Sign in with
Your question

Issue installing new soundcard

Last response: in Components
November 7, 2011 12:48:51 PM

Hi All

I am having some serious issues installing a new soundcard.

The card is an Auzentech X Raider 7.1. I am operating Windows Vista.

I have installed / uninstalled / reinstalled the card using the most up to date drivers from their website, and from the disk it came with. I have tried 2 different PCI slots as well.

I also disabled the onboard sound card through my Bios.

Every time I install the card it says it is detected, and seems to install the software correctly. However I get no sound at all (and a red X over the sounds icon in my system tray, despite the soundcard software icon appearing in the tray as well).

In the device manager it says that the card is working properly, and I still get no sound after disabling / enabling the card through there.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my basic system specs - if you need more details please let me know:
Operating System
MS Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 33 °C
Venice 90nm Technology
RAM
2.50 GB Single-Channel DDR @ 201MHz (3-4-4-8)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) 40 °C
Graphics
L1970HR (1280x1024@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5670 (Sapphire/PCPartner) 25 °C
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
Optical Drives
LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S ATA Device
VCJ F49ARW9 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
C-Media PCI Audio Device

Thanks a million!
November 7, 2011 1:07:40 PM

The X-Raider is an older card, not one I would recommend at this point, but should still be supported.

First and formost: did you select the card as the default audio output device from the Windows control panel?
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:11:26 PM

Thanks gamerk316,

Noob question - where would I find the windows controller panel? I'll double check to make sure its selected.

Thanks again for you help!
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 1:20:57 PM

Sorry - if this is referring to the standard windows control panel, yes I believe I selected the new card as the default in the "sounds" section of the control panel (this card has the green check mark next to it). I think this was done automatically during the installation.
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:27:11 PM

Is the SPDIF plugged in?
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:33:17 PM

Hi DelroyMonjo,

This is my first time installing a discrete soundcard. Do I need to attach any cables internally to the card? I only inserted it into the PCI slot - I have not attached any other cables to it...

Someone also recommended that I can turn SPDIF off in the card software... would you recommend this?

Thanks for your help!
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:57:47 PM

Thanks Davcon,

I have tried those drivers and still had no luck.

I believe my main user profile has admin rights - is there an easy way to check in Vista?
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:10:46 PM

prestonsterling said:
Thanks Davcon,

I have tried those drivers and still had no luck.

I believe my main user profile has admin rights - is there an easy way to check in Vista?

Takes a couple of tries sometimes for soundcard drivers to take.
You should be able to install drivers as admin .
Right click file = run as admin.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:15:46 PM

Thanks!

Would you recommend uninstalling the card / drivers through the device manager?

Also, do you think the SPDIF cable is an issue? Does this need to be attached to my graphics card (or somewhere else) for the card to work? or can i get basic functionality without it?
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:24:54 PM

prestonsterling said:
Thanks!

Would you recommend uninstalling the card / drivers through the device manager?

Also, do you think the SPDIF cable is an issue? Does this need to be attached to my graphics card (or somewhere else) for the card to work? or can i get basic functionality without it?

Dump the whole thing in add/remove programs..
Don't use SPDIF, never have, i think it''s a non issue at this point until the drivers load properly.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:36:46 PM

Thanks!

According to the deice manager it does say they the drivers are "working properly," except I still have the red X on the sound icon in the system tray. I'll try to uninstall through add/remove programs, but wont this only remove the software? Or will it also wipe the drivers as well?

Thanks again for your help!
m
l
November 7, 2011 4:20:06 PM

Ok, the next thing I want to test: When you open the Windows Control Panel, when you attempt to play some audio file, do the green volume bars next to the soundcard move up and down? If so, that indicates the OS thinks its giving the card data, if not, then the card likely isn't installed right.
m
l
November 7, 2011 4:23:31 PM

Also, the red X for the volume indicator within windows usually means that either the soundcard is muted, or no soundcard is installed. Thats why I'm interested to see what the above test I recommend does...
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:01:59 PM

Thanks everyone!

I'll try out all this out tonight . I really appreciate all the help and advice.

i'll post an update once i get through some of the suggests.

Thanks again!
m
l
November 7, 2011 10:33:59 PM

OK - So here is the update.

I uninstalled the drivers, and reinstalled the newest drivers from the suggested site as admin.

Installation seemed to go OK, thought it prompted me to restart (saying it was complete) about halfway through the progress bar.

Upon restart, I still got no sound. I opened up the PCI 3D Audio configuration program from my system tray and played around with a bunch of settings... still the red X over the sound icon in the bottom corner. S/PDIF Output is off and the output mode is set to 2 speaker (analog), though it does say its outputting digital audio @ 48KHz.

In the device manager it says that the device is working properly as well.

Under the control panel -> sounds section, the C-Media PCI device has a green check next to it (indicating it is the default?).

The last recommended test did yield some strange results. When I hover over the sound icon in the system tray it says "Volume:0. Speakers. C Media PCI Audio Device." HOWEVER, when I right click and go to "open volume mixer" it says: "No Audio Device is installed" !!!

Any idea of what this means? I assume it is that the drivers are in fact NOT installing correctly, or that the software is just not working with my system.

Any thoughts? Is it possible to get a newer set of drivers from another source?

Thanks again for all your help everyone!
m
l
November 8, 2011 6:27:58 AM

one quick fix you can try is:

Go to control panel- device manager- and select the high definition audio device, select the driver tab and click disable, then enable the driver. That will reset the driver

you can also check if windows audio service is started

if it is a windows problem you will eventually be able to correct it unless your card is not compatible with your version of windows .for other methods of correcting the problem I refer you to this thread here

if it is a BIOS problem i.e. your card is not detected by your BIOS and thus not by windows you will most likely need to assign an IRQ # to your card, refer to your Motherboard manual for that.

cheers
m
l
November 8, 2011 11:22:15 AM

What I think is happening is the drivers, for whatever reason, are NOT installing. The fact the card is seen as a generic C-Media Audio Device points to that fact as well. I'm not sure why that is though...
m
l
November 8, 2011 8:41:04 PM

Weird. Any ideas on how I can make sure the drivers are installing correctly? Is is possible to get some drivers from somewhere else?

I may just return the card and buy another... (or just try and fix the initial issue with my on-board card!)

Thanks again everyone... will update later on once I've ran the suggested fixes.
m
l
November 8, 2011 9:58:55 PM

OK, so I've tried the device manager disable / enable thing... no luck.

I went into service.msc and say that both plug and play and windows audio services were started (automatically).

Any thoughts on where i can get other drivers?

Perhaps from here: http://www.cmedia.com.tw/EN/DownloadCenter_Detail2.aspx...

would the CMI8768+ drivers work? I think I'm currently installing CMI8768 (no "+") drivers with the software.

Thanks!
m
l
November 8, 2011 11:04:20 PM

OK. So I think I'm giving up this one.

2 options now:

1) replace this with another card - What are your thoughts on this card as a replacement?
http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=040408

2) try and fix the problem i initially bought the card to fix! The reason I wanted to buy a discrete card is because I can't get my on-board mic jack to work. Any thoughts on drivers I could install to try and fix this? (and save money on buying another card!)

Here are my specs running the on-board card:

Operating System
MS Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 36 °C
Venice 90nm Technology
RAM
2.50 GB Single-Channel DDR @ 201MHz (3-4-4-8)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) 40 °C
Graphics
L1970HR (1280x1024@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5670 (Sapphire/PCPartner) 31 °C
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
Optical Drives
LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S ATA Device
VCJ F49ARW9 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek AC'97 Audio

Thanks again for all your help. I TRULY appreciate it.
m
l
!