AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition mobo compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

cluelessgamer_93

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hi there! I am currently preparing to build my very first computer, and have begun to research heavily. I am currently stumped on how to determine the compatibility between the psu and motherboard you would buy.

I know to stay in the family (amd with amd intel with intel) and that you need to know the bus speed is the same as well (I think)
I however cant find the bus speed for my motherboard (not even sure if you can on the site I provided.)
I want to get an ASUS F1A75-V PRO AMD A Series Motherboard

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=722908&pagenumber=2&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=REVIEWS#CustomerReviewsBlock

And I would like to get an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5692033&Sku=A79-1965

(I've picked these solely on price and customer feedback if you have any other suggestions it would be much appreciated)

This site has been so helpful with my past problems and I would appreciate any advice you have to offer greatly!

:bounce:

Solution
You need to look at the socket type and TDP compatibility more than anything else with current gen CPU's and motherboards, and the board that you linked is Socket FM1 and totally incompatible with the Socket AM3 965 BE.

For the 965BE, you need an AM3 or AM3+ motherboard that is compatible with 125W TDP CPU's.

Like this (CompUSA link): ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 990X Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, CrossFireX/SLI Ready

That board is compatible with a 965BE, as well as with Bulldozer and the upcoming Piledriver CPU's.
If you look at the cpu name, it tells you what socket you need: in this case, the 965 BE is an AM3 cpu(meaning it will work on am3/am3+/and i think 2+ with bios update but in nerfed format). the 965 BE will not work on an FM1 board, which is designed for A-Series Llano chips

You need to look at the socket type and TDP compatibility more than anything else with current gen CPU's and motherboards, and the board that you linked is Socket FM1 and totally incompatible with the Socket AM3 965 BE.

For the 965BE, you need an AM3 or AM3+ motherboard that is compatible with 125W TDP CPU's.

Like this (CompUSA link): ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 990X Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, CrossFireX/SLI Ready

That board is compatible with a 965BE, as well as with Bulldozer and the upcoming Piledriver CPU's.

Solution

cluelessgamer_93

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Well as always this site delivers on advice thank you all so much! Its great to have people give advice when building a computer, it can make it seem less daunting and clear! I do beleive ill be going withth ASUS M5A99X EVO thanks a bunch! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.