Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The Perfect Build for Me.

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 9, 2011 4:43:34 PM

I need to find the perfect build for me. I will be buying the parts somewhere by the end of this month.
Where will I buy from? only from newegg.
My budget: $1100 nothing above that please!
Parts not required: monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.
Parts needed: intel core i5 2500k.
Overclocking? In the future; not right away
sli/crossfire? No, I would rather have 1 single strong card and buy a newer and better card in the future.

Basically, I want a strong build for $1100. I want a good motherboard, a good case for cooling(should be cheap, think I will go with the haf912) once I begin to overclock. A single graphics card which will max out most if not all games currently. No I will not want to sli or crossfire. I think that right now I will go with a nvidia card unless someone could convince me otherwise. What else? Please try to stay in the budget, and try not to give me combo deals. I know they are really good but I still do not know exactly when I will be buying, which may result in the combo deal being over.

With all of this said, please someone help me find the best build I could get for the money. Thank you so much!

More about : perfect build

August 9, 2011 5:05:58 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/317203-31-bestconfigs...

Try this link to get some ideas, if you take my build and add a SSD you should be right at your budget limit and that build will smoke.

Here are the builds if you do not care to see the forum link:

Leo's Favorite Build

Processor - Intel i5 2500k - $179.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0354589

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 - $144.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

RAM - G. Skill Ripjaws X 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 1.5v CAS8 -$74.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $29.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0315397

Graphics card - MSI GTX 570 - $329.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Power supply - XFX 650w -$89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] =haf%20912

Hard drive - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB - $59.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0340562

DVD Burner - Samsung Lightscribe 22x Burner w/ Dual/Double Layer - $24.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0293535

Total Price: $994.92






techo's Build

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K : $219.99

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard : $129.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL : $59.99

Graphics Card: HIS H695FN2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity : $259.99

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive : $59.99

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case : $59.99

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power : $109.99 - 15.00 mail in rebate: $ 94.99

DVD Burner: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM: $18.99

Total Price: $903.99





Mjmj's $1000 Gaming Great

i5 2500k & Rosewill CHALLENGER 254$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.669841

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 140$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

CORSAIR XMS 4GB 33$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Antec High Current Gamer Series 750w 70$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti x2=400$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Seagate Barracuda 500GB & LG DVD Burner 51$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.668011

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 30$- http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis [...] dition=new

Total Price: $978
August 9, 2011 5:07:00 PM

Sorry my links did not copy over, but the link to the discussion/poll will have them provided there
Related resources
August 9, 2011 5:18:23 PM
August 9, 2011 5:40:41 PM

$900 build here!
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
I suggest getting the ability to CF/SLI instead of buying a new card. When you CF/SLI you save money for the performance you gain really. For instance 2x6850 cost about $320. A single 570 costs $330. The 6850 CF is quite a bit better than the 570. So just IMO, allowing for CF/SLI or Going with that in the future is a better deal than optimizing for one card.

6850 CF vs 570
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/302?vs=306
In fact, quite a bit better.
August 9, 2011 8:37:19 PM

sadams I like your build especially because it has a gtx 580! I think that the power supply is pretty weak though... would 600w really be good? I would rather spend some extra money and be safe if I had too.
And about the motherboard, what is the difference between the ASUS P8P67 and the gigabyte Z68X? Which one would be better for me?
August 10, 2011 12:32:51 PM

Max power consumption would be around 450w for that system. If it were a "no-name" brand PSU I would say go bigger also, but the Corsair PSU is a good unit that gives you headroom for overclocking and upgrading.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

The reasons to choose Z68 over P67 are for SSD caching and Virtu. Not sure Virtu makes sense (blending the onboard video with a discrete card) with the GTX 580 unless you want to reduce power consumption. The SSD caching is nice if you want to invest in an SSD, but won't get you any more FPS while gaming.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68-express-lucidlo...

