monitors OR different screen sizes of the same brand, series & family of monitors. Using completely different families and series of the same brand guarantees nothing unfortunately.
m
l
a c 164 U Graphics card
a c 104 C Monitor
June 6, 2011 2:14:45 PM

Go into the color adjustments of the monitor and fiddle with it till they look the same. There are sites out there that can toss up test patters for you http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Start with the brightness and contrast.
m
l
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 6, 2011 2:56:24 PM

*Do the following:
1) make sure both monitors are properly detected (right-click desktop-> Screen resolution-> Display). If your display name is there it's okay (check both screens). If one or both say "generic monitor" you need to install the DRIVERS for your monitor.

2. Now open your Control Panel for your graphics card and change a particular setting. The following is for my AMD HD5870:
- open "CCC" (Catalyst Control Center)
- open "My Digital Flat Panels
- check "Extended Display Identification Data" (check for both monitors if that's an option. I don't know as I have on monitor only)

What the above does is to choose the proper colours for your monitor. That's why the drivers must be installed so they "tell" your system their specifications, including their color information.

3. Calibrating both monitors further:
You could try to find some calibration software online that works on both monitors at the same time. A quick option that should work (after the first two steps are done is):
a) leave the main monitor settings alone
b) run the Window Media Center setup for the monitor (people playing pool etc.). I'm not certain if it shows the image on both monitors. If so, this is the easiest method. Just adjust the second monitor to match the first one on all settings.

c) if the above doesn't work, you can try setting the background color to the same setting and using either your graphics Control Center or the second monitor's built-in individual Red-Green-Blue calibration (if it has the option).

There may be better software for #3 but this is the basic method of calibrating two monitors.

OTHER:
1) if possible check "enable GPU scaling" but that's not a big deal and I won't get into it here.
2) option #2 (EDID) can sometimes be disabled. I'm not certain if installing new drivers does this or not. The easiest way to know is to use the same picture of someone's face. It should look normal with your settings correct and will likely be REDDER if EDID is disabled (at least different).
3) EDID is a very important setting. The colours are almost always off if it's not enabled. Again, it is getting the color information from the drivers for your monitor and then adjusting the video card output to be as accurate as possible.
4) Displays will also look different if the CONTRAST is different. Not the Dynamic Contrast Ratio but the True Contrast Ratio. Most modern monitors are 1000:1 TCR and DCR is usually at least 20x higher than that (and a useless thing to know; TCR is the most important value for a monitor and the image quality won't look great until it exceeds 5000:1 TCR).
m
l
Related resources
!