Either of those boards will do well.
August 10, 2011 2:53:12 PM

Alright, and should I stick with 4gb memory, or just spend a bit more for 8gb?
August 10, 2011 3:48:11 PM

While 4GB (2x2GB) is probably all you need, 8GB (2x4GB) is debatable. Not from a functionality standpoint, but in regards to price. Note that the memory in my build is DDR3-1600 CL7 1.5v and that is fast memory at the $55 price point. Going with DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5v does not cost much more. Obviously CL7 is faster than CL9, but it isn't all that noticable. The two below would be the ones I would look at for CL9. If you have the budget go with 8GB (2x4GB) of CL7...


GSkill (Out of stock, but will probably be back) => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 10, 2011 6:51:02 PM

I think I have made a strong build for myself. I will post it in a new thread later today.
Sadam I changed some parts for the better(my opinion) and got the price down a bit :) 
I think I am happy.
August 10, 2011 7:01:14 PM

sadams04 said:
Max power consumption would be around 450w for that system. If it were a "no-name" brand PSU I would say go bigger also, but the Corsair PSU is a good unit that gives you headroom for overclocking and upgrading.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

The reasons to choose Z68 over P67 are for SSD caching and Virtu. Not sure Virtu makes sense (blending the onboard video with a discrete card) with the GTX 580 unless you want to reduce power consumption. The SSD caching is nice if you want to invest in an SSD, but won't get you any more FPS while gaming.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68-express-lucidlo...

Either of those boards will do well.


You also get Quick sync on the Z68 with the ability to OC since H67 have Quick sync and no OC.
Quick Sync lets you encode videos in a short amount of time. No graphic cards right now can match it.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i...

Z68, virtu has two modes: Power saver which uses the onboard output as primary and discrete as 2nd.
Performance: Discrete as primary and onboard and secondary.
August 10, 2011 7:24:44 PM

Throw in a gtx 580 and whatever case, h/d, etc...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $109.99 FREE SHIPPING
ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $114.99
ASRock Z68 PRO3-M LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99 - $49.99 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply


http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4100/asrock_z68_pro3_m... <---- review of that board
August 10, 2011 8:36:04 PM

is this a strong build?

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $20.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $60

MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video - $349.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power - $109.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - $54.99

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $179.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K - $219.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM - $99.99

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -$60

TOTAL PRICE: $1176.00 (including shipping and tax cost)
I think its an alright build... What do you guys say? The gtx 570 works fine on games too does it not?
August 10, 2011 8:50:04 PM

justjohn5 said:
is this a strong build?

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $20.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $60

MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video - $349.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power - $109.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - $54.99

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $179.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K - $219.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM - $99.99

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -$60

TOTAL PRICE: $1176.00 (including shipping and tax cost)
I think its an alright build... What do you guys say? The gtx 570 works fine on games too does it not?

You want a 800+w psu to push two of those cards...which doesn't really matter seeing how you want a single card set up. Which goes back to that Antec psu I posted. Also that Asus board you have is meant for a dual card set up. Again it's spendy but again it's a board meant for dual cards.
August 10, 2011 8:56:25 PM

Ok so what board would be for a single card setup? Sorry I am a serious noob when it comes to motherboards..

And is the antec psu better than the corsair I have picked?
August 10, 2011 9:21:50 PM

justjohn5 said:
Ok so what board would be for a single card setup? Sorry I am a serious noob when it comes to motherboards..

And is the antec psu better than the corsair I have picked?

Either one of those two Asrock boards I posted in my first post on this thread are meant for a single card set up and will work just fine. Both of those boards o/c well. That Antec psu I posted is on sale atm, and it will easily push a single gtx 580 and leave you plenty of juice left over for o/c, extra drives, fans, etc...
August 10, 2011 9:59:11 PM

MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video - $494.99
or
PNY VCGGTX580XPB GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card- $459.99

Does it really make a difference anymore? Both are really good but one is cheaper.
IS PNY trusted? Since I am getting a gtx 580 I dont think it really matters anymore on what brand..
!